PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I notice about Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukin

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1194228589_9414.jpg

There you go! (But, please: for me, it was one of the greatest catches ever.) :)

Thanks a lot... and yeah, I agree. Greatest catch ever... I didn't want anyone to yell at me for that :D

I agree with all of this, and as the last poster mentioned, he'll get his calls against him. At least now we know that we can overcome those, and better yet, have them turned into interceptions.

I look at Moss this way; I can remember vividly the days that he was compared to Jerry Rice, as if Rice was some kind of unstoppable force. Randy is head and shoulders above Rice, and gave up a few years to Oakland to boot. He's only 31. He's got a lot of years to go, God willing they end with the Pats. Thinking on it now, we should have gotten him earlier, before he went to "The Place where Great Recievers come to Die."

So far with 9 games of watching this guy play i've noticed he's always calm and cool. Nothing phases this guy.

He's had 2 Bull Off-PI calls on him and he just takes it calmly. He's been PI'd a couple times and still he just looks at the ref and then goes on to the next play. (pissed i'm sure but you'd never notice it)

So far no big spikes, flexing, talking trash, getting face to face with another guy. (that i can recall) Just plays ball very cool and calm.

Look at the colts game. Everybody was fired up. Brady was charged, Welker was ready to fight someone....the defense was all pumped up (i loved seeing them take it to a level the colts couldn't) but moss was cool just catching 9 balls for 145 yards.

Moss had the rep of giving up and dogging it. People said he gave up on oaklland....looks like thats just how he is. Calm, cool, relaxed...you'd never know from looking at him that he's in a big game.

Thats how i see it now.

Last edited:
Stallworth said it..Moss is not a fiery guy on the field. But he was fired up after that 1 handed catch in middle of field.

Stallworth said it..Moss is not a fiery guy on the field. But he was fired up after that 1 handed catch in middle of field.

That was one of the greatest catches I've ever seen by a Patriot.

That was one of the greatest catches I've ever seen by a Patriot.

I thought it was one of the greatest catches of all time. Across the middle, into covereage, completely outstretched with defenders bearing down, pulls it in with one hand, never touches the ball with his other hand, tucks it, and picks up a couple before getting tackled. Just Awesome!!

That was spectacular. One of the greatest catches I have seen this season... I wish I had a picture of it.

PS - Awesome sig.

I was most impressed with how Moss, seemingly knew what he needed to do to change the game.
He was coming over the middle, which most wr's hate to do.
He laid himself out for that one handed catch.
He caught the deep ball despite the PI contact. (just in case there wasn't a call, that was big)
He asserted himself, when Brady needed him most.

If we win the Super Bowl this year (Randy's first ring) then does he get mentioned with Rice as the best receiver ever? I feel like Rice is at some untouchable level and while he is consistent for so many years, I don't recall the WOW factor that Moss seems to show us a few times a year.

Randy Moss should have said, "Just like Tom finally has his receivers, I finally got a quarterback."

That was spectacular. One of the greatest catches I have seen this season... I wish I had a picture of it.

PS - Awesome sig.

1194228589_9414.jpg

There you go! (But, please: for me, it was one of the greatest catches ever.) :)

If we win the Super Bowl this year (Randy's first ring) then does he get mentioned with Rice as the best receiver ever? I feel like Rice is at some untouchable level and while he is consistent for so many years, I don't recall the WOW factor that Moss seems to show us a few times a year.

Randy Moss should have said, "Just like Tom finally has his receivers, I finally got a quarterback."

As much as Moss is my favorite player of all time...let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Moss has more talent than Rice thats for sure...but I wouldnt put Moss with Rice as the best receiver in NFL history until he has atleast a couple of super bowl rings...

Moss is a first ballot HOF though in my humble opinion...

Last edited:
As much as Moss is my favorite player of all time...let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Moss has more talent than Rice thats for sure...but I wouldnt put Moss with Rice as the best receiver in NFL history until he has atleast a couple of super bowl rings...

What impresses me is that I have actually seen Moss block. No way was he supposed to do that. Some are real decent, others he gets in the way, but this is an "value add" for sure.
How many people who questioned Welker for a #2 and #7 would now say "steal" but his job is made easier by Moss.
Moss has made everyone look better this year.
Keep up the great work Randy.
DW Toys

Greatest catches this season? LOL, those are some high standards. That's the greatest catch I've ever seen. The first thing I thought of was what that would have looked like last year....an incompletion on a pass that was too high, or possibly a turnover.

Moss is a revelation.

Last edited:

Rice's biggest claim to fame is all of his receiving records and the incredible distance he has between himself and the second place guy for all of them. Receptions, yards, TDs, etc. He would be considered the #1 pass receiver of all time even if he had no rings, although they certainly don't hurt. For pure talent, speed and hands, though, Moss is better. Rice was known to display alligator arms a few times in his career, although maybe all receivers have at one time or another. Rice only had 4.5 40 yard speed. What is Rice, 4.3 something?

As for hall of fame for Moss, we don't know how many writers will hold his Oakland years against him. He still deserves first ballot to me though.

He's had 2 Bull Off-PI calls on him

I agree that he's really handled these like a pro. Just walks back to the huddle with a "we'll get them next time" attitude.

In fact, if I had to pick one single difference between the last two colts games, it might very well be that in the AFCCG, we couldn't overcome the offensive PI called in the first half (I think on Troy Brown). That one took points off the board. If we could have scored points there, or gotten another first down and then points, I think the game would have been out of reach for the Colts. As it was, they came back and got a quick score and then got the ball back to start the second half. (At least that's how I recall it; maybe I'm a bit off.) In this game, we overcame the offensive PI and scored anyway.

But, I digress. Back to Moss and offensive PI. I fell like a real contrarian on this board sometimes, but is it forbidden to admit that subtle offensive PI is definitely part of his game? Kind of like the little nudge that Michael Jordan would give defenders to create space for himself. Randy has learned to make space for himself without extending his arms, which is when it tends to get called.

In fact, there are a few times where I've been expecting the flag but it didn't come. I think the call in the Colts game was almost a reputation call -- if one were to put together a 2007 Randy Moss highlight package and show it to refs, I can see where they might be on the alert for it a little. They also would surely see that he gets interfered with about the half the time, which is why I think he generally doesn't get called for PI that often; the officials take a "good for the goose is good for the gander" approach when guys have their hands all over Randy and he slaps them away. All that said, as sure as I'm sitting here, he's going to get called for it a couple more times this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes