PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Aaron Curry Falls?

I really like Curry as a prospect but I think it's ridiculous to say, well he's better than Mayo when Mayo has already shown us that he is ROTY caliber in the pros and Curry has proven nothing.

If Curry drops to the 8-10 range, then yeah the Pats should consider moving up. However, you are giving up 2 good players in a deep draft to get a very good player (who is not a passrusher) so you have to consider that carefully before making the move. In BB I trust.

Read my post, I dont think anyone is saying he is better than Mayo I am saying he is a better prospect than Mayo was last year.

Read my post, I dont think anyone is saying he is better than Mayo I am saying he is a better prospect than Mayo was last year.

There seems to be general agreement that Curry is a better prospect right now than Mayo was at this time last year, or that Patrick Willis was at this time in 2007. Of course, at this time last year Curry was rated as a 3rd round pick. Who knows how high Mayo would have been rated had he come out a year later?

I think there's no doubt Curry is a legitimate top 10 pick, and one of the 5 best players in this draft. But I think that he may fall a tiny bit because of the money issue for an LB.

OK - if you had to chooise would you take say Beatty/Barwin or Curry?

Id rather have two top 34 players then one ...

I'll do the poll for you.

OK - if you had to chooise would you take say Beatty/Barwin or Curry?

Id rather have two top 34 players then one ...

I got one for everybody...Aaron Curry falls to number 9, would you trade #23 and #34?

Coming from a former GM that primarily knows 4-3 strong outside LBs I take his opinion as a grain of salt.
I thought the Texans ran a 3-4?

Not that I don't think Casserly isn't a dope.

I got one for everybody...Aaron Curry falls to number 9, would you trade #23 and #34?

Very good question. According to the traditional value chart, #9 is worth 1350 points and #10 1300 points. #23 + #34 is worth 1320 points, so the value is about right. I think you have to give it very serious consideration.

There's no guarantee that whomever we want would be available at 23 and 34. Getting Curry would be a sure thing (we wouldn't do the trade if he weren't available). Curry, Mayo and Adalius Thomas would give us 3/4 of the best LB corps in the NFL. We could then use 47 and 58 on some combination of OL, S, DE or even another LB, possibly using #89 or 124 to trade up.

I'd have to give it very serious thought. It might be worth it.

I think Curry is worth trading up for, but all I can think about is the trade we made in 07, which allowed us to get Mayo, Moss, Crable, etc. Maybe that was a one-time, all-the-stars-are-aligned sort of proposition, but I have to think that we could make better use of the picks than trading up to 9 or 10 for Curry. Of course, I'd be ecstatic if we did! Assuming that Crable, Woods, Redd, TBC, etc., plays well across from Thomas, we'd have the best LB corp in the NFL, bar none.

But . . . what if we traded out of 23, picked up a first next year (for Spikes, who I like just as well if not better than Curry), and also gave ourselves more room to get everyone in under the cap? I think we will get serviceable play from our ILB rotation this year, and can upgrade next year.

Maybe that's gambling too much on the future, though; the way our team is built, we're a dominant defensive player away from the SB. A pass rush would help mightily, but with Curry & Mayo, no one could run on us. Now there's a satisfying thought.

I can't wait for draft day! :D

I think Curry is worth trading up for, but all I can think about is the trade we made in 07, which allowed us to get Mayo, Moss, Crable, etc. Maybe that was a one-time, all-the-stars-are-aligned sort of proposition, but I have to think that we could make better use of the picks than trading up to 9 or 10 for Curry. Of course, I'd be ecstatic if we did! Assuming that Crable, Woods, Redd, TBC, etc., plays well across from Thomas, we'd have the best LB corp in the NFL, bar none.

But . . . what if we traded out of 23, picked up a first next year (for Spikes, who I like just as well if not better than Curry), and also gave ourselves more room to get everyone in under the cap? I think we will get serviceable play from our ILB rotation this year, and can upgrade next year.

Maybe that's gambling too much on the future, though; the way our team is built, we're a dominant defensive player away from the SB. A pass rush would help mightily, but with Curry & Mayo, no one could run on us. Now there's a satisfying thought.

I can't wait for draft day! :D

I think you're gambling too much on the future. I like Spikes as much as you do, but not more than Curry. Plus, there's no guarantee that an extra 2010 pick would get us to Spikes next year.

I say we sit tight and see who falls. We have a lot of trade up options available to us:

- 23 + 34 gets us to 8 or 9. Aaron Curry, BJ Raji, or an OT might be worth it.
- 23 + 47 (or 23 + 58 + 89) gets us to around 11-12. Any of the first group of players might slip that far, plus Malcolm Jenkins.
- 23 + 58 gets us to around 14.
- 34 + 47 gets us to around 16.
- 34 + 58 gets us to around 18.

