Welcome to PatsFans.com

What happens if we lose in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Mar 2, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If we fail in Iraq, what are the ramifications?

- We lose the Middle East for the next 50 years?
    - The start of World War III (beginning with Iran v Israel)?
    - Downward spiral of the US economy resulting from lost control of energy?

Basically, what are the stakes if we lose in Iraq?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 7 / -13

The terrorist will have their assumption that we lack to will to fight the WOT confirmed. Islamist cause will be strenghted world wide. IMO

Energy is the least of it. We have other resources we could develop if we had the political will.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

The continuation of islamic run, fundamentalist nations in the heart of the ME. It means sharia law, more bloodshed between the savage primitive factions that have hated each other since birth, and their control of most of the worlds oil. What's bad about them controlling the oil isn't only economics, as we could eventually get over that through technological means, but it's that absolute loons would have a printing press for money. Money they could use for weapons with which they could destroy either infidels, or enemies of any kind. Iran versus Israel, Iran versus Saudi Arabia (sunni versus shia) Turkey versus Kurdistan, etc.. Basically, it could, and I stress could, mean utter chaos. That's the doomsday version anyhow. Most likely, it would end up continuing to be the sh!thole it's always been. It will be a killing field for religious lunatics. Israel Palestine times 5 or 10. Shia and Sunni, fueled by Iran on one side, and the Saudi's on the other. The Saudi's are sunni.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

or, to sum this drivel up more concisely: "they're all primative savages who can't handle money, and only the U.S. and Christianity can keep a leash on them... oh, and we need their oil."
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

If we loose in Iraq, maybe we will learn a lesson of not going into a country and wage war from the PC folks in DC. If we have to fight, let it be done by the men on the ground with adequate forces, superior equipment and superior intelligence. The problem, as I see it, is we were not prepared for the length of this battle, the political realities and bottom line we are fighting with the wrong people.. the terrorism against the US did not originate in Iraq..

I thought we learned some of these lessons in Viet Nam, Somalia, Korea.. but I guess not, not sure if it is ADD or short term memory loss.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The memories of a generation fade every 20 years. It's ADD of the American public that the Military Industrial Complex relies on to continue their policy of creating wars every 20 years. They are then able to sell the Pentagon, staffed with little boys who never grew up, their weapons programs. The Pentagon, consumed with an irresistible need to play with their new toys, wait for an administration to come along who will go along with their games. The soldiers and the American public are whipped into a frenzy and, because they believe what they are told by the government-controlled majority of the media, happily go along for the ride.

If we leave Iraq, we have not failed. The use of the term "fail" implies that there was another opposite option, like "succeed", which has never been defined and has never had a plan for achievement. At this point, there are no options left but to leave. There are those who long for a chance at redemption for the "unfinished business" in Viet Nam. These men who have carried a sense of defeat and/or guilt all their lives because they were driven from Nam militarily or they dodged the draft while their "friends" (as if they had any) went over and died or were maimed. What they don't understand is that we had no chance of winning in Nam any more than we have a chance of "winning" in Iraq. The premise is fallacious.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  7. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just want to point out that the WAR has been won, that's what the military's job was. The enemy was closed upon and destroyed.

The post-war establishment of a free tri-partisan Islamic Democratic Republic is what has not happened. The lack of strategy to establish this government isn't the onus of the military.

The Military did it's job, the politicians have failed on their end once again.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree in part with your post.

Not to beat a dead horse, but...and you know what's coming...who was the "enemy" and what was the goal? I know it's not up to you to make that definition, but how was it related to you on the ground?
  9. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The way I see it was, that we where supposed to depose the Hussein Regime and defeat the Iraqi military. That was done, I say we did our job.

The cluster f*ck that has been going on is a result of political pandering. The intent of what the continuing boon-doggle is, can only be answered by the folks in DC. The military is paying a big toll and having it's effectiveness brought into question.

I say this, given a clear intent and mission without a bunch of bull**** rules of engagement the military could and would accomplish anything assigned to it.
  10. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess my ultimate point is that the military is good at fighting...not-so-much at nation building.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

To leave our military in harm's way while trying to rebuild a nation that does have the fortitude to want to do it, is useless. The military have completed their job. They did it because we are the best, but we must insure that they will always be the best prepared, best equipped and have the backing of the DC pols.
  12. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sums it up perfectly.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

[​IMG]
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

[​IMG]
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

The enemy was radical islam as a whole, which is empowered by oppressive rule thorughout the religion, and thus it was concluded that geopolitcal change in the ME was the best long term strategy to thwart the overall threat presented. :D
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Exactly true. Hard to train a person to kill, and then to be a policeman and diplomat. Of course, it's hard for us because we hae such high moral standards. Were we savage primitives like most nations of the past, or people of the present, it'd be easier because we'd simply nation build through fear, death, and destruction. We don't do that as part of the mission statement.

If I might add, I really don't think the US will try this again. History is of course cyclical in some regards, so anything is possible, but we don't need to lose/fail here to learn how difficult this was. I think the ***** slap in november taught a very good political lesson to everyone watching. The struggle on the ground the same.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

You'll always be the best prepared, best equiped, etc untill you go to war. When you go to war the theatre in question will always dictate, or change, what works and what doesn't.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Bush didn't get the memo....:mad:
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:rofl: Ohmygawd! STOP! :eat1: PLEASE....no really....:rofl:
  20. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I thought the unprovoked attack on Iraq was suppossed to be a war on terrorism and to remove Saddam's WMD.

It turned out the whole war was a lie.

There was no WMD and there was no connection between Al Queda and Iraq.