Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Huckabee said in 1992.. from Town Hall

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 13, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

the source makes it credible, the republicans are starting to sound like the Dems.. continue to beat each other up and by the time the election comes all are staggering, waiting for the final knock out punch..gee you wonder where fog gets his demented ideas about aids..

http://www.townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2007/12/12/huckabees_1992_words_get_new_attention

Over the weekend, he said he wouldn't retract answers in which he advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased funding for finding a cure and said homosexuality could pose a public health risk _ though he said today he might phrase his answers "a little differently."

_ When asked whether the U.S. should take any action to kill Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, Huckabee replied: "The U.S. should not kill Saddam Hussein or anyone else." The U.S. military captured Saddam, an Iraqi court convicted him and he was hanged last December.

_ Rejected the idea of women in combat "because of my strong traditional view that women should be treated with respect and dignity and not subject to the kinds of abuses that could occur in combat."

_ Said living together out of wedlock "is demeaning to the highest expression of human love and commitment. I reject it as an alternate lifestyle, because it robs people of the highest possible relationship one can experience: marriage."

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, I read and re-read these statements by Huckabee, and I'll tell you: if there is something wrong about any of those statements I sure don't see it.

He's right on the beam!! Right now, my two top candidates are Huckabee and Romney.

Go Pats, give Mangini a Christmas present!!

:singing:

//

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

What's wrong with any of the above? Is it wrong to say that the US shouldn't kill people? I don't think so. Is it wrong to not want women in combat where they can be raped and abused rather easily? I don't think so. Is it wrong to think that a kid should grow up in a family setting, with actual parents, as opposed to in single parent homes with no mother or father? I don't think so.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 20 / -30

You are right, nothing wrong with what he said.. is it deliberate you sidestepped the isolating aids issue...

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

Well, personally, I wouldn't hang him for his views of Aids in 1992. Even though most people at that point, had pretty much come to understand how the disease was transmitted, there were stil grave concerns for lots of people. They were understandable concerns when you were talking Aids in 1992. He cited the dentists case as an example (which I remember & prompted dentists to use gloves and new tools for each patient). The problem with people looking back and criticizing as they are now, is that they use today's world view to judge the 1992 mentality. His views back then do give you an understanding of what his thoughts were, at the time, but they can't be judged by today's accepted standards. Someone saying we should isolate Aids patients in 1992, wasn't uncommon, whereas today, it would be.

6. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Taking the proper steps, wearing gloves and a mask, to prevent infection from a disease is a world away from isolation. 1992, was not medieval times, it wasn't even 1987, when Reagan finally acknowledged the disease. Although, you could draw similarities between Reagan and Huckabee's stance.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +839 / 7 / -3

1992 wasn't 1987, but it wasn't 2007 either. Most people, as I said, had a good understanding of how it was transmitted. I was 13 in 1987, and 18 in '92. I don't agree with isolation, but I wouldn't hammer somebody who mentioned it in 1992. I would if they did it today, but not in 1992. It's all irrelevent to me anyway, since there's about a 1% chance I vote for Huckabee. Nothing is impossible, so 1% is about right.