We can see who falls and test the waters at any time, with lots of options to trade later on if the fit is not right. Or stay right where we are and still get terrific value, or even trade back. There's no need to panic. Having so many picks gives us a multitude of options that wouldn't otherwise be available.

We could still easily come out of this draft with Aaron Curry/BJ Raji/Andre Smith/Malcolm Jenkins, plus at least 2 2nd round picks, if we choose.

While I believe Curry would help us I think BB will take who he believes will Fit the system best and not necassary the best player available. He wants a smart player who will play in his system. Mayo fit that last year when we drafted him.

While I believe Curry would help us I think BB will take who he believes will Fit the system best and not necassary the best player available. He wants a smart player who will play in his system. Mayo fit that last year when we drafted him.

So is Curry not smart? I'm not in favor of moving up in this draft myself but I hadn't heard any intelligence questionmarks about Curry. I know that Maualuga and Delmas' iq have both been questioned and both scored low on the wonderlic.

So is Curry not smart? I'm not in favor of moving up in this draft myself but I hadn't heard any intelligence questionmarks about Curry. I know that Maualuga and Delmas' iq have both been questioned and both scored low on the wonderlic.

I don't think that it's fair to lump Maualuga and Delmas into the same intellectual category. Maualuga really is as smart as a bag of hammers, on and off the field. Delmas was a field general at W. Mich, many times calling secondary checks, ID hots and primaries and showed a penchant for baiting and jumping option routes. He ain't no dumbass.

Towards Curry, he is for me the only defensive player I can validate moving the 23 and a second (or a pair of for that matter) to get. Put him next to Mayo with him at Mike and Mayo at Will. Grab your OLB or Delmas at 34 and you've got the building blocks for the next great Patriot linebacker corps.

I say we sit tight and see who falls. We have a lot of trade up options available to us:

- 23 + 34 gets us to 8 or 9. Aaron Curry, BJ Raji, or an OT might be worth it.
- 23 + 47 (or 23 + 58 + 89) gets us to around 11-12. Any of the first group of players might slip that far, plus Malcolm Jenkins.
- 23 + 58 gets us to around 14.
- 34 + 47 gets us to around 16.
- 34 + 58 gets us to around 18.

Just in case we're not through dealing with Pioli and KC:

Washington to #3 (KC) for #13 and 2010 picks -- the Pats to #13 for #23 and #58

Wash gets their QB -- KC adds picks for '09 and 2010 -- the Pats get their target for only a #2

Just in case we're not through dealing with Pioli and KC:

Washington to #3 (KC) for #13 and 2010 picks -- the Pats to #13 for #23 and #58

Wash gets their QB -- KC adds picks for '09 and 2010 -- the Pats get their target for only a #2

Or the Pats trade #13 and #89 to move up to around #10 or so, right where we picked last year. That could end up being Aaron Curry or BJ Raji. With 34 and 47 still to come.

If we were to trade up for Curry at #11, land English at #34 and Moore at #58, I think I would soil myself.

If we were to trade up for Curry at #11, land English at #34 and Moore at #58, I think I would soil myself.

You might wanna invest in "Depens", I have the feeling Saturday is gonna be big day for Pats fans......

When was the last time we had 4 of the first 58 picks?....

I think we are gonna add 3 key players that will become nucleus players for several years......

I'm buckling up early! :cool:

Last year Jacksonville traded up from 26 to 8, giving up #71, 89, and 125. #71 + 125 = 282 points by the draft value charts. #58 = 320 points by the chart. So potentially, 23 + 58 + 89 should get us to #8 this year, which is coincidentally held by Jacksonville, who reportedly is desperate to trade back. We would be offering them more than they gave Baltimore last year (23 higher than 26, 89 equal to 89 last year, and 58 greater than 71 + 125). 8 could well get us to Aaron Curry, BJ Raji, or a top OT. We would keep 34 and 47 in that scenario, which would give us equal or better draft position than we had last year before the idiot commish took away our #31 pick.

Jacksonville is NOT desparate to trade down. They badly needed a WR and an OT. Now that they have signed Holt, the pressure is off. I still think they might take Maclin. Holt and Macline would be huge upgrade for Jacksonville.

Last year Jacksonville traded up from 26 to 8, giving up #71, 89, and 125. #71 + 125 = 282 points by the draft value charts. #58 = 320 points by the chart. So potentially, 23 + 58 + 89 should get us to #8 this year, which is coincidentally held by Jacksonville, who reportedly is desperate to trade back. We would be offering them more than they gave Baltimore last year (23 higher than 26, 89 equal to 89 last year, and 58 greater than 71 + 125). 8 could well get us to Aaron Curry, BJ Raji, or a top OT. We would keep 34 and 47 in that scenario, which would give us equal or better draft position than we had last year before the idiot commish took away our #31 pick.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back