Welcome to PatsFans.com

What I hope to see from the Offense tomorrow.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brownfan80, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is by no means a prediction, it's simply what I'd like to see happen based on the results from this seasons games so far.

I think that in order for this game to easily be in hand by the 4th quarter the Patriots should employ much the same gamplan on offense as last week.

Against the Bengals the Patriots ran 17 times in the first half and passed 12. While we do not need to play 'keep away' from Miami, a run heavy ratio tomorrow would accomplish two things:

1. It will tire out that aging defense by late in the game, opening up holes for our running game to gash in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. As we saw last week, this can be very fun to watch.

2. It will put pressure on a bad Miami offense to score points in a short amount of time. By running heavily and utilizing time of possession we can force Miami's bad offense into pressure situations that I do not think they are equipped to handle.

While some may think that passing against Miami for an early lead would be wise, forcing their offense to keep up with ours etc, I do not think that's prudent. Brady, historically, has a hard time passing against even bad Miami teams.

Our running game with Corey and Maroney should be able to wear down that old defensive line and linebacking corps, taking the pressure off of Brady and placing it squarely on the shoulders of whichever QB the fins line up with.

If our offense can eat up clock and yardage on the ground then our defense should be well rested and raring to attack that poor Miami OL and disrupt Culpepper or Harrington.

I think that if we run the ball heavily we're in for a laugher by the 4th quarter.

Again, this isn't a prediction as to what will happen, but when I go to bed tonite this is what the game will look like in my dreams. :)
  2. Ceresco

Ceresco Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Run the ball, Stop the Run , Win the game.
  3. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

SMASHMOUTH. Oldschool. That's what I'm talkin' about. :D
  4. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

well of course - every team sets out to dominate on the ground if they can.

but what usually happens is there are varying degrees of success with that and so you have to have a good balance with the passing attack to keep the defense guessing. I think the pats will run a bunch, but if the phins determine to stop the run, then the pass becomes a good option.
    as long as the pats 'd' can stop the phins, then they'll have a tough time matching our scoring. the way they've been playing, they'll need a big turnaround to hang with us, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    while I can see the pats winning handily, I'd be porepared for a tight game that the pats win by playing strong and smart, and just having it more together than them. the only thing that scares me is the phins are playin for their season, basically.
  5. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned about a simular gameplan as the Cincy game. Pass it enough to make the defense play honest. Use playaction to stop them from bolting into the running lanes, but still come out with a run-heavy ratio. I can't wait for the game, I hope we win! :D
  6. BelizePats

BelizePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

To me it's simple: Can the Pats run on Miami's D? If the answer is yes, we win!
  7. BelizePats

BelizePats Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Agreed completely! If it's not working (and I think it will) we have to adapt and adjust. What I like about the way this offence is shaping up is that I think we have the talent to do exactly that, if need be. (Insert Mcdanials rant here) LOL!!!!!!!
    Cheers.
  8. RPCity

RPCity Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well kind of. When you're trying to establish a running game, you have to be dedicated to it and stay consistent. You have to ware down the defense. It should get more and more effective as the game goes along.

In other cases...its just not working. Like against Denver. Thats the risk you take when you run. You make adjustments, but if you think running is going to be the most effective way to beat a defense, you can't just give it up. Thats what makes scouting and game planning so important.
  9. hwc

hwc Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well, something must be working on offense. The Pats are 4th in yardage, 11th in scoring offense.

I'd like to see them keep up the balance. So far: 133 pass attempts, 142 rush attempts.

I think there's enough game film now that opponents will be very reluctant to overplay the passing game and ignore the run. With Brady at QB, forcing defenses to respect the run is the cat's meow. The play action has been mind-boggling the last couple of weeks. Brady's had all day in the pocket.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Offensively I agree keep the balance, keep them off guard and play some smashmouth. Let our RB trio tire them out, neutralize Jason Taylor. Integrate Chad Jackson, if activated..

Defensive football is the key, stop Ronnie Brown.. and keep whoever is playing QB completely off balance, if it is Culpepper chase him around a lot and if it is Harrington confuse the hell out of him. Our Defense is emerging and it would be nice to go into the bye with a performance comparable to what we did in Cincinnati... I would also like our ST's to continue doing well and see a couple of turnovers by our D.
  11. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think you might be guilty of seeing the Phins record and assuming they suck in all areas. The Phins are playing pretty good D. They are not letting teams run the ball all over them as Cincy did.

Bottom line:
    -Expect Miami (and everyone else for that matter) to put 8 in the box to stop our run. We will not see that cease until we establish our air attack in the coming weeks. Miami's run D is not vulnerable like Cincy's run D was.
    -Shut down their run game (if we don't do this I am going to need therapy)
    making their O put the ball in the air (I expect our D to get some TO's)
    -Our O moves the chains bit by bit making their D stay on the field too long, hopefully resulting in a tiring Phin D and too many scoring opportunities for the Phins to even be able to counter (should happen unless their O suddenly now gets "it" or our D lays an egg). Expect our O to have a fair share of passing on first downs and expect plenty of play action. I see Kevin Faulk's number getting called quite a bit tomorrow..........
  12. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think yes. The Miami offense is not one that is expected to score many points. Of course, if they come out and get two TDs or something, this all changes, but I'd say wear them out even if you're only getting 3 yards a carry. It'll have them gassed by the end of the game.

If it's a defensive struggle early with a heavy run game, then you'll see us walking away with an easy one at the end of it. This isn't Indy or one of those high scoring teams we're talking about, this is the Dolphins. They scored only 15 against the Texans last week. We don't need to pound the scoreboard to beat this team, we need to pound their trenches.
  13. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No, actually I live in south Florida so I've seen every Miami game that's been on at a different time than the Patriots games. I know they still have a pretty good run defense, and a pretty good pass defense. But I also know that they struggle on offense to the point of hilarity.

I think that if you grind it out on their defense, destroying their trenches even if it takes time to do so, then we'll walk away from this as the winner easily. Their offense is not ready to handle performing in a pressure environment. They are on the road.

And if we eat up time of possession with long sustained drives that are dominated by groundwork then we'll put their offense in automatic pressure situations where they have to score in a short amount of time.

Also, if the one thing that they're doing really well at is defense, then I say that is where we should attack. Don't avoid a team's one strength. Attack that strength until it too becomes weak and then force them to rely on one of their 'weaknesses' to win them the game. In this case, that'd be their offense.

That said, I don't care how we do it as long as we win. :D
  14. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well of course the scoreboard will dictate the gameplan, but what I'm hoping to see is that if it's 3-0 or 6-0 or something that we don't give up on the run even if it's only netting us 3 yards a pop. That's a situation that can still lead us into a productive second half.

Much like Cincy last week where the first half was 17-12 run pass ratio in the first half. Wear the D down while keeping them honest with playaction. Then in the second half they'll be tired. Keep them balanced with the passing game, but keep pounding their trenches on the ground.

We'll see I guess, but I hope it's a win regardless of how we get there.
  15. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Getting all pumped now as we prepare to take off for another glorious day at Gillette - will talk to y'all later.

# 23 & # 83

If we can stop those two 3's we will be just fine.
    Much easier said than done..Ronnie Brown leads the Dolphins in receiving I do believe and we usually are not great at finding that back coming out for screens and catches across the middle. I really worry about #83 as he is a beast on special teams and the exact kind of player that will give NE fits.

I also wonder if they start Joey today - not that he has shown anything, but change and health at the position may do them well.

All of that said, I think this will be close right into the 4th quarter where finally we will put this away. We ill cover but it will NOT be as easy as most think.
  16. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Well there's my boy Hobbs.

For the NEM is wrong tally count: Nem stated that Hobbs wouldn't get his starting job back after the injury. Here it is a week and a half later and Hobbs is out there with the first unit. I told him that he'd need to have some crow ready, so hopefully he does.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  17. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Come on Samuel... Three yards beyond the first down marker when the WR is two yards short of it? jeez.