Welcome to PatsFans.com

What do you see happening with Mike Wright?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Jul 17, 2007.

?

What should the Pats do with Mike Wright?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2007.
  1. Sign him long-term

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. Sign him to a tender

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Trade him

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +329 / 5 / -5

Let's assume he plays like he did last season--more than competent backup, maybe starts a couple of games, contributes on ST.

Realistically, there are only three options, since he'll be an RFA, and was originally a UDFA:
    (1) Sign him long-term.
    (2) Sign him to a second-level tender (or higher).
    (3) Trade him (as the Dolphins did with Welker).

I see no way the Pats will let him walk for nothing, but I'm curious as to what other folks think.

I ask largely because what the Pats do with Wright will, necessarily, have some impact on what they do with Warren (and to a much lesser extent Wilfork).
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  2. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

when Wilfork got hurt..Wright did not do a very good job. He does a good job when hes not a starter.

i doubt Wright has anything to do with what we think will happen with Vince and Ty. hes a backup..thats it. i like him though..a decent-good backup but as a starter..no thanks(meaning if we let Vince or Ty walk or because injuries)
  3. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And you're basing this on...?
  4. patriot lifer

patriot lifer Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

He isn't ideal as a nose tackle certainly, but as a DE I would like him as a long-term backup. pretty much like jarvis green. He's shown us enough improvement from year to year to keep him around and see how he continues to play. I can't imagine him being too pricey.
  5. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He was one of the more noticeable players on ST and didn't do badly as a backup. I would sign him long term.
  6. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Can anyone remember the play last year against the titans where Jones Drew fell down because an O-lineman fell back into him and than Banta Cain had the brain fart and didn't tag him down so he got up and scampered for something like 80 yards?

Wasn't that Wright who knocked that lineman into Jones-Drew?

In any case, I like Wright. I think he's a good sub for now but I don't think he's ready to start yet. I'm not sure I would want to sign him too long term. Unless of course the price is right.
  7. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +186 / 35 / -22

No Jersey Selected

I voted for the tender, unless he agrees to a longer-term deal for low money.

Wright is a hard-working, improving player with limited upside. He is a nice backup 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT who has added value as a STer on both the coverage and blocking units. He is NOT, however, a backup NT; playing him there does him and us a disservice.
  8. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He's not really built to be a 3-4 NT like Vince is. Probably why they tried to sign Traylor back. He's more of a 4-3 DT or DE.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

Really like this guy, great work ethic and he came out of nowhere to do pretty good... if there is a protypical Patriot he is one of them. Lock him up long term.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  10. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

I agree. He doesn't have the supreme talent of the starting three, but he's a demon on ST's, has great speed for a big guy and is a lunch-pail type worker.

One question will be how Brown and Smith and Thomas look this year and whether any of them make progress against Wright in TC competition.
  11. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

im not saying dont resign him.. i like him myself but the first post seemed like giving him a 2nd round tender or a top priority :\
  12. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +280 / 18 / -2

I think that Wright is a fine backup DE. He was our best backup NT last year, which was a problem. He's not a NT. I would sign him long-term and solidy our DL for years. He is also Warren insurance. Having Brown, Green and Wright signed as long-term backups will be great!
  13. psychoPat

psychoPat Role Player PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I hope we ink him for several more years - perhaps 3 or 4.
    He is a model of hustle, striving, work, and good attitude.
    Plus, the price would be right.
  14. Ratoath

Ratoath Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i agree. he went undrafted, but has proved great value for us. true, the difference was very noticeable between him and wilfork when vince went down. however, others have already pointed out that he's not a NT. also, he's apparently one of the strongest players on the team, (which i know can mean nothing) and i can only see him getting better