PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I hate about you! Mocking Mocks- D

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBamsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Yesterday I posted Todd McShay's 7- round mock draft. The reviews were underwhelming from the posters who added comments. As we all have an idea that we know better than these national pundits when it comes to our Pats, I thought a better way to express these thoughts would be a systematic teardown. So the idea of this thread was to comment on any Pats selection made by these "experts". Please include links to the mocks in question. So that it doesn't become a mega-thread, this tread will be limited to 1st day choices on defense (another will be started on offensive choices).

I'll start. The 1st rd. selection by Todd McShay for the Pats was:

#21 A Cromartie DC Fl. St.- As he already has his own thread, I won't go to much into detail. I have a little problem w/ the thought BB & Co. would use a 1st rd. pick on someone w/ only 1 career start, no matter how athletic he is. Still on board- D Williams M Lawson B Carpenter L Maroney

Tough to see us using the #21 pick on the draft for someone coming off major knee surgery, Has only 1 start in his career, and has only played in 30- odd games. Much too risky a developement project (and would you want to use your 1st on a project anyway).

I'd use my first on a project within certain parameters. For example, Mankins qualifies as a project, as does Wilfork. Both may be easier to project then someone with Cromarties background, but they were projects. For the shot at a more athletic DE to OLB conversion, I'd use a first, but like Mankins and Wilfork, I'd want someone who actually played and has the production to prove it.

For those pondering why Wilfork is a project, think about the difference between Warren Sapp and Ted Washington as it applies to "baby Sapp".

SBF, thought you wanted links to the mocks? ;) Such a bad example you set. :D

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'd use my first on a project within certain parameters. For example, Mankins qualifies as a project, as does Wilfork. Both may be easier to project then someone with Cromarties background, but they were projects. For the shot at a more athletic DE to OLB conversion, I'd use a first, but like Mankins and Wilfork, I'd want someone who actually played and has the production to prove it.

For those pondering why Wilfork is a project, think about the difference between Warren Sapp and Ted Washington as it applies to "baby Sapp".

SBF, thought you wanted links to the mocks? ;) Such a bad example you set. :D

I agree. There are projects, then there are "projects", and without a body of work it is hard to see whether the later is worthwhile.

Link= http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34628 Caught me!

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=34655

Bing in the second isn't where I want a safety, especially with Jon Alston still on the board and available at #76 to be Rodney Jr. or Brian Iwuh who didn't make their 4 round cut, I like both much better for SS conversion.

Dumervil is a very interesting option, but one I'd wait to the second day for because his height doesn't translate well to OLB, and DE to ILB is a harder projection to place. I really like the kid's play in the Senior Bowl, I think he will be a good pro, but wait another round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes