PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened with the TO Balt trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The reason I bring this iup is because I am wondering if this scenario could any effect on the Branch situation.

Now I don't know all the facts, but the way I "think" it happened was like this.

49ers gave TO permission to seek a trade. Him and his agent set up a trade for a late round pick with the eagles.

The 49ers set up a trade for him in exchange for a second with Balt.

Then TO fights it. There is some legal ramifications about the fact that the 49ers gave him permission and such.

Basically, my question is this. Why did the 49ers have to take back the trade and trade him to the Eagles for a crappy pick instead of the Ravens for a good pick.

And with the thread talking about how BorgAss said Branch has something up his sleave, I am wondering if it somehow the same type of thing that happened with TO??

Anyone know the details on that?

sarge said:
The reason I bring this iup is because I am wondering if this scenario could any effect on the Branch situation.

Now I don't know all the facts, but the way I "think" it happened was like this.

49ers gave TO permission to seek a trade. Him and his agent set up a trade for a late round pick with the eagles.

The 49ers set up a trade for him in exchange for a second with Balt.

Then TO fights it. There is some legal ramifications about the fact that the 49ers gave him permission and such.

Basically, my question is this. Why did the 49ers have to take back the trade and trade him to the Eagles for a crappy pick instead of the Ravens for a good pick.

And with the thread talking about how BorgAss said Branch has something up his sleave, I am wondering if it somehow the same type of thing that happened with TO??

Anyone know the details on that?

His agent didn't fax the paperwork into the NFL office in time. So it negated the baltimore trade.

The NFLPA intervened and brought in an arbitrator. That much I recall. I believe once word came down that the hired arbitrator was going to rule in favor of TO, all sides brokered a deal and he became an Eagle. It was a mess.

mgcolby said:
His agent didn't fax the paperwork into the NFL office in time. So it negated the baltimore trade.

The agent not getting the Paperwork in time was related to TO becoming a free agent, not the trade as I recall!

sarge said:
The agent not getting the Paperwork in time was related to TO becoming a free agent, not the trade as I recall!

I think you are right. Now that you say that I think his agent prevented him from becoming a FA and signing with Baltimore which led to the trade with Philly. You are right, I believe.

sarge said:
agreed. the 49ers got screwed... id like to know why also.

The agent screwed up the free agency paperwork. So he was under control of SF who traded him to Baltimore. TO didn't want to go there, and the trade didn't stand. Balt was awarded draft pick for their trouble and TO was dealt to Philly.

Edit: I don't think it has any likeness to the Branch situation

Last edited:
And this was what I was getting at
http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/56907/detail.html

I don't know for sure, but wasn't TO's greivance that the team told him he could come up with his own trade and that he was being treated unfairly because the Niners traded him to Balt after they told him he could do his own trade and he wanted to go to the Eagles???

This is what I was afraid may happen if Branch found the Deal he wanted but the Pats didn't take the compensation.

That was a seperate deal......The NFLPA got involved simply based on the premise that they fealt TO should have been a FA...There was a challenge about literature or something in the contract.....The arbitrator was going to rule in favor of TO becoming a FA.....Hence being able to shop his services to any team and thats why the deal was done.......The 49ers were faced with getting no compensation! Not similar to Branch at all!

SCPatBoy said:
That was a seperate deal......The NFLPA got involved simply based on the premise that they fealt TO should have been a FA...There was a challenge about literature or something in the contract.....The arbitrator was going to rule in favor of TO becoming a FA.....Hence being able to shop his services to any team and thats why the deal was done.......The 49ers were faced with getting no compensation! Not similar to Branch at all!

Cool, I didn't realize that.

So the premise wasn't that he was suppose to be allowed to get his own contract, the premise was that he should have been a free agent all along?

That bodes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back