PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Does Maroney have to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think wieght training or anything like that is going to make Maroney better. That is something all players do, that is part of the off season and being a pro athlete. When people say he danced too much, that is because every time he touched the ball he was looking for the big run instead of just taking the 5 or 6 yards. Its all about patience. Maroney was a rookie, and like most backs in their rookie year thier not that patient. Patience is something that is developed over time. Thats all Maroney was missing, is Patience. He has to accept that every touch isnt going to be a 50 yard run. When he gets more patient, and just takes the 5 or 6 yards, the big play will follow.

The pats need to design some plays around maroney strengths. They need to do their homework and see what plays this year and in college that he excelled in. I would like the pats get him more in the open field.

Flare out passes out of the back field. Pitch outs, etc. The playbook needs to be revamped a bit to take advantage of maroney.

Last edited:
The pats need to design some plays around maroney strengths. They need to do their homework and see what plays this year and in college that he excelled in. I would like the pats get him more in the open field.

Flare out passes out of the back field. Pitch outs, etc. The playbook needs to be revamped a bit to take advantage of maroney.

I am not smart enough to really notice this during live action, but I read somewhere recently that NE adopted some of the stretch plays that Florida uses in the run game this year.

It could be that NE is already in the process of reshaping some of the offense to fit Koolaid's strengths, but the whole team needs to improve.

I do think that Maroney needs to work on making decisions quicker, as his biggest weakness is making a 3 yard run a 2 yard loss. He most certainly stutter-steps in the hole waiting for it to open, but it was much worse at the end of the year. It makes sense that his injury as well as some fatigue contributed to the problem, but it does exist.

NE also seemed hesitant to use Maroney on pass plays and I think he could be a real weapon underneath. I couldn't tell you what he needs to do to improve that, but I hope he does whatever necessary. I drool over the possibility of getting Maroney in the open field like that 3-5 times a game.

Beyond that, he just needs to make the normal second year progress; build endurance and strength, master the offense that he was gradually assimilating the prior year and so on.

This is the NFL, not high school. When you hear people who make the next level, it's always how fast the game is played. Holes open and close quickly in the Pros. A running back not only needs to know where to go but based on the defense, he needs to know how the line will block so that he knows what his likely avenues are. There are very few of the lanes that I think people sometimes expect at the Pro level.

I think you're saying what I mean to. Gaping holes don't exist in the NFL and are closed by the time you see them.

A back needs to run to where the hole is supposed to be on that play. If the defense adjusts for it, that makes openings to go where the defense isn't.

You have to go where the crease is supposed to be and it should open when you get to it.

Of course Dillon is old and slower, but how many runs did he bounce outside because he honored the play call and knew the D had overplayed, therefore the outside was open.

That's how you walk in to the end zone.

Simple. Get more touches.

For god sake people he only had 175 touches and still averaged 4.3 yards a carry.

If you gave him another 75 to put him at 250 which still isnt a whole lot hes going to break the 1000 yard mark.
I dont really care about the 1000 yard mark but some games it seems like Dillon and Faulk are running well but Maroney is getting stuffed and some games he is great but there are games when he repeatedly gets stuffed for a 1-2 yard gain much of the time. Maybe he should get more carries but we'll see. I hope he has a great preseason & training camp. I still think we'll have Corey starting unless he goes downhill rapidly in the offseason, another year or two splitting carries and Maroney should be pretty good.

The best thing the Pats can do to improve their running production is develop the threat of a downfield passing game.

You can't defend everything in the NFL. Indy has a successful running game because defenses will NOT put 8 in the box or move their safeties up within camera view.

BTW, when all three backs were healthy this year, I thought the Pats had an almost perfect situation. Dillon had an incredible year in short yardage situations, especially the red zone. He's the reason the Pats were so effective in the red zone. Faulk was lethal on draws against nickle defenses.

If we are looking for a little more production from Maroney, involving him in the passing game to give him the ball in space a little more often would probably be a smart move.

I dont really care about the 1000 yard mark but some games it seems like Dillon and Faulk are running well but Maroney is getting stuffed and some games he is great but there are games when he repeatedly gets stuffed for a 1-2 yard gain much of the time. Maybe he should get more carries but we'll see. I hope he has a great preseason & training camp. I still think we'll have Corey starting unless he goes downhill rapidly in the offseason, another year or two splitting carries and Maroney should be pretty good.

week 1:
Maroney- 5.1 ypc || Dillon: 4.7 ypc || Faulk: 7 ypc

week 2:
Maroney - 4.1 ypc || dillon: 4 ypc || Faulk: 3 ypc

week 3:
Maroney - 1.5 ypc || Dillon: 3.2 ypc(he only had 5 carries, got hurt) || Faulk : 6 ypc

Week 4:
Maroney - 8.3 ypc || Dillon: 3.9 ypc || Faulk: 1 ypc

Week 5:
Maroney - 2.1 ypc || Dillon: 4.5 ypc || Faulk: -1 ypc

Week 7:
Maroney - 3.6 ypc || Dillon: 3.4 ypc || Faulk: -3 ypc

Week 8:
Maroney4.3 ypc || Dillon: 1.7 ypc || Faulk: 11 ypc

Week 9:
Maroney - 4.8 ypc || Dillon: 3.7 ypc || Faulk: 6 ypc

Week 10 :
Maroney - 3.1 ypc || Dillon: 8.9 ypc ||

Week 11:
Maroney - 4.3 ypc || Dillon: 2.6 ypc || Faulk: 2 ypc

Week 12:
Maroney - 2.5 ypc || Dillon: 3.6 ypc ||

then injury Maroney so no stats avaible......

Week 16:
Maroney: 6.9 ypc || Dillon: 3 ypc || Faulk: 4 ypc

Week 17:
Maroney: 5.6 ypc || Dillon: 5.6 ypc

Playoffs:
Jets game:
Maroney 3.8 ypc
Dillon: 5.3 ypc
Faulk: 3.7 ypc

Chargers:
Maroney 1 ypc
Dillon: 2.3 ypc
Faulk: 4.2 ypc

and we know the Colts game.

id say during the season they ran equally..Faulk during regular season was only getting 1-4 carries

in playoffs Maroney was getting hit in backfield almost every play.

Faulk was in for no huddle and stuff so its harder for defenses...not supposed to play run in a no huddle shot gun (most of the time)

Maroney will be starting next year..hopefully we open the playbook up more for him and let him try more than just inside running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back