QB

I like Dan Connor as a true ILB.

By Position and priority (unless value supercedes the need):
ILB/OLB
TE
DB
OL
QB

Some folks on the Bills boards want us (I'm a Bills fan) to grab him, but I don't think it makes sense considering we just picked up Mitchell and have Poz coming back (our 2nd rounder from last year who missed most of the year with an injury suffered in the first Bills-Pats game). I also don't think he'll be available by the time we pick this round, so if you guys want him, you'll need to take him early. I suspect you might grab him with one of your early 3rds. Please don't take Cottam--we badly need a TE and it looks like nearly all the good ones have been taken, although I won't cry if Rucker is still available for us in the 4th.

From what I've read, this draft has good depth up until 75-80, so you guys should have a chance at grabbing at least one or two good players in Rd 3, although as in years past I suspect you'll end up trading one of your three thirds to someone for 2 next year (which I would think of as a smart thing, personally.)

Best of luck tomorrow,

I stand corrected actually. Connor is an OLB, not an ILB. I still like him, Avril and Goff (true ILB). There are also a # of CBs that are ranked higher than Wheatley. Reggie Smith and Justin King, but neither have much speed.

Pass rushers for crying out loud! There was a great opprotunity in the second round to grab Groves and the Pats blew it. With three third round picks, I think they could have grabbed a cornerback. With that said, here is what the Pats should target:

DE/OLB - Cliff Avril
DE/OLB - Shawn Crable
DE/OLB - Marcus Howard

ILB - Jonathon Goff

RB - Steve Slaton
RB - Kevin Smith

CB - Charles Godfrey
CB - Antwan Molden
CB - Chevis Jackson

TE: Brad Cottam

Nice call, Archives. Let's add a few. I like CB Branch from UConn and QB Ainge. I REALLY like either of your RB choices. Prediction: Cottam, Smith, Ainge. Maybe Jackson. Would they take Manningham or Doucett?

Exactly how did the Pats blow it? Groves was drafted ten picks before the Pats drafted in the second round. How do you know the Pats didn't try to trade up, but got no takers? Or that they did try to trade up to where the Jags did, but the Jags' offer was better but they didn't give the Bucs an opportunity to get a counter offer from the Pats?

To say the Pats blew it is a little unfair. Since none of us have access to what is going on in the war rooms, we don't know if the Pats had a realistic shot at all.

if the pats wanted groves, they would have had him...that they did not pursue him tells me they were not interested

Nice call, Archives. Let's add a few. I like CB Branch from UConn and QB Ainge. I REALLY like either of your RB choices. Prediction: Cottam, Smith, Ainge. Maybe Jackson. Would they take Manningham or Doucett?

I was going to list Manningham but I think he will be gone by the time the Pats pick. Also, I have heard good things about Branch as well. I'm kind of backing off of recievers in general because I don't know how they would fit a roster spot on this team. Ainge could be a nice addition.

Last edited:
My guess in order for rounds 3 and 4:

TE
OLB
OT/G
CB/S

Can't wait to see what they do. I'm all for trading out for next year's picks too. It really sucked losing Kareem Brown and Justin Rogers (and Garrett Mills even though he wasn't a rookie) just because our roster was already stacked.

Yeah okay MG, you usually end up being right when we disagree. But I'll wait til this morning's action to tip the hat.

I just love watching today's third turn into tomorrow's second. Maybe this draft is just too good to ignore, from our POV. We know they wanted Wheatley bad. Seems like he's a kid you ASSUME will make a dent in the return game, and HOPE will pan out as a cover corner. Maybe they'll go back to that well in the 3rd and grab another corner, possibly a TE, some beef for the O-line as a shot across the bow, another LB, or just plain "best availables" all the way down. If there's one thing I've learned, it's not to think I know what the Pats are thinking on draft day (though I called Maroney right a couple years ago.)

We'll see...

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back