PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens at ILB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is the biggest hole in the current roster, what are people's thoughts on how the position(s) are filled?

1. Rotation of Vrabel, Bruschi and Thomas...
  2. FA signing - Seau, Mitchell, Edwards, Gartner, Huff, Clark, others?
  3. Draft - Harris, Bradley, DeOssie, others?

Last edited:
Thomas will play inside linebacker. We have to find backups at

both inside and outside linebacker.

I'd like Seau to return for a year.

That would give us 5 (Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas, Bruschi, Seau) LB who are starting quality who can mix and match plays at various spots and give some depth. And another pretty decent LB would be nice too, as depth, unless they like the development of Woods and/or Mayes.

the whole ILB/OLB difference is overrated.... we use mixed front where we send in brushi in blitz and send olb in coverage,so in a pure sense we are good

Consider the following
Under BB first rounders are in the starting group - leads me to believe a high pick LB will be added and will be in the lineup.

Also its takes time in our system for low pick LB to develop .Even with the baptism in fire episode ,I think eric alexander will be given more chance.....he is on the 3rd year where we typically see low pick LB projections to make contribution in rotation.
Now how he makes out is unknown but he has developed in our system to contibute this year.

now see bru ,seau , adaius[mixed formation] ,eric , rookie

Last edited:
Everyone other than Tedy, Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas and TBC are scrubs unsuited to play in 2007. Maybe one develops by 2009 but the odds are against it. And it looks like they will lose TBC.

Before signing any other WRs, I think it is imperative to sign or re-sign, another LB or two...

Last edited:
Which is better?
Covlin-Ted Johnson-Bruschi-Vrabel-McGinest
Covlin-Seau-Bruschi-Vrabel-Thomas

Everyone other than Tedy Vrabel Colvin Thomas and TBC are scrubs unsuited ot paly in 2007. Maybe oen develps by 2009 bu tthe odds are agasint it. And it looooks liek te y will lose TBC.

Before signing any other WRs, I think it is imperative to sign or re-sign, another LB or two...

This is all good, but I want names... which vets, which draft picks.

Draft Zak DeOssie, 6'5", 250#, 4.51--40yd sprint and 46 on the Wonderlic, great genes on his mom's side, this kid will be a STAR.........

Draft Zak DeOssie, 6'5", 250#, 4.51--40yd sprint and 46 on the Wonderlic, great genes on his mom's side, this kid will be a STAR.........

I like Zak as well as Willis, Posluzny, and Harris; but not one of them will be ready to play in an emergency this season. They will all need a year of adjustment. Ditto for all the other LBs on the roster, except TBC, and he is just about gone...

I would still draft an ILB in the first round if the right one is there. Bruschi isn't getting any younger as we all saw last year. Plus there are great veterans to learn from and in a year or two player x would be able to step in. I'm not panicking about CB and they're making moves at WR. W/ 2 1sts I think drafting an ILB to learn for a year would be very wise.

What should happen...

Sign Donnie Edwards to a 2 year deal.
Draft Polusny (Penn State LB) in the first round.

That is what they should do. What they will do......I have no idea. Bruschi has got 1 maybe 2 part time seasons left and he will need to rotate with someone or he will be worn out at the end of the year.

Thomas is not going to play ILB, at least not regularly.

This is all good, but I want names... which vets, which draft picks.
Beyond waiting to see how Seau and Gardner are doing in rehab and if Alexander and Mays are stepping up to the next level; Donnie Spragan UFA Miami and Danny Clark UFA Oakland are the two vets I see whom I think could do okay in this system, depending on what off-field baggage they might carry.

For draft options: Harris of Michigan is carrying a probable second round grade and might be able to carry enough bulk to stand up to the ILB pounding.
Bradley of Nebraska is my favorite in this draft and might sneek into the second round.
Brian Robison of Texas is another to look at, he may get into the 3rd round.
DeOssie is obviously a fan favorite for his mother's genes. 4th round.
Jay Moore of Nebraska is WilleMac size with LB change of direction numbers and a DL 40 (his 10 yd split is good) whom I'd consider in the 4th as a project.
7th round/UDFA types to consider:
Anthony Waters Clemson
Desmond Bishop California
Marvin Mitchell Tennessee
Abraham Wright Colorado
Kevin McLee West Virginia
Mike D'Andrea Ohio State

For my real "thinking outside the box" thoughts:
TE Dante Rosario Oregon was recruited at LB, converted to FB, then converted to TE...
I'd consider testing Mike Wright at ILB during spring drills and training camp to see how he adjusts to the change of perspective - we know he can take on an OL.

There's some names, if the incompetent bastichs at NFL Network had bothered to cover the Combine we might have been able to watch some of the DL in doing LB drills and have a couple more names.

Who is his Mom? (I know who Dad is)

Say Hey Corey Mays baby!

I think I just answered by own question. We have 8 LBs that should make the roster. We usually carry 9 or 10 LBs. With Izzo on board I think they will wait to see how the draft shakes out and then add a veteran JAG if they need a body.

Our front end looks real good - Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, Thomas
and our backend looks ok - Izzo, Mays, Woods, Alexander

On another note has anyone seen orlando Huff play? He played for Pat Hill at Fresno State, I wonder if he could take some snaps at ILB.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5552

Just for a reference, I posted my ILB board in the draft forum (in the Buster Davis thread), but I think we can kind of use this as a stepping stone into the draft discussion of our ILB situation:

My ILB board, as of right now, looks like this:
Willis
Posluszny
Bradley
D. Harris
Zak Deossie
Buster Davis
Brandon Siler
Dallas Sartz USC

I think I just answered by own question. We have 8 LBs that should make the roster. We usually carry 9 or 10 LBs. With Izzo on board I think they will wait to see how the draft shakes out and then add a veteran JAG if they need a body.

Our front end looks real good - Colvin, Bruschi, Vrabel, Thomas
and our backend looks ok - Izzo, Mays, Woods, Alexander

On another note has anyone seen orlando Huff play? He played for Pat Hill at Fresno State, I wonder if he could take some snaps at ILB.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5552

Orlando Huff, no.

But the Pats did work out his evil cousin, Orlando Ruff, last season:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/12/18/happy_with_response_team/?page=2

I like Zak as well as Willis, Posluzny, and Harris; but not one of them will be ready to play in an emergency this season. They will all need a year of adjustment. Ditto for all the other LBs on the roster, except TBC, and he is just about gone...

I disagree. I think Willis and Zak would fit in the Jr. slot just fine inside in an emergency. No, they couldn't start. But with all the camps, etc., in an emergency only, I think they would out perform say,Beisel (God I miss his wife! And she says she cant live without me either:( ....).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes