PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do we do now at cornerback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeShmoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
OK so we have Bodden, Hobbs, Springs, Wheatley, Willhite, Butler, Richardson, and Lewis Sanders battling it out in camp. Is O'Neill still here?

Bodden at 6'1, 28 years old and playing for a contract ought to be playing his socks off so I'd expect him to start.

Hobbs you would think would be the no.2 initially but should be getting challenged by Wheatley and Butler pretty early - to the point where I would expect one of these two to have the other starting job by year end. Hobbs is serviceable but im sure one of Butler/Wheatley will overtake him in time - if Wheatley stays fit of course

I’d guess then that Hobbs is used for his return skills and plays nickel/dime. I think his contracts up next year and I suspect we let him go

I think Springs ends up as a situational nickelback/safety backing up Merriweather, Sanders, Chung and Tank

All of which leaves Wilhite, Richardson and Sanders fighting for what's left

All of which, it must be said, is a world better than where we were last season

Last edited:
I thought Lewis Sanders and O'neal we're both free agents, but i'm not sure. I think it will be Bodden and Wheatley starting, Hobbs nickle, Butler Dime, Wilhite ST and fifth CB, Springs in L. Sanders type of role and Richardson cut. Overall i feel pretty comfortable going into the 09 season with this group

I hope we keep Wilihite. What I saw of him last year, he looked good. Not amazing, but good.

My initial take is that we will be using a couple of bridge players, Bodden and Springs to mentor all this youth... the days of picking up any CB and just expecting them to contribute seems to have changed, I expect our D Backfield will be a lot more agressive than in the past.

After the Samuel fiasco and a whole lot of injuries, we will have guys in the wings who are ready to fill in if necessary..

Hobbs starts. Unless Wheatley or Butler is "through the roof" impressive, BB likes Hobbs too much. I think Wheatley and Butler will be groomed for coming years, with Wheatley potentially being to injury prone to last full seasons (though I am hopeful he will avoid bumps going forward).

Richardson is gone. He didn't impress when he played in the latter half of the 08 season as a nickelback when we had no CBs. Useful training camp fodder though.

For me we have a completely open training camp battle for the top CB spots. Do it all on merit. I expect the winners will be Bodden, Springs and Hobbs, with Wheatley/Butler/Wilhite being brought in at appropriate moments.

Richardson is gone. He didn't impress when he played in the latter half of the 08 season as a nickelback when we had no CBs. Useful training camp fodder though.

For me we have a completely open training camp battle for the top CB spots. Do it all on merit. I expect the winners will be Bodden, Springs and Hobbs, with Wheatley/Butler/Wilhite being brought in at appropriate moments.

I agree with this. Richardson had impressed a bit before his severe injury limited him. He was only brought in at the end of the year out of desperation.

I also figure the vets will be given the starters roles and they'll be pushed by the 3 youngsters. If the "oldies" slip, BB will have a quick hook "à la Eugene Wilson comes in early in the year to save the backfield".

Lewis Sanders isn't with the team. Neither is O'Neal. So the Pats have 6 CBs going into camp. However, lets not forget that the Pats have gone through CBs like there is no tomorrow several times.. So, having a lot isn't a bad thing.

BTW, I wouldn't count Richardson out too soon. When he was good in TC, he was playing on the edge. That's different than playing in the slot.

CB Bodden, Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite
S Sanders, Meriweather, Chung
FS/CB Springs, Butler

CB Butler, Wheatley, Wilhite
S Meriweather, Chung, Sanders
FS/CB Springs

NO ROOM AT THE INN (COMPETING FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF ROSTER SPOTS)
Spann, Richardson

A NOTE
Chung and Butler are starting and STAR special teamers.

By all accounts Wilhite is very tough. Wheatley is a question mark though. But I still wouldn't be surprised to see Springs or Bodden beaten out by the youngsters.

I think it will be Bodden, Wheatley, Butler. Then Hobbs at Nickel, Wilhite at Dime. Springs i think will play of Safety or CB in the dime or nickel.

Don't rule out one of the veterans moving to FS in rotation there at least part time. I would say that going into camp that Springs and Hobbs will be the starters, but several players have a good chance to knock one or both out of the starting role.

I think it will be Bodden, Wheatley, Butler. Then Hobbs at Nickel, Wilhite at Dime. Springs i think will play of Safety or CB in the dime or nickel.

Bodden and Wheatley beating out Ellis Hobbs as a starting CB?

Now, that's a prediction.

Bodden may not even make the team, and we certainly haven't seen enough from Wheatley--even if he does end up being good, he's not going to beat out Ellis Hobbs this yr as a starting CB. Hobbs is a #2 CB anywhere in this league, and contributes well on ST.

Hobbs will be too expensive for us to retain next yr, as he'll demand 8 mill +

If Hobbs isn't a starting CB this yr--then our secondary is in a much better position than anyone thinks

Bodden and Wheatley beating out Ellis Hobbs as a starting CB?

Now, that's a prediction.

Bodden may not even make the team, and we certainly haven't seen enough from Wheatley--even if he does end up being good, he's not going to beat out Ellis Hobbs this yr as a starting CB. Hobbs is a #2 CB anywhere in this league, and contributes well on ST.

Hobbs will be too expensive for us to retain next yr, as he'll demand 8 mill +

If Hobbs isn't a starting CB this yr--then our secondary is in a much better position than anyone thinks

Bodden not make the team? He might be the best CB we have. He's a lock.

I wouldn't lock anyone. We all thought Bryant was for sure going to make the team last year and that didn't pan out either, so i wouldn't say that right now. Let's see how he fits in our team and than decide on him.

I wouldn't say he's a lock. Especially not with the competition he has. If he was such a lock then he'd have more suitors that went after him, instead of basically signing almost a vet minimum contract. I know he had a good yr with the Browns a couple yrs ago, but he had a pretty bad yr last yr, sucking team aside. Just because he had a good yr with a lousy team doesn't mean he has a guaranteed spot here. See Starks, O'Neil, Bryant, etc

I'd say he does make the team, but I wouldn't say he's a 'lock'--if he is, then who goes? My guess is Richardson goes, Springs to Safety

CB: Hobbs, Springs, (at a decent contract, mind you) Butler, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson, Bodden

I wouldn't lock anyone. We all thought Bryant was for sure going to make the team last year and that didn't pan out either, so i wouldn't say that right now. Let's see how he fits in our team and than decide on him.

Yep, my thoughts exactly

We traded a 3rd for Starks, and he was the worst. Bryant and O'Neil pretty much sucked too.

Bodden is in no way a lock, but he should provide real good competition for the others. Others have come in, not knowing our system--and failed. I know he ran a similar system in Cleveland, but maybe he just had a good yr, too

The Pats look the deepest they've been in the secondary in years, and I've seen their Superbowl teams. They have a great mix of vets and youths.

Butler looks like a guy who could eventually be a Ty Law/Asante Samuel dominant CB. Expect to see big things out of him soon, but probably not until 2010. In the meantime Butler will contribute on ST and has the flexibility to contribute on offense as a receiver or end around guy for select plays as well.

As for Chung, I think he might overtake Sanders for the SS job by midseason. He is the enforcer that this Pats secondary has been desperately missing ever since Harrison became a shell of himself. Love this pick, and yes I think he's a better fit for the Pats than Delmas.

Well, I certainly stand corrected on my assessment of Hobbs as a starter, now that we just traded him. I still think he can be a starter, and my guess is that we were going to lose him for nothing next yr--I guess it's better to get something than just a comp pick (I guess?)

:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey