PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think Walsh has on the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be some kind of legal jeopardy for him even putting out a fluff collection of his time with the Pats. It may not be a confidentiality agreement per se, but something must exist.

Perhaps said agreement exists, but would allow him to testify to the NFL? :confused:

Perhaps said agreement exists, but would allow him to testify to the NFL? :confused:

That is what I was thinking. Maybe something that prevents disclosure in a public forum, which wouldn't prevent testifying to the NFL or Congress. Obviously guessing but that is about the only thing that makes sense. Walsh hasn't said anything to anyone and I doubt it is out of the goodness of his heart.

I think that if he has anything that could hurt the Pats it is an audio tape.

Pioli fired him for taping phone calls.
I think (just a guess) that if he has anything to hurt the Pats, it could be
something against Pioli (taped phone call).

If he taped a phone call, it is against the law in Massachusetts.

The NFL can not give him immunity from breaking a law.
I do not believe Spector could give him immunity for breaking a Mass law.
A federal law, but not a Mass law.

Then again, I am no lawyer.

i honesty think this is the last piece of the spygate puzzle. I think he some more stuff on the Pats and i think Goodell drops the other shoe. I predict another embarasing investigation with BB getting suspended for one year and Kraft fined again. You heard it here first.

I think that if he has anything that could hurt the Pats it is an audio tape.

Pioli fired him for taping phone calls.
I think (just a guess) that if he has anything to hurt the Pats, it could be
something against Pioli (taped phone call).

If he taped a phone call, it is against the law in Massachusetts.

The NFL can not give him immunity from breaking a law.
I do not believe Spector could give him immunity for breaking a Mass law.
A federal law, but not a Mass law.

Then again, I am no lawyer.
They cannot give him that immunity, obviously, but they could pay for his legal defense. If I am Walsh though, no way I come forward if I think I get convicted of some criminal charge. It's one thing to have someone to pay for your defense, it's another to be found "guilty". Threatening to sue the pants off him might be the Pats last gasp in terms of quashing this. However, this has so much steam that I find it hard to believe that sooner or later, something won't be revealed.

But, as you say, then again, I'm no lawyer.

From what I understand, Pioli found the taped conversation...and may have it...What Walsh wants is teh NFL to pay for his lawyer...and that is ridiculous..I want to know HOW a nobody from Hawaii got lined up with a high stakes Washington attorney..THAT I find very interesting..and no one knows HOW that happened..did Spector use his influence with this?? The fact that he had all sort of momentos and things leads me to believe that he had a LOT of tapes..in his collection..some stolen as well. I do NOT think the NFL can protect him from that...OR SHOULD pat his bills to defend him for that crime. The fact that this is taking a long time leads me to believe he has little..is trying to protect a boig deal somewhere for him..and I really doubt that will happen.. His past is shady at best..

The protection that Walsh is seeking is from a "confidentiality" agreement that he has with the Patriots. It calls for ridiculous monetary penalties against him, if he makes any public disclosures about things he learned as a Patriots employee.

And no one can give him protection from that, except Bob Kraft, and I have a funny feeling that he is not oing to give it to him.

If it isn't a criminal matter, then the nfl could indemnify him against those monetary penalties (i.e., agree to reimburse him for anything he pays to the Pats plus legal costs--BTW, I've always thought that the sticking point here would be that the Krafts could claim that the value of the Franchise had been damaged, which could run into hundreds of millions of dollars, and that the league--i.e., the other owners--would neither want nor be able, from a practical standpoint, to do that; however, for this to occur, the Krafts would have to show damages, which they would only be able to do if they were selling the team).

The league, as has been pointed out by other posters in this thread, can't indemnify him in the case of a state or federal crime. Only the authorities can do that and they would have no reason to, unless Spitzer reinserted himself, as the Congress can grant immunity.

To answer the question, I don't know and no one except Walsh and, maybe, his lawyer, do.

However, if all he has are either videotapes that the Patriots have already admitted making or audio tapes that are just embarassing, and if he doesn't have a tape of the walkthrough, then there will be a media firestorm but Spygate is essentially over.

however, if he has a tape of the walkthrough, even if it is unauthorized, then it's a very big problem as no one outside of New England and, maybe, the commissioner's office, will believe that BB or EA didn't ask him to do it.

Yesterday Scott Zolak said he was with the Patriots for three years while Walsh worked there and he never heard of him. Zolak said it's unusual to not know someone in the video department because players talk to these guys quite often getting tapes of upcoming opponents previous games to prepare.

Just another example that Walsh was a very low level employee who wouldn't be in a position to gain unsavory info about the Patriots.

It's six years, but any time spent out of Massachusetts doesn't count.
Triple, you seem to know the law. If Walsh broke a state law wouldn't he have to be brought back to the state to be prosecuted? What is the process for doing this? Is the taping law a felony or a misdemeanor, and does that having a bearing? In other words, how much of a practical concern should the threat of prosecution be to Walsh, if he doesn't plan on coming back to Massachusetts?

One other note: the Federal law is single-party consent: in other words, it is legal to tape any conversation to which you are a party, since you are in fact consenting. I also suspect that the Federal law only applies to interstate conversations?

One other note: the Federal law is single-party consent: in other words, it is legal to tape any conversation to which you are a party, since you are in fact consenting. I also suspect that the Federal law only applies to interstate conversations?

Promised--I assume you're talking about telephone conversations; I believe the MA law refers to face-to-face conversations.

Promised--I assume you're talking about telephone conversations; I believe the MA law refers to face-to-face conversations.
I believe it applies to both:

Twelve states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. See the State Law: Recording section of this legal guide for information on state wiretapping laws.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/recording-phone-calls-and-conversations

Just another example that Walsh was a very low level employee who wouldn't be in a position to gain unsavory info about the Patriots.

You mean this conversation never happened before SB36?

BB: You all know your assignments. Now I have a special job for someone. How about you over there? Mark, is it?

MW: Matt

BB: Whatever. The rest of you can leave. Mike and I...

MW: My name is Matt.

BB: Whatever. Manny and I have something important to discuss.

<everyone leaves>

BB: So Monroe, I want you to stay behind after our walkthrough and set up your camera in the stands. You will have to be very careful since the stands will be empty and you will look an awful lot like a terrorist sniper. Tape the Rams walkthrough and then sneak out unseen and deliver the tape to me.

MW: Won't security be all over the place?

BB: Oh God yes! Why do you think we are sending you to do this. If security does find you, quickly swallow this pill. It is a .... sedative. Don't want you getting all upset and having a tummy ache.

MW: I don't know. Isn't this cheating?

BB: Listen Mario, you're over 30 years old and we pay you 10 bucks an hour to run errands. Maybe you should stop your lips from flapping and use them to kiss my ass so I don't fire yours. Are we clear?

MW: Yes sir.

<Walsh leaves Belichick and Pioli in the room>

SP: Did we just trust the future of the organization to a guy we don't trust with a bathroom key?

BB: Sure. What could possibly go wrong?

This seems completely reasonable and totally supports the perception the media is spinning.

i wish you were right but i don't think there's a strict corporate hierarchy on an nfl team, after all, it's been reported that he got into pioli's office often or easily enough to audiotape him...he had all the access he needed to do real harm if his intentions were nefarious.

i wish you were right but i don't think there's a strict corporate hierarchy on an nfl team, after all, it's been reported that he got into pioli's office often or easily enough to audiotape him...he had all the access he needed to do real harm if his intentions were nefarious.

For all we know, Walsh was basically wearing a wire or carrying a tape recorder in his pocket. (All we know is that he recorded a conversation; we don't know the details of how the recording was made.)

And, come to think of it, if he was smart enough to actually make this recording, how was he stupid enough to leave it in his desk at the end of the day?

Last edited:
From what I understand, Pioli found the taped conversation...and may have it...What Walsh wants is teh NFL to pay for his lawyer...and that is ridiculous..I want to know HOW a nobody from Hawaii got lined up with a high stakes Washington attorney..THAT I find very interesting..and no one knows HOW that happened..did Spector use his influence with this?? The fact that he had all sort of momentos and things leads me to believe that he had a LOT of tapes..in his collection..some stolen as well. I do NOT think the NFL can protect him from that...OR SHOULD pat his bills to defend him for that crime. The fact that this is taking a long time leads me to believe he has little..is trying to protect a boig deal somewhere for him..and I really doubt that will happen.. His past is shady at best..

Doesn't Walsh have season Tix for the Pats? Anyone know much about his family? Perhaps he comes from money?

Fellers,

I truly believe that if Walsj had anything, and I mean ANYTHING on New England, that he would have already had it out and blasting away through some reporter or sports show.

My own opinion is that he is slow learner, and tried to gain some creds by running his mouth, hoping to get a little money, perhaps, from someone willing to pay for his story. He got called on it, and now he can't produce and is squirming for a way out.

I hope he squirms his way right into a jail cell. Frikkin' loser.

Last edited:
Well he was a video guy so:

1. Practice tapes- Samples of tapes he shot when the Pats Practiced.

2. Break down tapes- Tapes of other teams broken down and edited sequentially in accordance to Down and distance.

3. Sideline tapes- Most likely kept some.

4. Conversation recordings- If he was fired for it i can bet he still has a few copies left.

5. Anything controversial- (possibly)CCTV tapes of Patriots practice facility, Other teams practices/walkthroughs....

I want to know HOW a nobody from Hawaii got lined up with a high stakes Washington attorney..THAT I find very interesting.

i find it very interesting too. Believe it or not. Walsh can't do all of it on his own because he woud do it a long time ago if he could. Somebody must help him.

It was not a coicedence at all when his name showed up on newspaper 2 days before a SB game. Why did his name not appear last Sept or Oct.? Somebody didn't like to see 19-0 Pats.

Last edited:
The reason NFL takes too long to seal the deal is NFL wants to know what Walsh really wants and they are able to do it for him if it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back