PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What free agents might the Celts add to improve the team next season?

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This season the Celts were looking to near retirees like PJ Brown and Sam Cassell to provide bench depth for the team.

I have a feeling the Celts might not have such a hard time finding free agents this offseason - anyone know who some of the key free agents might be that would fit in well here?

This season the Celts were looking to near retirees like PJ Brown and Sam Cassell to provide bench depth for the team.

I have a feeling the Celts might not have such a hard time finding free agents this offseason - anyone know who some of the key free agents might be that would fit in well here?
as long as they re sign james poses ill be happy

Posey has a player option for next season at $3.5 million IIRC. I'm not sure he's going to take it. He's proven on the national stage, that he's the ultimate winner, and role player. He's a two time NBA champion now, and teams will want him. He's likely to get an MLE offer from someone. So while he could still return, he might not. Posey is in his 30's, so he might want one last pay day. When the Jarred Jefferies, Mark Blounts, and Brian Cardinals of the league are making 5-6 year MLE deals in the $30-42 million range, you've got to think that Posey can get more than 1 year and $3.5 million out there. He does deserve more.

Tyrone Lue is a possible replacement for Cassell. At least it's a name that's been mentioned. Other than that, it's early to speculate. The C's will be like the Pats now. Attractive to veterans who are in search of that elusive ring. Some good players who would otherwise be impossible to sign money wise, may take the veteran minimum for a chance, ala PJ Brown. How happy do you think PJ is that he came here for one last try? I'm curious to see who replaces him. I think Joe Smith is a FA. He made close to $7 million last year. Would he take the veteran minimum to play with his buddy KG, and try to get a ring? That would be sweet, but who knows.

Posey has a player option for next season at $3.5 million IIRC. I'm not sure he's going to take it. He's proven on the national stage, that he's the ultimate winner, and role player. He's a two time NBA champion now, and teams will want him. He's likely to get an MLE offer from someone. So while he could still return, he might not. Posey is in his 30's, so he might want one last pay day. When the Jarred Jefferies, Mark Blounts, and Brian Cardinals of the league are making 5-6 year MLE deals in the $30-42 million range, you've got to think that Posey can get more than 1 year and $3.5 million out there. He does deserve more.

Tyrone Lue is a possible replacement for Cassell. At least it's a name that's been mentioned. Other than that, it's early to speculate. The C's will be like the Pats now. Attractive to veterans who are in search of that elusive ring. Some good players who would otherwise be impossible to sign money wise, may take the veteran minimum for a chance, ala PJ Brown. How happy do you think PJ is that he came here for one last try? I'm curious to see who replaces him. I think Joe Smith is a FA. He made close to $7 million last year. Would he take the veteran minimum to play with his buddy KG, and try to get a ring? That would be sweet, but who knows.

I think Posey is probably the exception to the rule as a guy we have and want to keep - and a guy who won't be expected to take a home town discount to play here. (Sure his salary demands are going to tax them on the luxury tax - but marketing wise they make all that back and then some after winning a Championship and contending for another).

Guys who aren't here, who are hungry for a championship - i think we'll have our choice of them at relatively reasonable prices. I'm just not sure who's available and who fits well.

The bench was awesome with Posey, House, and PJ Brown.
I think Powe or Big Baby can grow into PJ Brown's role.

Posey is invaluable with his defense and 3-point sniping. House is a 40% 3-pt shooter and when we have both Posey and House out there our offense is amazing because you can't double anyone without getting burned.

Both of these guys will be very hard to replace.

Last edited:
Sign every player on this roster now. This team was incredibly resilient, strong and consistent. Best defense I've seen since the Bulls. Better defensively than the 80's Celtics. Heart. Guts. Keep it together.

What does Ryan Gomes contract situation look like in Minn? I'd love to see him back in Green. He is great coming off of the bench. Probably even has more upside than Powe (who has been great too).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back