PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think the Pats want to see happen with Hoyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing "Cassel 2008 redux" is not at the top of their list.

Seriously, though, there is another important difference, in that Hoyer is only signed for three years (i.e., through next season), and would be an RFA in 2012, whereas Cassel was signed for four years, and would've been unrestricted.

So what do you think is the Patriots' preferred scenario here? [Note I'm talking realistic stuff, not "trading him to Oakland for five firsts," etc.]

Last edited:
I'm guessing "Cassel 2008 redux" is not at the top of their list.

Seriously, though, there is another important difference, in that Hoyer is only signed for three years (i.e., through next season), and would be an RFA in 2012, whereas Cassel was signed for four years, and would've been unrestricted.

So what do you think is the Patriots' preferred scenario here? [Note I'm talking realistic stuff, not "trading him to Oakland for five firsts," etc.]

With no CBA in place, there's no way of knowing what Hoyer's status will be after 2010, let alone 2011. I think the Patriots will keep him until his contract runs out, then another team will sign him as a free agent.

With no CBA in place, there's no way of knowing what Hoyer's status will be after 2010, let alone 2011. I think the Patriots will keep him until his contract runs out, then another team will sign him as a free agent.

I would hope that Hoyer doesn't start a meaningful game between now and the end of his contract. If that is the case, do you really see another team signing him to be their starter? If he is going to be a backup, NE seems like an ideal place to stay for him.

I sort of get what you're saying, but my point is that he is under contract for a total of three seasons, this being his second, and the possibility at least exists that he'll be an RFA in 2012 rather than needing to go the franchise route as with Cassel.

Ideally, he proves to be a dependable #2 who draws some interest in his RFA offseason and nets them a draft pick.

On the one hand, guys as good as Hoyer (better than Cassell, IMO) don't come around very often, so it would be great if we could keep him. OTOH, Brady's new contract will be for 4-5 years? No way Hoyer's going to want to carry the clipboard that much longer, at least not for cheap.

Making a trade move with Hoyer at the end of this season seems very pre-mature, esp with the 2011 season still up in the air. Maybe a tag-and-trade for 2012? Probably also depends on what talent the Pats think they might have in the pipeline beyond Zac Robinson. I mean, soon (like, in the next year or two), the Pats have to start seriously thinking Brady-successor, not just capable backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes