PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does Tedy do well anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In my opinion, the guy is a liability whenever he is on the field. The number 1 problem with our defense is lack of speed. I honestly think opposing coaches love seeing TB out there. You can run at him, and he can no longer cover. We really missed by not drafting David Harris last year. I am not worried about losing Asante as long as we can add speed to the LB position. The NYG corners are below average, and look how good front 7 speed made them look. I know we run a different D (3-4), so speed on the D-Line is not a priority. Our D-Line is an ideal 3-4 line. The benefit of the 3-4 is having the potential for pass rushers coming from anywhere. When 2 of the four LB's can't run, you lose that threat, and your pass defense becomes very vulnerable. We need SPEED, SPEED, SPEED!!

Re: What does Teddy do well anymore?

You can dismiss the truth all that You want but Tedy led the team in tackles last season.I think The Patriots Defense has bigger problems thanTedy.

Please don't use that as a measure of effectiveness. He was ran at a ton, which is going to allow him to make tackles. Can someone please provide me with 3 impact plays TB made this year.

BTW - Take a look at the NFL stats for tackles. There are a lot of avg to below avg players that had much higher tackle totals than TB. Tackles are just not a very good measure of a players value.

We don't even know what his role will be. I can't imagine that him returning next year will mean the Pats will not still be in the market for younger and faster LBs.

What does Teddy do well anymore?

Regardless of what he may or may not have left in the tank, could we at least show him the courtesy of spelling his name correctly? I think he's earned that respect, to say the least...

I'm comfortable letting Belichick make these decisions. If he thinks Tedy is worthwhile to have, he'll be there.

In my opinion, the guy is a liability whenever he is on the field. The number 1 problem with our defense is lack of speed. I honestly think opposing coaches love seeing TB out there. You can run at him, and he can no longer cover. We really missed by not drafting David Harris last year. I am not worried about losing Asante as long as we can add speed to the LB position. The NYG corners are below average, and look how good front 7 speed made them look. I know we run a different D (3-4), so speed on the D-Line is not a priority. Our D-Line is an ideal 3-4 line. The benefit of the 3-4 is having the potential for pass rushers coming from anywhere. When 2 of the four LB's can't run, you lose that threat, and your pass defense becomes very vulnerable. We need SPEED, SPEED, SPEED!!

Please stop....until injuries changed the Seau / Bruschi roatation...he was basically a 1st and 2nd down player. He did great, as always in that role, until Rosie went down. When injuries hit - TB was not a liability, but rather a strength, filling in admirably.

I think when you lead the team in tackles, with 99 - you are doing a lot of things right.

Speed is a asset great, with our defense it will enable the players you seem to envision to get to the wrong place faster.....

Of course we need LB's - nobody is better suited to teach them our system than Tedy Bruschi. I look for a FA and a rookie or two to be indoctrinated this year.

Really happy to see Mr. Patriot is back to lead the way....

Tedi will show up at training camp.

If he's not good enough to make the team, then he won't make the team.

It's as simple as that.

My bad. But is that relevant to the point I made? I respect the heck out of him for what he's done and what he's been through. That does not change the fact he is a liability on the field. He was an overachiever to begin with, now he is hurting our D. We need speed. If we can add LB speed to the D-Line we have, there will be much less pressure on our defensive backfield.

Please stop....until injuries changed the Seau / Bruschi roatation...he was basically a 1st and 2nd down player. He did great, as always in that role, until Rosie went down. When injuries hit - TB was not a liability, but rather a strength, filling in admirably.

I think when you lead the team in tackles, with 99 - you are doing a lot of things right.

Speed is a asset great, with our defense it will enable the players you seem to envision to get to the wrong place faster.....

Of course we need LB's - nobody is better suited to teach them our system than Tedy Bruschi. I look for a FA and a rookie or two to be indoctrinated this year.

Really happy to see Mr. Patriot is back to lead the way....

