PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do Marino, Elway, Montana, and Young all have in common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collins is a recent retiree, but he went to the Pro Bowl at 36 and had his 3rd best QB rating at 38.

Well said. 37--38 seems to be an important time for elite qb's. It just doesn't seem random that the best of the best retire then on average.

Last edited:
They all played in eras where you really had to rough the quarterback to get a flag. Today's rules are on Brady's side.

Second today's passing game is out getting the ball out quickly not about the down the field passing game of eras of the past.

All that can change with one blindside hit but I like Brady and other QB's of today's chances of playing later into their careers.

That's what we will learn, of course, one way or the other over the next ten years.

I do think, however, that you have to put into that same mix the importance of an increased awareness of the medium and long term consequences of sustained head impact that might or might not rise to the level of "concussion" or even "head injury" as we currently define those terms. Remember, these guys have been taking hits to the head since they were 12 or 13.

If I'm a smart guy with a fulfilling life ahead of me after football, I think I'm definitely going to weigh those factors as well as the important issues that you point out.

I would certainly think that there's a better chance that an "elite" QB like Brady stays effective into his late 30's than that a non-elite guy does. Conditioning, physical impairments and the will to compete play a huge role. Right now Brady seems to be in good shape on all 3 fronts, so I wouldn't put it past him. The last factor is huge. Brady has already defied the odds to a huge extent. As long as he stays healthy and maintains his competitive drive, there's not much I wouldn't put past him achieving.

That's very true. I would just add that only Brady and those closest to him can really know how the three factors truly come into play in his case.

Based on the information we have, it certainly looks like he's a guy who wants to and very well could play into his late 30's or early 40's. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up sooner.

Guys like Montana, Young, Elway were are better physical specimens than Brady...better athletes....yet they didn't last. I'll brag about Brady's athleticism over Marino though. But when you compare guys like Testeverde and Collins....just big strong sturdy dudes.
Of course this topic must include a conversation about preserving star status verses maintaining a paycheck.
For Brady....I see a two year extension being the answer

The guys you mentionspent a lot more time out of the pocket scrambling. In fact Young was stopped by concussions not a lack of ability to throw. Brady doesn't seem to have suffered many concussions (he says no concussions) Warren Moon was very effective at 40 also.

They all retired with less rings than Brady will have by the time here retires:rocker:

I know this response was a direct answer to the thread title, but given how the topic has been discussed, this might even be more reason why we should worry sooner than these other QBs? With more accomplished, why wouldn't Brady also consider 'life after football' especially when he is expanding his family that includes a supermodel wife.

I know this response was a direct answer to the thread title, but given how the topic has been discussed, this might even be more reason why we should worry sooner than these other QBs? With more accomplished, why wouldn't Brady also consider 'life after football' especially when he is expanding his family that includes a supermodel wife.

My impression is that he is personally driven and also has the complete support of his wife to carry on for as long as he can. He wants more and will not stop until he gets it or knows he's no longer capable. That's my story and i'm sticking with it;)

There's plenty of time to Sink The Bismark after 40. ;)

I was going to say that they were all Quarterbacks ;)

They all played in eras where you really had to rough the quarterback to get a flag. Today's rules are on Brady's side.

Second today's passing game is out getting the ball out quickly not about the down the field passing game of eras of the past.

All that can change with one blindside hit but I like Brady and other QB's of today's chances of playing later into their careers.

I think it is a valid point that the way the game was officiated in the past works in favor for more longevity for today's players. They also benefit from better knowledge about nutrition, training, exercise and health.

On the other hand the players delivering those hits are bigger, stronger and faster. Yesterday's game was more run oriented, which meant pass rushers were hitting the quarterback less often. Perhaps most importantly teams used to play 12-13 games depending on whether or not they were involved in the championship game; today's players go through 16-20 games per season.

It's as if the tire is now engineered to wear down more slowly and last longer, but the vehicle is being driven for more miles. The question is which is more likely going to cause a flat: the beating as a result of the old rules and old ways of doing things, or the bigger players and longer seasons?

Young and Elway both ran a lot more then Tom. Montana somewhat more. Marino had a neck injury.

Medicine, work outs, rules all work in TB's favor now. But, he's never recovered from his knee injury 100% IMO.

I expect something like two more elite years, 1 good year, 1-2 injury plagued years, followed by retirement.

The guys you mentionspent a lot more time out of the pocket scrambling. In fact Young was stopped by concussions not a lack of ability to throw. Brady doesn't seem to have suffered many concussions (he says no concussions) Warren Moon was very effective at 40 also.

Brady and Montana....comparable in both the sack numbers and rushing attempts each year. Only difference is Joe gained substantially more yards/carry. Bottom line....similar contact.
Elway averaged about 1 carry more/game than Brady and slightly more sacks.
Marino....cleanest jersey of his era.

My point....Brady takes his shots out there...by guys 30 lbs heavier than of from the era the greats of the 80's.

Check out Steve Young's 2nd to last season....48 sacks, 70 carries for 450 yds.....he abused his body that year and lasted only 3 games his final year. The pounding takes its toll as does Father Time. Here's hoping Bill calls more running plays. Preserving Tom must be a huge consideration

Last edited:
Brady and Montana....comparable in both the sack numbers and rushing attempts each year. Only difference is Joe gained substantially more yards/carry. Bottom line....similar contact.

My point....Brady takes his shots out there...by guys 30 lbs heavier than of from the era the greats of the 80's.

Check out Steve Young's 2nd to last season....48 sacks, 70 carries for 450 yds.....he abused his body that year and lasted only 3 games his final year. The pounding takes its toll as does Father Time. Here's hoping Bill calls more running plays. Preserving Tom must be a huge consideration

I agree with your assessment re: play calling. However, being able to run the ball is as much a function of the talent of the backfield and o-line as it is the defensive situation for New England. If the D continues to be porous, then BB/McD have no choice but to sling it in an effort to outscore the opposition. If the D can improve, that will allow the staff to try to win games 10-3 instead of 45-42.

Healthcare has improved. ACL/MCL injuries that may have ended a career 20 yrs ago are now very fixable.

Strength, conditioning and rehab is much improved.

Protective equipment is better.

Those observations, plus the rule changes, all represent important and valid points.

I think, though, that we will need time to understand how the increase in sheer size and speed on the part of Defensive Players reduces the benefits of these important differences in today's game.

Force equals Mass times Acceleration. The behemoths rushing the Passer are bigger and faster than 20 years ago. The Average Weight of an NFL Player has grown 10 percent since 1985, and it isn't all fat, with many positions growing even more. The Average D-back runs the 40 in 4.56 seconds. Those numbers multiply out to tackling force of almost one ton.

So, yeah, Thank God the equipment is better and the rules protect the QB.

Brady does take hts in the pocket, however during most of the career of the 'other guys' they would have to get out of bounds or take a big hit, Brady usually slides and avoids the hit when he 'runs'.

He also doesn't take the 'late hits' that were legal for most of the time when the 'other guys' played.

One would hope that Brady is Warren Moon in his later years.

Brady does take hts in the pocket, however during most of the career of the 'other guys' they would have to get out of bounds or take a big hit, Brady usually slides and avoids the hit when he 'runs'.

He also doesn't take the 'late hits' that were legal for most of the time when the 'other guys' played.

One would hope that Brady is Warren Moon in his later years.

Moon? If you're looking to pick a positive example of a contemporary QB who played at a high level past 39 you'd better stick to Lord Favregaard, who rocked it at the age of 40 and then retired a year later after a kind of surreal, up and down final season.

Moon started a total of 11 games in his last three years, throwing one TD (total) in his final two seasons. The last season in which he played at a HOF level was 1995, six years before his 2000 final season. He put up two fantastic seasons at ages 38 and 39 (the 1995 season) but didn't rise to that level for his last five years in the League, rarely starting over his last three years.

What I take away from all of this is that it's no accident that the average retirement age of SB-era HOF QB's is 37.5.

It's rare but possible to play at a very high level over the course of a full season at 38 (Elway, Favre, Montana and Moon) and even at 39 (Favre, Moon) and 40 (Favre). But beyond that, it hasn't happened.

Let's take a closer look at the other SB-era,HOF QB's who played until they were 40 or older.

Dawson retired at 40, but started a total of 19 games over his last three years.

Jurgensen retired at 40, but started a total of 13 games over his final four seasons.

Johnny U retired at 40, but started a total of 14 games over his final three seasons.

Moon and Favre were discussed above.

Sure, any of those guys, even for a handful of games in his declining years, is worth a lot more than an average QB.

But, with what we know now about the long term effects of the beating these warriors take week in and out, if I were a friend of a guy contemplating this decision today, I'd have to advise him to think long and hard about his quality of life at the age of 50 and beyond and then weigh that against how greatly he still might want to continue competing.

Last edited:
I hope Brady still has a lot of years left but I doubt he'll continue if for example he's getting beat up bad like Favre in his years in Minnesota. That being said, Brady probably won't go to a team like that in the first place. Oh well, I prefer enjoying the present and not think so much about this.

That's very true. I would just add that only Brady and those closest to him can really know how the three factors truly come into play in his case.

Based on the information we have, it certainly looks like he's a guy who wants to and very well could play into his late 30's or early 40's. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he hung it up sooner.

As embarrassing as the whole Gisele post-SB outburst was, I actually take that as a positive sign in terms of Brady's personal motivations affecting the longevity of his career. Makes me think his wife cares quite a bit about his career and legacy, and she's not going to be a factor in his decision to hang them up. It will at least be football-related, most likely.

Last edited:
As embarrassing as the whole Gisele post-SB outburst was, I actually take that as a positive sign in terms of Brady's personal motivations affecting the longevity of his career. Makes me think his wife cares quite a bit about his career and legacy, and she's not going to be a factor in his decision to hang them up. It will at least be football-related, most likely.

I'm not sure I read much of anything into a "heat of the moment" outburst by a spouse immediately after her husband suffered a major defeat other than that she was concerned about her husband at that moment in time.

"It was what it was." Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I read much of anything into a "heat of the moment" outburst by a spouse immediately after her husband suffered a major defeat other than that she was concerned about her husband at that moment in time.

"It was what it was." Let's leave it at that.

I'll bet lots of spouses here had something equally "emotional" to say as that travesty ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes