PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some cases, like say the incessant whining you inevitably bring to the mix, not posting at all would probably vastly improve the message board experience for all concerned via the age old method of addition by subtraction.

and as for your post, it was a matter of 0+0 = 0

lets resign them. there's no reason that we cannot play multiple D

Simple. The Pats offer them below market one year deals, since the Krafts think they can get 35 guys on one year deals. They both leave and the Pats go to there favorite place, the bargain basket and pick up another former good pass rusher. Doubtful he's as productive as Carter, but remember its about value. Plus Bill doesn't need a pass rush, not with the great secondary he's assembled. Oh don't forget Dowling comes back from torn ligaments in his leg. He should be AWESOME next year.

No doubt, lets hope they don't suck as much next year as they have the past 2. I don't know how Belichik gets away with only winning a little less than 80% of their games, if he was UConn basketball coach he'd be run outta town. I guess the ballwashers just can't see how much they suck through their rose colored glasses. Fire Belichik and trade pretty boy Brady for a QB with some balls who can run more than an anemic offense.

Can't wait for the draft, and hopefully an overhaul stating with the cult leader. This team just flat out SUCKS!!!

Simple. The Pats offer them below market one year deals, since the Krafts think they can get 35 guys on one year deals. They both leave and the Pats go to there favorite place, the bargain basket and pick up another former good pass rusher. Doubtful he's as productive as Carter, but remember its about value. Plus Bill doesn't need a pass rush, not with the great secondary he's assembled. Oh don't forget Dowling comes back from torn ligaments in his leg. He should be AWESOME next year.

What is going to be even more "awesome" is watching the jets try to win the Super Bowl when they aren't even in the play-offs. Should be an "awesome" January and February for the scum that root for that POS franchise.

I hope they dont return to the 3-4.This team doesnt have the LBs to play a 3-4.I really hope they stay in the 4-3 and draft some DEs or acquire one through trade.

lol, yes they do. Every year the Pats biggest need is a pass rusher and every year BB completely overlooks it. The only pass rushers I can think of that BB has drafted is Cunningham/Crable who are both garbage.

Now onto the topic: I hope BB brings both back, or at least Carter.

You just named 2 high picks in the past 2-3 years.

Just because they didn't work out doesn't mean that "BB completely overlooks it."

How the hell does that make sense?

If you said that he doesn't pick very good pass rushers, then at least that would make some sense.

And since Cunningham is still on the team, he may end up having a place (as doubtful as it looks). It's hard to tell how good he is when there is someone in front of him who is tearing it up.

Last edited:
I hope they dont return to the 3-4.This team doesnt have the LBs to play a 3-4.I really hope they stay in the 4-3 and draft some DEs or acquire one through trade.

LOL.....it doesn't have the LB's to play a 4-3, either.....too slow

You just named 2 high picks in the past 2-3 years.

Just because they didn't work out doesn't mean that "BB completely overlooks it."

How the hell does that make sense?

If you said that he doesn't pick very good pass rushers, then at least that would make some sense.

And since Cunningham is still on the team, he may end up having a place (as doubtful as it looks). It's hard to tell how good he is when there is someone in front of him who is tearing it up.

Yeah, those two picks are really the only guys BB has drafted in the last...5-7 years. Crable is obviously a bust and Cunningham is a soon-to-be bust. (Healthy scratch in two games this year, I don't even think he plays now?)

BB basically completely overlooks the need for pass rushers, I would LOVE if he drafted pass rushers as much as he loves drafting CB's.

i think it's a bit of a moot point because i think the market will really dictate what happens here. If a guy like carter wants to take a below market rate to be a sub rusher next year and maybe get on the field... then he will be here.

I think we go back to base 3-4 next year but as BB said early in the year we are in our sub package 50% of the time give or take. So there are snaps to be had by someone like carter/anderson for the right price whether our d is in 4-3 or 3-4

Yeah, those two picks are really the only guys BB has drafted in the last...5-7 years. Crable is obviously a bust and Cunningham is a soon-to-be bust. (Healthy scratch in two games this year, I don't even think he plays now?)

BB basically completely overlooks the need for pass rushers, I would LOVE if he drafted pass rushers as much as he loves drafting CB's.

I totally agree that he does not see many fits for pure pass rushers, or DE/OLB conversion projects. You are certainly right in that regard. The only point I was attempting to make was that he has taken 2 high picks in the past 2-3 drafts. That is at least making an effort, even though the effort did not pay off.

For whatever reason, he seems fine with trying to build them through free agency/cuts/trades. Some say that he has a high standard for what he looks for in that position. Some feel that Belichick considers the defense and its schemes too complicated for many younger players, and prefers to look for experience. Maybe it's a combination of a lot of things.

I still feel that last yr's lack of choosing was due in part to the labor negotiations and situation. That's why he went for experienced players, and what may perceive to be an easier to understand base defense.

Why his dedication with CB's? We all wish we knew. He apparently feels as though that is a more important postion in today's pass happy NFL, and it's possible that he will not quit until he achieves a good fit.

I still believe that the position of pass rush will be addressed with at least one 'high' pick (1-3) in the draft this year. Just when you think you know what he's going to do, he throws us all a curve ball. Not only that, I feel that even stubborn Belichick will realize that he needs to take a chance at that position eventually.

Then again, he may go out and grab a halfway decent free agent or cut, and continue to try and plug and play. Since the position isn't exactly set for the future, and BB tends to have an eye towards the future, I wouldn't put it past him to finally make a move with a higher-type pick again in the front seven.

The thing that many forget is that this problem of not being able to rush the passer was not much of an issue until the past few years. That may or may not (it does) have something to do with the trade of Seymour. Up until that point this team was basically fine in that area, wasn't it? Or am I having a memory lapse? From what I remember, it wasn't until after the 2007 season that it was much of a glaring weakness.

That would explain the choice of taking the 2 'high' picks in rounds 2 and 3 with the choices of Cunningham and Crable. The stunt in Cunningham's growth would probably have something to do with Andre Carter proving that he is ahead of him in game reps, and with the way he's playing, how couldn't he be?

I know it's easy to give up on Cunningham at the moment, but where would be play right now? Let's wait and see what next year brings before totally writing him off, at least in my opinion.

So, in essence the reality is that the lack of draft picks may be a bit overblown due to the fact that we had many proven vets and capable players at the front 7 positions up until the past 3-4 yrs.

This theory may not be the #1 explanation for Belichick's lack of choices, but it is certainly something to think about.

So I ran across an old friend yesterday from waaay back when I was in school. We used to hang out at parties, make people laugh... but it had literally been years since we'd last seen one another, so it was cool to interact again. Anyway, he knows his sh*t. Pretty much any subject, it doesn't matter. It's amazing how people sometimes react. Like, HOLY CRAP, there's NO way he knows that. Time and time again he's right, and they're hooked. So we talk some general sports, and then as usual quickly move on to the Pats where eventually I ask the same question, "What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?" There's a weird pause. I quickly forgot it after a few unbelievably fair evaluations, almost too callous and uncaring but, yeah, that's the beauty of it. Then the unbelievably profound analysis is thrown in here or there just enough to keep you guessing or blow your mind. Awesome! I'd forgotten how great this was. But something was off. Was something being held back? I probed for more. Another long pause is followed by some distracted vague advice, but then the stuff got dark. I mean REALLY dark. Something had shaken him. And, from the looks of it, shaken him several times. So why am I telling you this? Because I know most of you twits are gonna call bull**** on this one. So right up front, I wanted to fill you in on the critical background info and assure you this guy is literally chock full of insider rumblings and other strange goings on AND also universally trusted in all matters concerning this particular sphere of expertise.

"So,
What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?"

I repeat it again and again just to make sure its right,

"I said...
What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?..."
What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?..."

And Patsfans, this I'm afraid, was the response...

● Reply hazy, try again

● Ask again later

● Better not tell you now

● Cannot predict now

● Without a doubt

● It is decidedly so

● Concentrate and ask again

● Outlook not so good

● Don't count on it

● My sources say no

● Signs point to yes

● My reply is no

● Very doubtful

● Very doubtful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back