PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I expected vs. what I got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
All I can really say is "Wow!"

I was pleasantly surprised by the Pats performance on Sunday.

Bill Belichick continues to impress me for his ability to see things in players and teams and schemes that most of the rest of us do not see.

So here are some key areas where I would like to humbly review my expectations vs. what the Pats actually delivered on Sunday.

1. Offense - I expected this to be a strong area on this team. My expectations were met.

I did not expect Wes Welker to be so strong so soon. He took hits and ran routes to precision. I passed on Wes for my Fantasy because I thought he would be slow getting up to speed. I will regret this, now, I know!

I did expect the tight ends to be heavily in the mix and they were. Hernandez' drop in the end zone notwithstanding, they were pretty much perfect. Great to see Gronk delivering a TD "Gronked!" to the Cincy defender!

Brady had all day to pass behind the O-Line, so I guess it's time to print up the "Logan Who?" t-shirts and sell them outside fo Foxboro!

2. Defense - I expected that this young defense would grow into itself and be pretty good by mid-season. I worried about these early games.

To paraphrase a line from the movie "Blow": "My friend, if you give me solid secondary play, I have no more worries."

These guys were simply AWESOME! The D-Line was pressuring Carson Palmer early. The LBs were active and hitting. Gary Guyton even gave us his best Tedy Bruschi impression on his INT/TD!

But I was most impressed with the young guns in the secondary, which was the area I thought would take the longest to gel. They were tight in coverage, for the most part, and hitting and pumping each other up all day!

TO & Ocho put up what had to be the quietest 19 catches for 212 yards and 1 TD in the history of the league!

I railed about drafting McCourty. I was wrong. This kid looks like he is going to be something special!

3. Special Teams - I had no expectations because I just don't follow special teams that much, but starting with the opening kickoff when we went down to drill the Cincy kick returner to Tate's TD to start the second half, this group demanded my attention.

4. The Running Game - The subject of so much off-season banter, I felt like I should include this here.

I expected a weak RBBC performance.

I got Fred Taylor looking like Fred Taylor from his days in Florida Field! Okay, not that bombastic, but the old-timer still ran hard and solid. You cannot argue with a 5.1 avg and a rip-off run off of 24 yards to keep everybody honest. I would have liked to see The Old Gator get the ball a little more, actually, but when you win like this - dominant in all phases of the game - I ain't complaining!

Also, because I have been an open critic, I was glad to see Laurence Maroney nowhere in sight in the running game. I think the writing is now clearly on the wall for SloMo. Looks like they are just keeping him around for she-ites and giggles, or in case of injury.

And finally, Kevin Faulk, we love you so much! Please don't ever change!

Last edited:
TO & Ocho put up what had to be the quietest 19 catches for 212 yards and 1 TD in the history of the league!

Thats because most of it came after the game was already out of reach.

All I can really say is "Wow!"

I was pleasantly surprised by the Pats performance on Sunday.

Bill Belichick continues to impress me for his ability to see things in players and teams and schemes that most of the rest of us do not see.

So here are some key areas where I would like to humbly review my expectations vs. what the Pats actually delivered on Sunday.

1. Offense - I expected this to be a strong area on this team. My expectations were met.

I did not expect Wes Welker to be so strong so soon. He took hits and ran routes to precision. I passed on Wes for my Fantasy because I thought he would be slow getting up to speed. I will regret this, now, I know!

I did expect the tight ends to be heavily in the mix and they were. Hernandez' drop in the end zone notwithstanding, they were pretty much perfect. Great to see Gronk delivering a TD "Gronked!" to the Cincy defender!

Brady had all day to pass behind the O-Line, so I guess it's time to print up the "Logan Who?" t-shirts and sell them outside fo Foxboro!

2. Defense - I expected that this young defense would grow into itself and be pretty good by mid-season. I worried about these early games.

To paraphrase a line from the movie "Blow": "My friend, if you give me solid secondary play, I have no more worries."

These guys were simply AWESOME! The D-Line was pressuring Carson Palmer early. The LBs were active and hitting. Gary Guyton even gave us his best Tedy Bruschi impression on his INT/TD!

But I was most impressed with the young guns in the secondary, which was the area I thought would take the longest to gel. They were tight in coverage, for the most part, and hitting and pumping each other up all day!

I railed about drafting McCourty. I was wrong. This kid looks like he is going to be something special!

3. Special Teams - I had no expectations because I just don't follow special teams that much, but starting with the opening kickoff when we went down to drill the Cincy kick returner to Tate's TD to start the second half, this group demanded my attention.

4. The Running Game - The subject of so much off-season banter, I felt like I should include this here.

I expected a weak RBBC performance.

I got Fred Taylor looking like Fred Taylor from his days in Florida Field! Okay, not that bombastic, but the old-timer still ran hard and solid. You cannot argue with a 5.1 avg and a rip-off run off of 24 yards to keep everybody honest. I would have liked to see The Old Gator get the ball a little more, actually, but when you win like this - dominant in all phases of the game - I ain't complaining!

Also, because I have been an open critic, I was glad to see Laurence Maroney nowhere in sight in the running game. I think the writing is now clearly on the wall for SloMo. Looks like they are just keeping him around for she-ites and giggles, or in case of injury.

And finally, Kevin Faulk, we love you so much! Please don't ever change!

Great post about the game, I had almost all the same reactions as you did. Defense way exceeded my expectations. I'd like to hear more about how certain players performed such as Brace. It's easy to see who did well on O, but with the D it's very hard to keep up with the substitutions and their level of play.

The only 2 nits I had were that I liked the McCourty draft choice, and I'm still a Maroney fan. With the great depth we have at RB - 4 solid guys - I think BB won't dress anyone with any kind of injury. It's a marathon, and we'll need all 4 to make it thru the season. Taylor runs high and I think he's sure to miss some time.

I expected the Bengals to win a high-scoring game, because I didn't think the young Pats' D would gel so quickly. But they played a great game right from the start, which I really, really hope carries over against the Jets next week.

I'd love to see Baltimore win tonight and then have the Pats whip the Jets next week, putting us 2+ games (the + is for the head-to-head tiebreaker) ahead of NY, just 2 games into the season.

:D

The O-Line played well, but I don't think anyone should wear a Mankins Who? shirt :p The Jets will be a better test of how solid the line is.

And I don't think we've seen the last of Maroney either. If you think Fred Taylor's a better back, that's fine. But there's no way you can argue Morris or Lawfirm are better. If they were going to bury Maroney and had no faith in him, they'd have cut him for someone who could contribute.

I've seen this movie before, the Pats look horrible in pre-season only to come out and play great when its for real. And thats what i think is going to happen, people will be shocked at how good the team, the defense is on opening day.

Me Too.........

Last edited:
They played much better in this opener than last, so that is a good thing.

Phil Simms remarked that they just looked fast out there, like they were playing at a different speed than Patriot teams past. This was because of the infusion of youth. It's starting to pay off. Once they fully grasp the concepts and can implement the full power of the master's plan, they'll be lethal (barring...well, I won't say it [knocking wood]). It'll be fun watching this season unfold.

Last edited:
Despite how I may have been percieved in posts past, I am really not a Maroney-hater.

I am more disappointed in the kid, and wish he would have reached the potential of a 1st round RB pick.

I have often speculated that he should/could be groomed to take over for Faulk when he retires because Maroney does have decent hands and can be shifty when he gets into open space.

He has just never made it as a "get the rock, hit the hole" guy, in my opinion.

I did read at lunch in the Herald, after I posted, that he and Edelman were held out due to injuries.

Phil Simms remarked that they just looked fast out there, like they were playing at a different speed than Patriot teams past. This was because of the infusion of youth. It's starting to pay off. Once they fully grasp the concepts and can implement the full power of the master's plan, they'll be lethal (barring...well, I won't say it [knocking wood]). It'll be fun watching this season unfold.

I did not hear Phil say that, but I do agree.

Especially watching Tate just carve through the Bengals special teams on the kick return. He looked like he was going at a different speed than everyone else on the field!

I am more disappointed in the kid, and wish he would have reached the potential of a 1st round RB pick..

You apparantly have no idea what the average first round pick is.

Here's a clue: they're not probowlers.

You apparantly have no idea what the average first round pick is.

Here's a clue: they're not probowlers.

You may be right, I don't know. But that doesn't seem to do much for my disappointment in Laurence.

I keep hoping he will just break out and all of a sudden be a stud back, but four years later, I am still waiting...

You may be right, I don't know. But that doesn't seem to do much for my disappointment in Laurence.

I keep hoping he will just break out and all of a sudden be a stud back, but four years later, I am still waiting...
And again, the idea that one of the last picks of the 1st round need be a stud RB to be useful is ridiculous.

How does he compare to Addai? To Lendale White? The only back picked near him who was successful was Deangelo Williams.

in 2005, you've got only JJ Arington. In 2007, Chris Henry, Kenny Irons, and Marshawn Lynch way up at #12, who despite looking great initially, is now injury prone, and probably not any better than Maroney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back