PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do the Patriots mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know it's a little off topic for this time of the offseason but today I was thinking back to Super Bowl 36, reminding myself of how important the Pats are to me.

February 3, 2002. It's a day I'll never forget. The main reason Ill never forget it though is because the day before, February 2, I lost my granny to bone cancer. I was 22 at the time and she was the first person I was really close to that I lost.

I spent that Sunday at the funeral home for visitation. I really had no intention of watching the game that night, I wasn't going to leave my mother or grandpa. About an hour before kickoff though, my mom told me to head back to my grandpa's house to watch it. So I did.

As the game first started, I really wasn't into it. I can't say that I didn't care, just that I really had no emotion one way or the other. That changed when Ty Law took the INT to the house. It was game on after that and I was fully into it.

Late in the game, I was just as stressed as I'm sure a lot of fans were, especially after the penalty negated the Jones fumble return.

One thing I'll never forget though. As soon as that extra point that tied the game was good and I saw how much time was left on the clock, a tremendous peace came over me. I knew. I knew Brady would take us down the field, and I knew Vinatieri wouldn't miss. In my heart, I knew we were about to be Super Bowl champs.

When the kick went through, I just remember being down on the carpet on my hands and knees, laughing. I just couldn't stop laughing. It was perfect. Nothing else mattered at that moment. The pain I was feeling over my granny was gone for a little while.

It only got better when my family made it back to the house. They had gotten into the car to head home about 20 seconds before the kick so they heard it. When they walked in, seeing the smile on my grandpa's face is something I would never trade for anything in this world. He had just lost the love of his life, but he was so happy for me, it made him forget for a little while too. I just wish he could have made it another 2 and half years so he could have seen his Saints win it all.

I can't watch that game and not feel something. I can't hear "Where the Streets Have No Name" and not think about my granny and smile. Because of what surrounded that day and that game, losing her the day before and laying her to rest the day after, it will forever be one of the greatest moments of my life.

That's what the Patriots mean to me.

The Pats mean I don't have to watch baseball. :popcorn:

sounds like a screenplay

write it up and send it to Matt Damon...who knows?

I lurk here a lot and have hardly ever posted.
But wanted to say your post was very touching, Crazy Patriots Guy.
The Pats have given me a lot of special moments in difficult times too. Here's looking forward to many more of those moments.

I really appreciate writing such as yours. There's nowhere near enough of it on this site. A reason is because the average football fan is psychologically a apollonian male, not dionysian. This means he identifies with Apollo, symbolizing physical strength and enforcement of social rules, such as not displaying outer emotion. They think with their left hemisphere, the more linear, less creative & imaginative side. They prefer this over over pensive inner thought. Most guys on this site would choose to keep experiences such as yours to themselves, in fear of appearing weak, for some ungodly reason.

On the other hand, dionysian males, the ones whore more likely to write in the vein you just did, identify with Dionysis, the god of wine, song, and revelry. They thinks with their right hemisphere, the less linear, more creative and expressive side. Modern day dionysian males tend to be musicians, artists, and writers.

I typed a post similar to yours at the end of last season, when the Patriot Dynasty's statistics were finally able to be tallied. I also wrote about when I was growing up in the late 70's and all the Patriots meant to me in Connecticut, where they weren't popular or very good. Boy, have they come a long way. I was pleasantly surprised to see positive feedback from people here.
Thank you for my visit today and my finding something a little more memorable to read here instead of the usual post-draft "who's this guy, who's that guy, wadya think is gonna happen with all of them come September" insanely obsessive banter. Also, I can't frickn' believe someone, anyone would actually have over ten freaking thousand posts on a football website. ANY website,for that matter. Some of these guys are delusional. Oh, I read 'em all, nevertheless. It's nice to see someone thinking along your lines for a change. hanks for the stories. You see, THAT'S the stuff I'll take with me. Not who moved up or down 5 spots draft day & whether or not it's gonna pan out or be a bust. YOUR choice payed off, football-wise.

Great post CPG. It is hard to top that. I will just say that, like you, the Patriots bring me back to my grandfather.

Last edited:
I'm just glad neither of my Grandmothers were ever aware of Clive Rush.

I think anytime you mix a Clive with a brutal sport like football you're gonna end up with problems

I really appreciate writing such as yours. There's nowhere near enough of it on this site. A reason is because the average football fan is psychologically a apollonian male, not dionysian. This means he identifies with Apollo, symbolizing physical strength and enforcement of social rules, such as not displaying outer emotion. They think with their left hemisphere, the more linear, less creative & imaginative side. They prefer this over over pensive inner thought. Most guys on this site would choose to keep experiences such as yours to themselves, in fear of appearing weak, for some ungodly reason.

On the other hand, dionysian males, the ones whore more likely to write in the vein you just did, identify with Dionysis, the god of wine, song, and revelry. They thinks with their right hemisphere, the less linear, more creative and expressive side. Modern day dionysian males tend to be musicians, artists, and writers.

I typed a post similar to yours at the end of last season, when the Patriot Dynasty's statistics were finally able to be tallied. I also wrote about when I was growing up in the late 70's and all the Patriots meant to me in Connecticut, where they weren't popular or very good. Boy, have they come a long way. I was pleasantly surprised to see positive feedback from people here.
Thank you for my visit today and my finding something a little more memorable to read here instead of the usual post-draft "who's this guy, who's that guy, wadya think is gonna happen with all of them come September" insanely obsessive banter. Also, I can't frickn' believe someone, anyone would actually have over ten freaking thousand posts on a football website. ANY website,for that matter. Some of these guys are delusional. Oh, I read 'em all, nevertheless. It's nice to see someone thinking along your lines for a change. hanks for the stories. You see, THAT'S the stuff I'll take with me. Not who moved up or down 5 spots draft day & whether or not it's gonna pan out or be a bust. YOUR choice payed off, football-wise.

Didn't know it was a
images
tonight ...
images

I think anytime you mix a Clive with a brutal sport like football you're gonna end up with problems

When it comes to Patriots Football, Clive was one of a kind.

One thing I'll never forget though. As soon as that extra point that tied the game was good and I saw how much time was left on the clock, a tremendous peace came over me. I knew. I knew Brady would take us down the field, and I knew Vinatieri wouldn't miss. In my heart, I knew we were about to be Super Bowl champs.

Overall very nice story, but I can honestly say that I was lacking this 'tremendous peace' you are talking of. After the Jones fumble was called back, and they scored to tie it, I was thinking 'here we go again.' I was very disappointed to have the game at hand, only to see them come back from a 17-3 deficit.

I only wish I had the feeling of peacefullness and calm--knowing that a rookie QB was going to re-gain the momentum after the team blew a 17-3 lead. You must've had a feeling of peacefullness and calm too after David Tyree caught the crazy pass on 3rd and long, knowing that our D was going to stop them with 1 minute left. (???)

I can't watch that game and not feel something. I can't hear "Where the Streets Have No Name" and not think about my granny and smile.

That's funny, because I can never hear Tom Petty's "Runnin' down a dream" without getting terribly angry and needing a drink.

Very nice post Crazy Patriot Guy!

They mean alot, definitely. Appreciate the passion in your post.

The Patriots are like music to me, anytime I'm down I can watch a clip of the famous team introduction at SB36 and I feel at least a little bit better. The team's given us so much to be thankful for some people take it for granted.

Thanks for sharing the story, CPG. I hope you and your family have continued to find peace. It's rare that a thread topic leads to existential thinking, as does your's. What do the Patriots mean to me?

To me, following them is what being a "fan" is all about. It's about loyalty win or lose.

Under the Krafts, the 2000's and BB/TB brought with them a kind of "validation" that few fans ever get to experience and that felt like a reward for decades of frustration. Now, I'm watching with interest and hope as these two guys try to do what no Coach/QB tandem has ever done: together, take success at the highest level (i.e., winning the SB) into a second decade.

The other major significance for me has been a chance to study and understand the history of greatness in the NFL. What the Pats accomplished 2001--2007 puts them among the greatest teams in the history of the League. Now, the Krafts are focused on building something that will be consistently and permanently mentioned when anyone names the "short list" of elite sports' franchises. So, experiencing a long term loyalty to an enterprise that has produced that kind of an effort feels good.

Okay, I have to commend the Dionysian/Appolianian/brain hemispherization attempt, and I have to give props to Icy for responding as if to you "You, sir, are exactly right."

But also have to question whether an appolonian culture is capable of the great feats of drunkeness I have witnessed in the service of fandom. Sort of the province of Dionysus, yeah?

All that said, I love all my Patriots memories too, but that's not what "the Patriots" mean to me. It's more like another form of loyalty you have no further control over. It's irrational. I want the best for the U.S., because I'm an American. I want the Pats to win because I'm a Pats fan.

I couldn't start rooting for Venezuela. I can't just get up in the morning and like the Jets.

There are "convert fans" out there but I never got it. I always figured it's your team, win or lose, whether you're dispirited about it or ecstatic (like at the end of SB XXXVI... I could not believe it until the last tick. I was sure it wouldn't happen... it was another trick, like the Sox in 86. But then it did...)

No offense to converts to the Pats, may you stick with 'em through thick and thin, world without end, amen.

But I'm talking about not being able to be a fan of another team - just couldn't do it. I couldn't wait with baited breath for the Vikings game or the Dolphins game or something. So that's what the Pats mean to me... a team loyalty that I've had long enough that I couldn't get rid of it if I tried.

PFnV

For me ... I work a ton ... average around 80 to 100 hours of work each week. The Patriots and this site are my relaxation ... my escape from the real world both personally and professionally. :D

*Puts up flame shield* The Patriots for me are starting to become less and less likable. I became a fan back in the late 90's. The organization is losing its "class act" factor in my opnion. My favorite players were Bruschi, Vrabel, Law, Givens, Seymour, Branch to name a few. The players I admired have, for the most part, moved on or retired. The only players left on the squad I like are Wes Welker, Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, and Randy Moss. Besides that my opnions vary from neutral to dislike, and this draft class has brought in more players from the latter statistic.

Yeah see this is the movable loyalty thing I just can't fathom. But to each his own.

(but for anybody else who views the post w/less equanimity... FLAME ON!)

I have not lived in the area for a long time so I should cut ties with the Patriots (and Red Sox) but for some reason I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes