PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we do with Jimmy G going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish our offense ran the ball a bit more to prolong Brady's shelf life(i.e rotator cuff). The guy is averaging 40-50 attempts per game. If Brady wants to play 3-4 more years, Pats may need to adopt a slightly different offensive approach with more emphasis on the run game, kind of like Denver in the late 90s when with Terrell Davis.

What percentage of all his throws is that, though? It wouldn't surprise me if he threw 500 passes a week in practice.

Jimmy G has now been our backup for two years & is a free agent in a couple of years.

Their was a post last week that some talking head said that we should Franchise him.

We did Franchise Cassell before trading him, but I dont see that happening again.

I like Jimmy G, but I also think Brady is going to be around at least another 4 or 5 years as our starter & I would love to see us get as many championships as possible while Brady is here.

I am not sure of Jimmy G's value, but bad teams have been known to do crazy things.

Houston really needs a QB.
I am sure it is probably wishful thinking, but imagine trading Jimmy G for D Hopkins??

I would prefer we maximize Jummy G's value while Brady is still on his game.

His value is more in a trade than it is as a clipboard holding backup.
The clip board holding backup is on Bernard Pollack/TJ Ward hit away from having to play.

We survived with Mallett as out backup for a couple years. I would bring in a Veteran & draft a project in the 4th-7th round. Hoyer was a UDFA & turned out better than some 1st round picks.

Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky would be worth a late round gamble.

Ponder & Manuel were both top 15 picks and Hoyer is a far better player.

My opinion is, if you think Brady will be here another 3+ years, you might as well explore Jimmy G's value.

I am not saying you could get Hopkins for him. Then again if we could, I would love to see Brady get that type of Weapon.
Hoyer is not very good.

It's a mistake to think that we can likely move on or reload at the QB position. When Brady leaves look for BB to leave as well - so all bets are off. The JAG/BB era is not likely to ever happen IMHO.
BB isn't going anywhere.

We survived with Mallett as out backup for a couple years. I would bring in a Veteran & draft a project in the 4th-7th round. Hoyer was a UDFA & turned out better than some 1st round picks.

Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky would be worth a late round gamble.

Ponder & Manuel were both top 15 picks and Hoyer is a far better player.

My opinion is, if you think Brady will be here another 3+ years, you might as well explore Jimmy G's value.

I am not saying you could get Hopkins for him. Then again if we could, I would love to see Brady get that type of Weapon.
Finding someone like Hoyer isn't the norm, just because teams have taken mediocre players early doesn't mean a late round player will be as good. The patriots obviously value having a high quality backup that they can develop our else they wouldn't have taken Jimmy.

Finding someone like Hoyer isn't the norm, just because teams have taken mediocre players early doesn't mean a late round player will be as good. The patriots obviously value having a high quality backup that they can develop our else they wouldn't have taken Jimmy.

The Patriots value all positions.

Then again......

Do you think Ryan Mallett was a high quality backup?

BB isn't going anywhere.

If Bill leaves, it won't be because Brady goes.

With virtually every starter signed for next year and a bunch of picks coming, why is anyone in a hurry to get rid of Jimmy? Even if we pretend the Patriots can come up with another Cassell/Hoyer type find.... is that really the caliber of backup you want as Brady hits the home stretch? I'm far more concerned about how to keep JG around than I am with how much anyone would be willing to pay for him.

Last edited:
The Patriots value all positions.

Then again......

Do you think Ryan Mallett was a high quality backup?
no but he wasnt a poor quality one either.

no but he wasnt a poor quality one either.

You said the patriots valued high quality backups.

What would you call Mallett Considering he is in his prime, healthy & unemployed ???

I will let you in on a secret. Mallett may have been tall, but he wasn't high quality.

Going forward... we keep him as the backup until his rookie deal expires, so that we're not like the Vikings and 1 hit away from starting Shaun Hill. When his deal expires, assuming he hasn't seen the field much, he'll have no real trade value but he will presumably go and sign somewhere where he has a chance to compete for the starting job.

I think we need to account for the fact that the league doesn't place a lot of value on learning under Brady and Belichick. Cassel, Mallett, and Hoyer haven't exactly lit the world on fire in their post-Pats careers, and that will inform other teams' perceptions. Someone will take a shot at him on his own merits--maybe the Cowboys figuring that Romo's his best comp and he has real potential to become a marketable star--but I doubt anyone will give significant assets to the Pats to make it happen.

You said the patriots valued high quality backups.

What would you call Mallett Considering he is in his prime, healthy & unemployed ???

I will let you in on a secret. Mallett may have been tall, but he wasn't high quality.
Mallet is unemployed right now because he is an ******* who has twice publicly thrown a tantrum when he didnt get his way. Otherwise he would be with a team

Mallet is unemployed right now because he is an ******* who has twice publicly thrown a tantrum when he didnt get his way. Otherwise he would be with a team

Obviously from your earlier post you considered Mallett a high quality backup.

Obviously from your earlier post you considered Mallett a high quality backup.
I do. He is someone capable of starting but teams don't like his demeanor when he doesn't get his way and thats especially not good in a backup quarterback. I cant think of many current backups id rather have in terms of ability though

I do. He is someone capable of starting but teams don't like his demeanor when he doesn't get his way and thats especially not good in a backup quarterback. I cant think of many current backups id rather have in terms of ability though

If you think Mallett is a high quality QB, I am not going to rain on your parade.

All I woul like to point out, it is an up hill battle in this forum whenever you mention the possibility of moving a player.

As bad as Ron Brace was, their were plenty of people who defended using a 2nd round pick on him.

Where is he now?

Last year I questioned why Hooman was on the team. All the Hoo's in Hoomanville acted like I was stealing their Christmas presents.

Where is Hooman today ?

I am not saying dump Jimmy G, I am just asking his value. If the reward was high, I would consider it. If I wasnt, I would hold into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back