PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Free Agents could the Pats add this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would Troy Palomolu (sp) look in red, white and blue?

An SI article says he might be released. To be honest, I haven't seen him play in five or six years, but I thought he was magical back then.

There's not a chance in hell. He's such an awful freelancer, he'd make Meriweather look like a responsible player.

To take it one step further, Brady specifically targets him every single time we play them, so there's that too. He's either finishing another year in Pittsburgh or retiring anyway, or at least he says so anyway. He really should have hung up the cleats last season in my opinion.

On second thought, I suppose if a guy like Chung can do well playing a specific role here, then so could Palamalu, but he'd have to play very close to the line etc. He's shot in coverage.

I thoughy Nicks was going to complement Luck in a substantial way. But he was mediocre at best.

I would love to bring Amendola back. So much time and effort was spent getting the guy to contribute. He came up big at year's end.

Who do you put in his place? You gotta be confident it's a guy that will soak up the system quickly like Lafell did.

Don't know if this is the thread for this, but a couple of guys recently released who might be signed for
less than what it would've taken a couple of years earlier are TE Anthony Fasano & TE/FB James Casey.
Fasano would instantly upgrade HooHah as a blocker if he can get healthy after an injury-plagued 2014,
and Casey is a versatile guy who also plays STs very well.

I thoughy Nicks was going to complement Luck in a substantial way. But he was mediocre at best.

I would love to bring Amendola back. So much time and effort was spent getting the guy to contribute. He came up big at year's end.

Who do you put in his place? You gotta be confident it's a guy that will soak up the system quickly like Lafell did.

I think having Amendola back would be great, at a reduced price of course.

pats better sign the beast spikes so we can go back to run blitzing him up the middle

Now that is looks like Vince in gone DT becomes a bigger concern. #1 IMO is resign Branch. After that you either need to draft someone or pick up a vet. If you pick up a Vet you have some decent well priced options.

Cory Redding - DT - He is a litter older than Vince but on a 1 year deal could be a nice rental for the right price. Only 298lbs though.

Tommy Kelly - DT - If this well is not poisoned I would try to get him back for 1 more year. I think he has another left and will be well priced.

Berry Cofield - DT/NT - Injured last year and will look to bounce back this year. Probably willing to take a 1 year prove it deal and then try to get another team to sign him to a 2-3 year deal after to end his career on. All depends on his health.

Atybya Rubin - NT - 29 years old and coming off a pretty bad season. Was injured in October and never looked right. Another 1 year rental who might want to prove it then sign his last contract.

I think all or at least some of these guys could be had for under 2M and would be good enough as a place holder for 1 year if you don't want to get a guy in this draft.

Kendrick Ellis maybe? Stuck behind some studs in New york, but he's pretty good.

And an Amendola replacement if DA won't take a haircut - my money right now would be on Hartline.

And Reggie Bush if no Vereen.

I hope Brandon Marshall gets released and comes here on a 1 year deal. He secretly loves the Patriots.

McDaniels and Marshall have a father and son relationship. I bet McDaniels is lobbying Belichick to offer two first rounders and a second rounder to Chicago for Marshall. He even wants Belichick to do an even swap of Brady for Cutler.

Now that is looks like Vince in gone DT becomes a bigger concern. #1 IMO is resign Branch. After that you either need to draft someone or pick up a vet. If you pick up a Vet you have some decent well priced options.

Cory Redding - DT - He is a litter older than Vince but on a 1 year deal could be a nice rental for the right price. Only 298lbs though.

Tommy Kelly - DT - If this well is not poisoned I would try to get him back for 1 more year. I think he has another left and will be well priced.

Berry Cofield - DT/NT - Injured last year and will look to bounce back this year. Probably willing to take a 1 year prove it deal and then try to get another team to sign him to a 2-3 year deal after to end his career on. All depends on his health.

Atybya Rubin - NT - 29 years old and coming off a pretty bad season. Was injured in October and never looked right. Another 1 year rental who might want to prove it then sign his last contract.

I think all or at least some of these guys could be had for under 2M and would be good enough as a place holder for 1 year if you don't want to get a guy in this draft.

none of those options are exciting.
if the fish get suh, they will cut Starks...we should get him

pats better sign the beast spikes so we can go back to run blitzing him up the middle

This surprises me. Hightower and Collins were beasts when blitzing the A gap. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that after the play of Revis and McCourty, the A gap blitzing of our linebackers was the most important aspect of our defensive play.

none of those options are exciting.
if the fish get suh, they will cut Starks...we should get him

They were not meant to be exciting. Just low level starters that are serviceable. If I know for a fact McCourty is not coming back then I think it will be more possible to look at a serious upgrade here and would be an action I think they should. If their coverage is worse they need to get to the QB faster. Only logical.

Until I know that is happening I am mostly looking at cheaper options though.

I've always liked Rubin since the 2008 draft process. If healthy, he is superior to both Branch & Siliga.

According to Jeff Howe, the Patriots next big signing will be re-signing Brian Tyms. Of
course, they have no competition for his services since he is a erfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes