PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we do with Jimmy G going forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Jimmy G has now been our backup for two years & is a free agent in a couple of years.

Their was a post last week that some talking head said that we should Franchise him.

We did Franchise Cassell before trading him, but I dont see that happening again.

I like Jimmy G, but I also think Brady is going to be around at least another 4 or 5 years as our starter & I would love to see us get as many championships as possible while Brady is here.

I am not sure of Jimmy G's value, but bad teams have been known to do crazy things.

Houston really needs a QB.
I am sure it is probably wishful thinking, but imagine trading Jimmy G for D Hopkins??

I would prefer we maximize Jummy G's value while Brady is still on his game.

His value is more in a trade than it is as a clipboard holding backup.

This is the NFL, man. No one can assume the presence of any player beyond a year--or even beyond the next game. Dream on, if you think Brady is going to be leading the charge for 4 or 5 more years.

If it happens it is and incredible story, but I would be very glad if he manages one more potent year.

As to our backup, we know no more about him than we did any of his predecessors, so speculation is pretty impossible--unless Tom gets injured and he takes over in real games.

This is the NFL, man. No one can assume the presence of any player beyond a year--or even beyond the next game. Dream on, if you think Brady is going to be leading the charge for 4 or 5 more years.

If it happens it is and incredible story, but I would be very glad if he manages one more potent year.

As to our backup, we know no more about him than we did any of his predecessors, so speculation is pretty impossible--unless Tom gets injured and he takes over in real games.

1 more? More like 3-4 barring injury or some unimaginable quick drop off. Injury is what has done Peyton in and Brady hasn't and hopefully won't. To say he has one more year of elite play is wrong.

1 more? More like 3-4 barring injury or some unimaginable quick drop off. Injury is what has done Peyton in and Brady hasn't and hopefully won't. To say he has one more year of elite play is wrong.

I didn't predict one more year... I said I wd be happy with one. Hey, he's very highly motivated this year, so we can't factor that in as a norm--and all thee extra work may even take away from his longevity.

Jimmy G has now been our backup for two years & is a free agent in a couple of years.

Their was a post last week that some talking head said that we should Franchise him.

We did Franchise Cassell before trading him, but I dont see that happening again.

I like Jimmy G, but I also think Brady is going to be around at least another 4 or 5 years as our starter & I would love to see us get as many championships as possible while Brady is here.

I am not sure of Jimmy G's value, but bad teams have been known to do crazy things.

Houston really needs a QB.
I am sure it is probably wishful thinking, but imagine trading Jimmy G for D Hopkins??

I would prefer we maximize Jummy G's value while Brady is still on his game.

His value is more in a trade than it is as a clipboard holding backup.

Brady could suffer a career-ending injury in the preseason next year for all we know.

If Belichick thinks Garoppolo is the guy, **** no, you don't trade him. In 3, 4 years, this defense will be one of the very best in the league. Garoppolo's in line to drive a Ferrari, I doubt he's in any hurry to play for a dogshit team.

In other words, this thread's about 2 years premature, IMO.

Brady could suffer a career-ending injury in the preseason next year for all we know.

If Belichick thinks Garoppolo is the guy, **** no, you don't trade him. In 3, 4 years, this defense will be one of the very best in the league. Garoppolo's in line to drive a Ferrari, I doubt he's in any hurry to play for a dogshit team.

In other words, this thread's about 2 years premature, IMO.

Garoppalo could hit a Moose driving home from practice too.

I don't see Garoppalo the starter in 3 years, so why not use his value to increase the product on the field?

I don't see Garoppalo the starter in 3 years, so why not use his value to increase the product on the field?

Well that settles it, once BB realizes cupofjoe doesn't see JG as the starter, he'll dump him for a conditional 7th rounder.

If BB believes in JG, he will be starting here within the next few years.

Fairly sure we'll keep him next year. As good as Brady looks you never know when age will catch up with him. Next offseason, before his last contract year, would be the optimal time to trade him in terms of a safety net for Brady but still being able to trade him if we want to.

Short of a Houston Detroit or other picking top 5 team offering a second this year and a first next year (2017) there is no way you trade a promising young backup QB when your starter is 38. Too many things can go wrong too quickly and despite Brady playing at the absolute top of his game all it takes is one minor injury he does not recover from as quickly due to age to derail the season. You keep JG til at least the trade deadline next year and only if you draft another project QB in the 3rd or 4th

Who would replace him and at what price?

I'm sorry, but there should be plans for contingencies.

Thank God, BB thinks so too.

There's a reason that whenever Garo has played, he has played vanilla and has not been allowed to demonstrate much beyond handing off for runs and hitting the open route- this is to depress his market value and ensure that he'll stay in town for at least a good 2 more years because he's not going to get much value elsewhere.

But his window is closing- he's 24. If he continues riding the bench, he risks becoming a career backup QB, so that's something he and his agent will take into consideration if Brady shows no sign of slowing down.

If we get two more solid seasons from Brady, I would be ecstatic.

Short of a Houston Detroit or other picking top 5 team offering a second this year and a first next year (2017) there is no way you trade a promising young backup QB when your starter is 38. Too many things can go wrong too quickly and despite Brady playing at the absolute top of his game all it takes is one minor injury he does not recover from as quickly due to age to derail the season. You keep JG til at least the trade deadline next year and only if you draft another project QB in the 3rd or 4th
Well that's never going to happen so having into him will be easy. Jimmy has played 3 quarters in the nfl, you could not get a first for him

Who would replace him and at what price?

I'm sorry, but there should be plans for contingencies.

Thank God, BB thinks so too.

We survived with Mallett as out backup for a couple years. I would bring in a Veteran & draft a project in the 4th-7th round. Hoyer was a UDFA & turned out better than some 1st round picks.

Brandon Doughty from Western Kentucky would be worth a late round gamble.

Ponder & Manuel were both top 15 picks and Hoyer is a far better player.

My opinion is, if you think Brady will be here another 3+ years, you might as well explore Jimmy G's value.

I am not saying you could get Hopkins for him. Then again if we could, I would love to see Brady get that type of Weapon.

Last edited:
Well that's never going to happen so having into him will be easy. Jimmy has played 3 quarters in the nfl, you could not get a first for him

Maybe your right, but what about a 2nd in 2016 & 2017? I could see that happening.

It could also be a player for a player.

Last edited:
I think they will assess both QBs at the proper time and go from there.

Considering that they are both signed through the end of the 2017 season/spring 2018, I'm guessing that this isn't a subject that's on the mind of Bill Belichick.

We shouldn't be having this conversation until at least early 2017--as another poster mentioned. In the meantime, they'll be more than happy to keep JG on his cheap, rookie deal, which is likely why they drafted him in the first place. He's getting valuable practice reps in our system, and continuing to grow.

I don't see why people are so quick to want to do something with JG.

As of right now, he's more valuable being our QB2 than anything else. And I don't see that changing for at least another year.

Let him develop, you never know what the future holds. Kid has got a lot of potential. It only takes one hit, and he's playing meaningful snaps.

If anyone could play at a high level past 40 it's Brady due to his commitment to longevity. Bernard Hopkins and George foreman were champions in their mid to late 40's so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back