PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we tell the kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
This is a common refrain, a constant question and fallout from what happened this week.

I have kids. I encourage them to keep up to date on what's happening in the world. They already know something about media-hype and scandals, why and how they are reported, but also our warped perspectives and priorities.

I try not to give them my perspective or point-of-view. In each case, I encourage them to get the specifics and details before they make a judgement. I tell them to figure out the context in which a media event is taking place. It's up to them to decide if something is cheating or not. At the age of 11 and 7 they already know not to trust entirely what people in authority have to say.

I'm sorry that Tom Jackson isn't a good enough Dad to teach his daughter how to be more discerning. But his defense, "What do we tell the kids?" is pretty hollow.

My daughter, on her own, after discussing it for awhile, came to the conclusion that the Patriots cheated. But she put it into the context of what normally happens in the NFL. She already knew that 300 pound behemoths who can run this fast is a bit unnatural. She already knows about the drugs. She knows that, if you're watching the NFL and cheering these teams on, you can get easily disgusted if you peel back the facade. As a joke, I said to her, it's like complaining about the small bikinis in beach volleyball, and she laughed.

Now, I'm not going to lie. There is some fallout from teaching your kids to be circumspect and suspicious. Like my daughter's penchant for talking back and challenging her parents on practically everything. And I hear it from my wife. "That's the way you raised her." Still, I'm proud of the kid, and I'm proud that she's not so jaded and cynical that she still can call her favorite team cheaters because she still believes in fair play. Her dad doesn't because he thinks the league is so hypocritical in this regard. My daughter just thinks cheating is cheating no matter what. That's fine with me. At least she has a realistic sense of the world and how it operates. Me, I'm going to be a bit arrogant and sanctimonious here, but only because the target of my scorn deserves it for being a hypocritical sanctimonius sucker: I'm a better Dad than Tom Jackson.

Tell kids the same thing I tell myself, these are men who put their pants on one leg at a time.. they make mistakes, like every man or person does.. as much as I respect and admire BB I do not idolize him. He did what he did, he misintrepreted a memo, taped a game for future use and has been lambasted all over the press.

What did you tell them about Harrison?

Belichick broke the rules and got caught. He said he was sorry (a white lie for the kids). The team is being punished. The judge is seeing whether there was any more rule-breaking. The league is making an example out of the patriots. Other teams have done similar things, adn the league want to make sure that there is less rule breaking in the future. There was no cheating.

Let's see if anything comes from the "notes" the league wants to obtain from the Patriots.
This is all that matters now.

if you're looking for role models, don't look at sports, media, or politics. you look right at home and hopefully there are some good ones there.

I think that you tell them that if you cheat, no matter how good you think you are at doing it, you will get caught. Then you will have to face consequences and point out the $750,000.00 worth of fines and the reaction people have shown towards people labeled as cheaters.

It is a great lesson for our youth. Turn it into a positive. You have evidence to show that cheaters don't get away with it, not even the all mighty BB.

Tell your kids don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Belichick broke the rules and got caught. He said he was sorry (a white lie for the kids). The team is being punished. The judge is seeing whether there was any more rule-breaking. The league is making an example out of the patriots. Other teams have done similar things, adn the league want to make sure that there is less rule breaking in the future. There was no cheating.

Didn't tell them anything about Harrison,did not come up, how can you judge the intent of the apology? Must have some unseen/unknown powers..

Not sure what the judge is going to be, if you are referring to more tapes am sure there is more.. probably boxes of them, that is what BB does he has a lot of film and reviews a lot of film.

You have been angry about this whole thing all week, need to take a step back this is a huge game tonite.. football will go on.

My daughter did a better job than this. I have to say. She read the rule. The rule that restricted videotaping. She also knew that the NFL's Steve Alic approves of using tape to steal signals. She called that cheating too, even though the NFL approved of it. The main question for her was, what's the difference between what the NFL approves of, and what it disapproves of? She's knows what a double standard and hypocrisy are, and though she thinks those words apply to the NFL, she still said cheating is cheating.

Tell them that its cool to cheat, everybody's doing even BB and the Pats!

This isn't only about sports. I'd rather my kids pay more attention to how the media operates than worry about cheating in sports. She was too young to know what happened in the 2000 and 2004 elections. But if she was paying attention to the media back then, I'm hopeful she would realize that the media attacks on John McCain and John Kerry's military service in 2000 and 2004 respectively was a distortion. The media operates in a completely distorted fashion quite often.

You tell them to do their homework and keep their room clean.

You tell them that you can't believe everything the media tells them.

You tell them the media sensationalizes most stories for ratings to make $$$.

Most of all ... you tell them to check all the facts and make their own
decision, that's how they mature anyways.

Any parent that tells their kids what to think all the time is clueless.

Whoever has taught their kids that sports teams/members are sacriligious have been telling a lie to their kids ... shame on them.

Jackson looked really upset as he picked the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down