PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you fear most/think is the weak spot of the Patriots D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
What do you fear about the D as it stand now?? injuries to the linebacking corp?? To the line?? As of now, what I fear are offenses taking advantage of the more aging D..via a no-huddle offense. Didn't both the Jets and Colts use this as a way to get upfield quick?? For some reason, I just think this might be an achilles heel or?? Maybe I'm wrong but as of this point, it seems to be a weakness. What are the others..and is this more phantom than real??

My biggest fear is the aging linebackers and injuries that will be associated with it......particularly the inside linebackers

our weakness is the comeback route.

Our DBs get deep by design and by coverage responsibilities (staying with their man). If a WR does a comeback route, they are typically wide open. Our pass rush has to do a bit better job in disrupting this relatively slow developing play.

my only concern is injuries at the LB position.

I think our starting LB corp is solid, but we get thin quick if we have any injuries.

LB - a downtick in play AND depth concerns.

cornerback depth and the secondary if Asante is not here.

CB Depth no doubt EVEN with Asante there.

I mean who do we really have that can stay healthy?

I would have liked to pick up a CB in the draft.

If Rodney's OK, we're strong at safety and questionable at CB with Samuel/weak without.

Of course If Wilson moves to corner and Gay is healthy:rolleyes: . I think we've all learned about banking on ifs and buts, especially in the secondary.

Good, extremely old, 5 man rotation at LB if Seau's healthy. Without injuries it's a very talented lineup.

Hopefully there's some progress towards a future backup.

Lack of team speed on D. Colts exposed us, no doubt.

QB12

The Pats have a 4th backup on DL who is on the practice squad and more ready to step in, IMO, than any young reserve at LB or the secondary.

OK, that was an awkward sentence and maybe not true, but Santonio Thomas stepping into the AFC champ game would have filled me with more confidence than Rashad Baker or Eric Alexander. Just saying...

Yet they use their second pick in the draft on another Dlineman when they have LeKevin, Wright, Green and Thomas (on the PS).:confused:

I could see if they were picking up steals at LB and CB, But it's been Warfields, Starks, Earthwinds and Beisels lately.

Last edited:
Every position is solid besides maybe ILB, but even then.

I think CB is solid too: Samuel, Hobbs, James, Gay, Scott. All of who could be starters on some teams in the NFL right now.

Without a doubt at this time ILB is a major concern for me.

Without a doubt at this time ILB is a major concern for me.

I would definitely like to see a 6th lber as stated earlier for the rotation. However, if there was more known about Mays, Woods or Alexander I would feel better. By more known I mean visual proof they could make an impact.

I also just wanted to comment that Seymonsta has gone to campaigning for lbers in his sig.Haha classic:D

I also just wanted to comment that Seymonsta has gone to campaigning for lbers in his sig.Haha classic:D

I have been campaigning for LB's for 4 years now...:(

But hey thats why I am not working for the Pats.:D

Yeah I would like to see or read what Mays, Alexander and Woods bring to the table also but I guess we will have to wait...

I have to agree with what was said earlier, the biggest problem I see is a total lack of speed/coverage ability by the LB's and safties. Yes Thomas helps on one side of the field, but that may not be enough, especially with Tedy wearing down some.

Before the draft, it was Free Safety. The Pats were fortunate to have Meriweather there at #24 after the run on DBs in the 1st round.

FS was a mess at the end of last season. Hawkins was wearing down and got injured at Indy. Wilson, when he's not injured, was abysmal the last two seasons. RH has had 2 knee injuries and a shoulder injury over the last two years.

Meriweather is a welcome addition to this team.

That said, if Asante holds out or dogs it on on the field, CB will become a serious issue.

Last edited:
What do you fear about the D as it stand now?? injuries to the linebacking corp?? To the line?? As of now, what I fear are offenses taking advantage of the more aging D..via a no-huddle offense. Didn't both the Jets and Colts use this as a way to get upfield quick?? For some reason, I just think this might be an achilles heel or?? Maybe I'm wrong but as of this point, it seems to be a weakness. What are the others..and is this more phantom than real??

The only thing I am concerned about is injuries. I am comfortable with our starters and don't see any major weaknesses.

If we take too many injuries at MLB or at CB, it could get interesting.

Team speed is not an issue IMO. Thomas was a major upgrade in that dept. Vrabel and Colvin can still move well and Bruschi makes up for any loss of step with incredible instincts.

Easy question. Inside LB and Secondary. Besides Thomas, our LB's are old and slow. Despite their awesome additions on offense, if there is anything that holds NE from making it to the superbowl this year, it's their LB's. The Colts have laid out the blue print in beating the Pats; kill them with slot recievers and tightends. Until the Pats prove they can cover opponents TE's and slot recievers, don't be suprised to see teams test them early in the season. As far as the secondary goes, I'm not sold that Harrison will regain his '03 form or his San Diego form for that matter. However, I love the addition of Merriweather because he can play every secondary position. Hobbs has a lot to prove and Samuel may sit out the year or get traded. Finally, the depth in the secondary should be ok with Gay, Hawkins, James, Jackson, Sanders, Wilson, and Scott.

Weakest link:

1) Eric Alexander... hopefully Seau squeezes him back to exclusive ST duty
2) James Sanders
3) Pierre Woods
4) Rodney Harrison... you can't be good on the sidelines
5) Tory James... and he might actually be good

The rest of the group leave very little to be wished for.

my concern: Bruschi..if hes playing SILB..and he performs like last year in the end..were gonna give up a lot of yards unless we put Seau in..but then again..neither cover well(Bruschi couldnt do a lot this year..hopefully it was the injury and not age)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes