What Do You Get With 4.3/4.4 Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What you see is what you get...no more no less. Don't blink...because you may miss it...that is if anything happens on the way to the 40. I have to rant a bit here. I am truly unfazed by 4.3/4.4 speed anymore...in today's NFL it has become a necessity to have some of it on offense and defense. But in and by itself it means nothing(see Bethel Johnson).

Now...don't get me wrong. A TALENTED player like Maroney or Jackson who has that speed will help your offense tremendously. There are even slower players than that who are extremely productive also.

But...if 4.3/4.4 speed was truly special then why are there so many UDFA's who have it and yet went undrafted? How about 11 special teams daredevils who all run 4.4's but can't tackle that well...how far will that get you?

Sorry for the rant...but if I hear another sports media hack write or talk about 4.3/4.4 speed I'm going to puke. Get over it...it means nothing as there are dozens and dozens of Bethel Johnsons and Jakari Wallaces out there...and I am not impressed.

It's the media COP OUT TODAY...WRITE ABOUT A PLAYERS SPEED. What ever happened to good old sports journalism? Tell me why a player is so special, or tell me something athletically unique about a player. How many players can leap over a line like bruschi to tackle a runner? How many players like Seymour can fake 2 fat guys out of their cleats and tackle a guy with 1 arm? How many players like Wilfork who can run the 10 about as fast as a 4.4 receiver...NOW THAT'S TALENT IN MY EYES. How many players run 40 yards anyways? Doesn't a 4.55 player taking the correct angle tackle the 4.4 guy anyways...Bruschi doesn't appear to have a problem with it.

From now on I don't care to hear about the 40. The short shuttle and the 3-cone maybe. Better yet...give me the 20 on a guy running through some hungry alligators....I'll take the lowest timed guy on that one.:D

Last edited:
The only reason to pay attention to it is that you can't coach it.

jczxohn1 said:
The only reason to pay attention to it is that you can't coach it.

Yeah, but coaches like Mike Martz get paid to screw it up and it's not even theirs.

F.B.N. said:
From now on I don't care to hear about the 40. The short shuttle and the 3-cone maybe. Better yet...give me the 20 on a guy running through some hungry alligators....I'll take the lowest timed guy on that one.:D

Guess who is bizarrely fast - as long as it's 10 yards?

Deion Branch. Clocked the fastest 10 yard speed in the draft, and was also fastest at either short shuttle or 3 cone, I forget which. I was looking up his overall speed, because we had a thread about how he was "fast, but not incredibly fast." I remembered he had some insane speed stats, and mistakenly thought they were his 40 times, so I looked him up.

Fastest guy in the draft, just not all the way down the field. So he's confined to the 95% of plays that are considered successes if they move the markers, and is only average 5% of the time.

WE'RE LOOKING AT THE WRONG CLOCK TIME... if the clock times mean much at all.

Thanks for providing the ready-made soap box

PFnV

Last edited by a moderator:
math!!

F.B.N. said:
Doesn't a 4.55 player taking the correct angle tackle the 4.4 guy anyways...

lot's of people seem to mess this up...

math time.

here's a triangle defined by three periods (.) labeled A, B, and C.

.A
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
.B-------.C

no, actually let's say point A is the endzone corner, and point B is peyton manning, and point C is rodney harrison. since this is a right triangle, we know these distances in relation to one another. this is a 3:4:5 triangle (3 units being the length of the shortest side (BC), 4 units for the middle side (AB), and 5 units for the hypotenuse (AC))

peyton has 40 yards to the endzone, rodney has 50 yards.

rodney and peyton are destined to meet at the pylon. if peyton runs those 40 yards in 5.0 seconds, rodney must also run his distance in 5.0 seconds to hit peyton at the corner of the endzone. rodney would then have run the equivalent of a 4.0 second 40 yard dash.

go rodney go

Last edited:
see dan drive said:
rodney and peyton are destined to meet at the pylon. if peyton runs those 40 yards in 5.0 seconds, rodney must also run his distance in 5.0 seconds to hit peyton at the corner of the endzone. rodney would then have run the equivalent of a 4.0 second 40 yard dash.

go rodney go

Actually...Rodney would not be perpendicular to Peyton....and if he was...well then Geno will get him. No need for Math time...I got all the way through to Differential Equations.:D:p

Last edited:
Per Rodney Harrison- when the big RB's are coming, when the big TE's are coming, when the big WR's are coming, a lot of those 4.4 guys turn into 4.7 guys and some of us 4.6 guys turn into 4.4 guys.

I think that says a lot about timed speed in non game situations.

F.B.N. said:

Preaching to the choir. The number of times in an NFL game where someone is required to run 40 yards is small...and most of those are kicking plays. I've got no use for any time measurement over 20 yards, unless we're looking for gunners. Late acceleration means nothing is this game. The arena football league is filled with guys who had a great 40 time. Do I really care that Receiver A will reach a spot 40 yards down field 2 tenths of a second faster than Receiver B? Nope. Especially if Receiver B is faster over the first 10.

Last edited:
Ãt's just a number that might look spectacular.
Doesn't the same apply to the bench press and someone's strength?

see dan drive said:
lot's of people seem to mess this up...

math time.

here's a triangle defined by three periods (.) labeled A, B, and C.

.A
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
.B-------.C

no, actually let's say point A is the endzone corner, and point B is peyton manning, and point C is rodney harrison. since this is a right triangle, we know these distances in relation to one another. this is a 3:4:5 triangle (3 units being the length of the shortest side (BC), 4 units for the middle side (AB), and 5 units for the hypotenuse (AC))

peyton has 40 yards to the endzone, rodney has 50 yards.

go rodney go

Who would Rodney be 30 yards away from Peyton? The whole field is only 55 yards wide.

dryheat44 said:
The number of times in an NFL game where someone is required to run 40 yards is small.

And the times they are, usually the guys chasing them are getting a later start or moving at angle or changing directions.

There is no play in football when two guys stand side by side and run 40 yards. Even on a fly pattern the DB starts with a few yard advantage but starts by backpeddling at first and then has to turn and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back