Welcome to PatsFans.com

What I did today that felt so good...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Today, I rode my bike about a mile down the road to the local farmers market set up on the side of the road, and bought all the ingredients to make a salad.

It felt great on so many levels becuase:
    a) I didn't use a car, I used my own energy and power to "hunt" for my lunch
    b) I supported local farmers
    c) the quality CRUSHED that of the closer food market
    d) I got a Head of Lettuce, Green Pepper, Tomato, Another weird Pepper, Cucumber, and a Large Red Onion for a total of 4.75. I still have enough for 3 more salads easily.

After watching Food Inc, The Future of Food, and Super size Me, I have been fully empowered to understand the lessons, and realize that for my self, my family, and all other in my area: Supporting local produce helps the community in so many beneficial ways... It's like this one act is paying it forward three times...

I know it sounds ultra liberal and all that, but in reality, it feels good to not rely on anything, no oil, no car, nothing, just me and my bike, and buying almost straight from the farm...
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's what I'm talkin' about. I commend you. I get frustrated here in the liberal state of MA with all the "green chickens" who talk green but don't walk green.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

That and most the farmers markets are closed after Halloween...
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Any one can support this, becuase no matter the idology you follow, it makes sense.

Die Hard Republican, well the farmers market is producing the best quality food at the best price, Capitalism at it's finest. Efficient supply chain management.

Die Hard Liberal, not need to explain...

Die Hard libertarian - I'm choosing to pay less for the same product at a place I choose to buy.

Not only that, but the money I spend I know will filter around here in Jacksonville a little bit before being sent to some corporate HQ somewhere.

And that's what it's all about.

That is what makes a strong economy, local goods, matched up with local needs. The end result is the local community gets stronger, the national conglomerate just got about 10.00 poorer today.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

well, yeah but a green life style isn't restricted to farmers market. I think it's more commendable to live green than to buy your way there through carbon credits for example.
  6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Over and over again, I jsut feel the best solution to all these problems is for me to act on it.

The consumer has all the power, we need to remind ourselves of that, almost daily.

We have the power to change what big business does. If we stop buying grocery store produce that is shipped in from Mexico or somewhere else, if we stop buying products with 100 unknown chemicals/ingredients in them...

The market will change.

The is the beauty of it all, if we just start acting with our money, this world will change.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Could not agree more, but here in the NE our farmers markets for the most part are done for the year, the Farm Fresh movement is big here...my only issue is the price, which is often more expensive than Whole Foods...

If you get a chance watch, Food Inc.... very interesting.
  8. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As I stated in my original post I already watched Food Inc. I'm very surprised the farmers market would be more expensive than the grocery store.

I just experienced the complete opposite. When I saw farmers market, I mean to say some tent set up on the side of the road with lots of produce, nothing fancy.

I understand that it's cold up there, so there isn't a lot of things in season, I guess we can chalk that up to one more awesome thing about living in Florida, put that right next too No State Income Tax.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Incredibly more expensive, tomatoes were going over $3.00 lb. all summer, both on the road side markets and the regular farmer's markets.. we still frequent them, plus grow our own... it gets difficult to find decent produce in the winter months...
  10. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That just doesn't make sense to me...

hmmm very odd.

You would think they have less expenses, and can sell you a product that is cheaper than all the middle men that it takes in a chain market.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

That is our bytch also, we have short seasons so folks have to get it while they can... sometimes you catch a deal, but for the most part it is very expensive... we support to the best of our ability, but the local grocery stores ( not the big chains) get most of our business even in the summer.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 5 / -6

That's a great way to live, one I admire, but practice with great inconsistency. During the summer, I sometimes walk into Harvard Square and go to the farmer's market there, but the prices needless to say are not a bargain.

I also have read a little about CSAs, where you buy a share of a farm crop for a season and then get whatever that share represents, but I don't know enough about it. It sounds like a great way to support small farms, organic farms, and healthy living. Anyone here have any experience with CSAs?

NOFA Massachusetts: Programs: Community Supported Agriculture
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

My sister does CSA in Minnesota, they get good benefit, the problem around here is the price once again... not sure it is good value.

Some of the CSA's around here require some work which is not a problem, but when you pay your share + work it is less of a value... personally prefer to garden myself.