I thiink you are overestimating what his tackle totals mean. Watch the games (I have many times). Teams were running at him all year. Of course his tackle totals will be up there.

How many LB's has TB been able to teach our system? Beisel, Brown, Alexander, Woods, Mayes, Rogers, Mincey, etc. When has he ever shown the ability to be able to do this?

I am still waiting for 3 impact plays he made all year..

Last edited:

I'm not going to deny that Tedy has lost a step but his discipline on the field keeps him in the lineup. He knows what gaps to fill, he can anticipate plays, he knows the D inside and out. It is sad that he isn't the ballhawk he used to be. When he swatted the ball in the AFC title game I thought it was another player :)

One thing he does well is spell his name correctly.

Bruschi is not the player he once was, but he still has a lot of value. He is a liability in coverage, but still can stop the run and rush the passer. He is best served as a rotational guy like he was initially used last year with Seau. I hope the Pats add two starting quality LBs this offseason and see Bruschi more as a rotational guy and depth than a significant starter.

He still brings heart, and the team needs alot of it, and you cant replace heart..

People are too black and white about stuff like this. I think it's pretty obvious that if the Patriots have to rely heavily on Tedy Bruschi at this point it's a problem. Having said that, I'm glad that he's back for next year (the "multi-year" contract stuff is just accounting), as his experience and remaining ability is a net plus to have on the team. No reason to take wildly opposing stances here, really.......I mean, does anybody want him to be an every down ILB at this point? On the flip side, did anyone really want him off the team?

One thing he does well is spell his name correctly.

Bruschi is not the player he once was, but he still has a lot of value. He is a liability in coverage, but still can stop the run and rush the passer. He is best served as a rotational guy like he was initially used last year with Seau. I hope the Pats add two starting quality LBs this offseason and see Bruschi more as a rotational guy and depth than a significant starter.

Once again, I apologize for the name spelling. My bad. However, what I'm hearing from all of you is, "This is great news, we're so glad to have him back. We just hope we get some new LB's and he doesn't have to see the field that often."

Nothing......

He is a high paid moral booster and a fan favorite. Otherwise, the tread is off his tires.

Once again, I apologize for the name spelling. My bad. However, what I'm hearing from all of you is, "This is great news, we're so glad to have him back. We just hope we get some new LB's and he doesn't have to see the field that often."

The apology is nice but you'll be taken a heck of alot more seriously in the future if you actually spell the name of one of the most beloved Patriots in history correctly to begin with. Sorry, it really bugs when people do that.

I also know that BB knows a hell of a lot about talent than me and you. He is not sentimental. If he believes Tedy still has it, than he does. Can we anticipate a Junior sucks thread from you if he re-signs, also?

bru can still play they just need to bring in one more ILB to rotat seau #54 and some young guy and move ad back to OLB theres your speed ad can get 16 sacks at OLB

Last edited:

I thiink you are overestimating what his tackle totals mean. Watch the games (I have many times). Teams were running at him all year. Of course his tackle totals will be up there.

How many LB's has TB been able to teach our system? Beisel, Brown, Alexander, Woods, Mayes, Rogers, Mincey, etc. When has he ever shown the ability to be able to do this?

I am still waiting for 3 impact plays he made all year..

SIGH....the design of the 3/4 is for the DL's to tie up the offensive linemen and direct the runners to the gaps and into the arms of the waiting LB who handles his gap responsibility and makes the stop.

That is why NE had the 4th overall 'D' in the NFL last year.

Give TB some talent to work with and he will teach and lead - just ask Jr or Adalius. I think Woods & maybe even Alexender will play larger roles this year, they seem to be making progress, this scheme takes time. The other guys you mentioned are JAGS all the way.

My only problem with our defense was the inability to make the crucial stop at the most important time - 3rd and 4th down, during the final drive of the final game.

Your scenario is to get rid of the guy that held the 'D' together and replace him with fast guys that are clueless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down