PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens to Anderson and Carter next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick will probably let them go. Maybe not both, but I'd be surprised if both are still on the team next year. It's so like Bill Belichick.

I think it is obviously they're just stop-gap players, until Belichick can draft what he likes. They've exceeded expectations, but I don't think Belichick envisions them staying long-term. Both are up there in age as it is.

I don't think Belichick refuses to draft a young edge rusher. The team has had a lot of pressing needs, and he's been trying to fill them. Maybe Belichick didn't like the pass rushers that were available. Although the guy did pass up Matthews, which was a bad decision.

He's addressed some of the needs successfully, and other times he's not.

The plan of last draft was to obviously address the running game, and try to continue revamp the secondary.

With the way the Patriots still struggle in the secondary, I got to think he's going to draft another corner or safety high in the draft. That's got to still be the biggest thing to address for the Pats going into next year. There are some pretty good corners coming out in this years draft.

They got some nice young talent that will progress, sure, but obviously they need more depth and talent back there.

Also, the Pats still aren't the strongest against defending the run. If they defended the run much better, they wouldn't be prone to giving up the big passing plays as much.

The Pats could use a good athletic tackle. There are quite a few needs on that defense. The Pats are probably going to need to fine another receiver as well.

Last edited:
Carter has surprised me but lets see how the year goes.I hope they stay in the 4-3 defense.They need to get an athletic tackle to go with a defensive end.I still dont see enough pressure up the middle.

Depends on free agency, the draft, and whether we play a 3-4 or continue this mix of schemes next year...I'm sure NE would love to keep Carter if the money/years are right. Long way off from having any idea.

As for Dowling...Gronk missed far more time in college due to injury than he did.

Well since they refused to draft any young pass rushers you either delve into free agency or hope a rookie can perform. More poor planning by BB. Expect a very similar defense next year.

Your Jets still stink.

The Pats blasted your team twice this year and you follow it up with Tebow cruising 95 yards over your gutless defense to win the game.

Keep dreaming in your 5th decade of being Ringless Wonders.

Last edited:
Simple. The Pats offer them below market one year deals, since the Krafts think they can get 35 guys on one year deals. They both leave and the Pats go to there favorite place, the bargain basket and pick up another former good pass rusher. Doubtful he's as productive as Carter, but remember its about value. Plus Bill doesn't need a pass rush, not with the great secondary he's assembled. Oh don't forget Dowling comes back from torn ligaments in his leg. He should be AWESOME next year.

D, I think you missed your calling. You'd be much more effective if you switched your allegiance to that of the Rams, Colts, Jags, or any of the other 26 teams with worse records than the Pats. There your smarmy sarcasm and gloomy outlook would be much more welcome and much more fitting to the situation. :rolleyes:

As for your first comment. I think you are too young to remember the mid to late 90's when all the starters got long term deals at market prices. You are too young to remember all those talented teams that looked great on paper, but were done in when the inevitable injuries started to pile up,

Yeah, we wouldn't want to stick with a fiscal strategy that has brought this team historic success over the last decade. You're right. We should pay everyone what they want, so we can get back to those 8-8. Yeah, the good old days.

Back to the topic.

Give Carter a 2 year deal with a nice little raise. This is Carter's first time with a winning team. The market isn't going to be very big for a 33 year old pass rusher. He's going to WANT to finish his career chasing superbowls, not chasing the last buck Besides he's good enough to play in both schemes.

Anderson is different story. He's only 28, but he's also a limited player. This is his most productive year since his rookie season. He is being used well by BB and not asked to do things he can't. He's not going to be out there against teams with good running games. He's a pass rusher.....period....and he's good at it.

I hope they keep him, but I wouldn't give him a big long term deal. I think we've learned from the TBC extention, that prior performance does not guarantee future continued production. ;)

D, I think you missed your calling. You'd be much more effective if you switched your allegiance to that of the Rams, Colts, Jags, or any of the other 26 teams with worse records than the Pats. There your smarmy sarcasm and gloomy outlook would be much more welcome and much more fitting to the situation. :rolleyes:

As for your first comment. I think you are too young to remember the mid to late 90's when all the starters got long term deals at market prices. You are too young to remember all those talented teams that looked great on paper, but were done in when the inevitable injuries started to pile up,

Yeah, we wouldn't want to stick with a fiscal strategy that has brought this team historic success over the last decade. You're right. We should pay everyone what they want, so we can get back to those 8-8. Yeah, the good old days.

Back to the topic.

Give Carter a 2 year deal with a nice little raise. This is Carter's first time with a winning team. The market isn't going to be very big for a 33 year old pass rusher. He's going to WANT to finish his career chasing superbowls, not chasing the last buck Besides he's good enough to play in both schemes.

Anderson is different story. He's only 28, but he's also a limited player. This is his most productive year since his rookie season. He is being used well by BB and not asked to do things he can't. He's not going to be out there against teams with good running games. He's a pass rusher.....period....and he's good at it.

I hope they keep him, but I wouldn't give him a big long term deal. I think we've learned from the TBC extention, that prior performance does not guarantee future continued production. ;)

Ken, he's a Jets fan.

Yes, yes.

Wait, you're saying Anderson needs work on his spin move, right? :confused: ;)

Last edited:
Based on his monster year, Carter will be offered a huge contract by Washington and then disappear again.

Like the sun rising in the east, one can always count on the Jet trolls that delusionally believe that they're being so clever and fooling everyone here into actually believing they are Pats fans never miss an opportunity to hijack a thread, and say the same handful of things that they say on every one of their comments:

• Pats can't draft
  • Pats defense stinks
  • Belichick is dumb
  • Kraft is cheap

Hope you all are enjoying yet another August championship of yours.

Regardless of $, giving either of these guys more than a 1-2 year deal would probably be a mistake.

Well since they refused to draft any young pass rushers you either delve into free agency or hope a rookie can perform. More poor planning by BB. Expect a very similar defense next year.

First of all, they haven't "refused to draft any young pass rushers."

Yes, as a whole it is a rarity, but just recently Belichick chose a 2nd rounder and also a 3rd rounder. The former is still here, buried in the depth chart behind our leading sacker. The latter is gone, and did not work out.

Just because Belichick hasn't chosen too many pure pass rushers lately does not mean that he never will.

The choice of playing much more 4-3 may aid to that. He may also see someone who fits his supposedly high standards. Not only that, he may just decide to roll the dice and take a chance.

He obviously thought that the lack of OTA's and labor situation was not a good year for trying to develop a hybrid DE/OLB into a complicated system. That was one of the reasons for going to free agency, where he chose Carter and Anderson; both who have paid off tremendously as the #1 and #2 pass rushers on the team.

Carter fits the suit as far as the Patriot way. He also seems to be extremely well liked in the locker room and by BB. That's a very favorable starting point if he remains in their plans.

Anderson is more sketchy in that he's still young enough (28) to get a decent deal, possibly one that overpays him, on the open market after turning his career around this season with NE.

Carter fits the suit as far as the Patriot way. He also seems to be extremely well liked in the locker room and by BB. That's a very favorable starting point if he remains in their plans.

Anderson is more sketchy in that he's still young enough (28) to get a decent deal, possibly one that overpays him, on the open market after turning his career around this season with NE.

Good point.

I think if given an option, most of us would prefer Carter anyway, at least in a short-term aspect due to his age etc.

I'm guessing that you're right, and only one stays anyway. If Andre Carter is still bringing it, may as well let him play another year.

I do think that there will be a couple draft picks (not both necessarily high) to go along with some more FA signings. Could this be the year that we all get our future DE/OLB pass rusher?? Eventually even stubborn Belichick has to take a chance, at least that's what I'm thinking. Just when you think you know what he's gonna do, he throws you a curve. Maybe he's just been waiting for that ONE future Lawrence Taylor (- the crack addiction of course).

The bottom line is that I don't think that they will both be here........I would be suprised if they are both here and would not be suprised if neither is here.

As a defensive unit, this one is no better than the one they had last year and even if they are, it is only ever so marginally. If BB was so willing to make the kind of wholesale changes during this past offseason, you can expect changes to a similar degree after this year.

I agree with these comments.

I would think that we would try to re-sign both.

Carter could end up with 12 or 13 sacks and even at 33 years old some team could offer him 7 or 8 million do the pats want to pay that much ? with Ocho and ellis makeing almost 10 million this year i have no problem with the pats Dumping dose two and giveing Carter that money,

as for Anderson he is a lot younger but is not a starter so maybe the pats can sign him at a good price 5 or 6 million, IMO the pats will not find anyone better in the Draft so i would love to see them both come back but i would not be shocked if they are both gone

Carter is going to get a big pay day from a 4-3 team and we will be returning to the 3-4 base. BB has said the only reason he did this was because of the no off season program.

anderson can be signed to play the tully role.But if carter decides to stay and is affordable he can be our rush olb.move him around and drop in shallow zone once in a while like ware and harrison nothing too fancy.

the main reason i want to goto 3-4 is vince. as a NT he is a top 2 in his position , in a 4-3 he is just a top 10 DT maybe . He negates his strength and matchup issues. He is not too explosive to play DT at his size.if he is even let inside cannot get to the qb is the qb even takes a few steps .He is build more like a NT. put him on top of a center and cause issues .

a center job is to block the nt,pick the mike , set the protection and protection slides. by putting a big guy on top your are putting alot of pressure on a center and gaurds to identify who picks a blocker and who helps the center.right now this is made easy in a 4-3.

the main reason i want to goto 3-4 is vince. as a NT he is a top 2 in his position , in a 4-3 he is just a top 10 DT maybe . He negates his strength and matchup issues. He is not too explosive to play DT at his size.if he is even let inside cannot get to the qb is the qb even takes a few steps .He is build more like a NT. put him on top of a center and cause issues .

a center job is to block the nt,pick the mike , set the protection and protection slides. by putting a big guy on top your are putting alot of pressure on a center and gaurds to identify who picks a blocker and who helps the center.right now this is made easy in a 4-3.

Vince has been a rock this year. There is no way you can come up with a list of ten better DTs. Good luck even finding two.

if there's no point about discussing the future, and there's no point in discussing the past, then what shall be discussed? the differencece between maroon and mauve? how about the difference between aqua and teal?

In some cases, like say the incessant whining you inevitably bring to the mix, not posting at all would probably vastly improve the message board experience for all concerned via the age old method of addition by subtraction.

First of all, they haven't "refused to draft any young pass rushers."

Yes, as a whole it is a rarity, but just recently Belichick chose a 2nd rounder and also a 3rd rounder. The former is still here, buried in the depth chart behind our leading sacker. The latter is gone, and did not work out.

Just because Belichick hasn't chosen too many pure pass rushers lately does not mean that he never will.

The choice of playing much more 4-3 may aid to that. He may also see someone who fits his supposedly high standards. Not only that, he may just decide to roll the dice and take a chance.

He obviously thought that the lack of OTA's and labor situation was not a good year for trying to develop a hybrid DE/OLB into a complicated system. That was one of the reasons for going to free agency, where he chose Carter and Anderson; both who have paid off tremendously as the #1 and #2 pass rushers on the team.

lol, yes they do. Every year the Pats biggest need is a pass rusher and every year BB completely overlooks it. The only pass rushers I can think of that BB has drafted is Cunningham/Crable who are both garbage.

Now onto the topic: I hope BB brings both back, or at least Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back