PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens to a contract when a rookie is cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Serious question--does the new team have to honor the original contract, do they get to write a new one, etc.?

Because one thing struck me as very odd about Rogers' signing--why, when nearly all of the Pats' draft picks get signed to max-length contracts, did the Pats let Rogers (and Elgin, I think) sign only a three-year deal? :confused:

Last edited:
I believe if a player is claimed off waivers his contract stays the same...though I'd be surprised if it couldn't be renegotiated.

I suspect three years has no great significance.

When a player is cut, the contract is null and void, except for any termination provisions (for example, relating to injuries). The player would have already received signing and workout bonuses. The new contract can be for any length and dollar amount allowed by the CBA.

Serious question--does the new team have to honor the original contract, do they get to write a new one, etc.?

Because one thing struck me as very odd about Rogers' signing--why, when nearly all of the Pats' draft picks get signed to max-length contracts, did the Pats let Rogers (and Elgin, I think) sign only a three-year deal? :confused:

They are free...

When a player is cut, the contract is null and void, except for any termination provisions (for example, relating to injuries). The player would have already received signing and workout bonuses. The new contract can be for any length and dollar amount allowed by the CBA.

Not necessarily.

"Cut" is usually used to mean both "contract terminated" and "waived". If the contract is terminated then you are correct. If the player is waived and clears waivers, you are also correct.

But when a waived player is claimed, that team assumes all provisions of the original contract. Any signing bonus has already been paid, of course, and counts against the original team's cap. But all other provisions, such as upcoming salaries, roster bonuses, and option bonuses must be picked up by the new team.

All players with less than 4 credited years in the league are waived and must go through waivers. Players with 4 or more credited years have their contracts terminated and can negotiate a new contract with anyone (except after the trading deadline, when they too must go through waivers).

Last edited:

I thought that for late round picks 3 years is the max.

I thought that for late round picks 3 years is the max.

Six years for 1-16, five years for 17-32, four years for 33+.

Lua is signed through 2010, for example.

Not necessarily.

"Cut" is usually used to mean both "contract terminated" and "waived". If the contract is terminated then you are correct. If the player is waived and clears waivers, you are also correct.

But when a waived player is claimed, that team assumes all provisions of the original contract. Any signing bonus has already been paid, of course, and counts against the original team's cap. But all other provisions, such as upcoming salaries, roster bonuses, and option bonuses must be picked up by the new team.

All players with less than 4 credited years in the league are waived and must go through waivers. Players with 4 or more credited years have their contracts terminated and can negotiate a new contract with anyone (except after the trading deadline, when they too must go through waivers).

See Article XXII of the CBA for confirmation of alamo's post.

However, once a player passes through waivers, he is a free agent, is he not.

See Article XXII of the CBA for confirmation of alamo's post.

However, once a player passes through waivers, he is a free agent, is he not.

Yes. Alamo said that - "If the player is waived and clears waivers, you are also correct."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes