Welcome to PatsFans.com

What did the Rams do that gave the 49ers fits this year?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Rams have played well lately but overall they are a very mediocre team

However,They have played the 49ers better than almost all Niners opponents this year and better than any other division opponent from the NFCW and should have beaten them both times.

The Patriots on the other hand blew these same Rams away from the beginning until the end,both offensively and defensively.

Was it just the familiarity of a division opponent?or what did the Rams do special in these games that almost swept the series to what arguably is the best team in the NFC?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -1

I'm sure they're reviewing film of those games moreso than the others. Normally I would chalk it up to division matchup/knowing each other but this being the first year of a new coaching staff in StL I'm not sure how much it applies. Hopefully the answer is "Amendola killed them in the slot" because that plays into our hands with Welker.

3. Big-T

Big-T Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,027 / 15 / -8

#51 Jersey

Danny Amendola.

The 9ers tend to stay in the base 3-4 so a slot receiver with the skills of Amendola & some guy called Wes Welker will cause havoc.

4. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

My guess would be a combination of Amendola and Jackson playing well and perhaps the blocking scheme was good to keep the 49ers fierce pass rush off of Bradford's back.

I just checked the box scores from those games,and it appears that Frank Gore struggled in those games,the Rams defense apparently bottled him up.

I do agree that Belichick will pay close attention to those 2 games to see where the 49ers could be exploited.

5. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,973 / 9 / -6

As far as their offense goes, consider the following:

How the Rams contained Colin Kaepernick - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

St. Louis Rams Stun San Francisco 49ers In Defensive Struggle Ā« CBS San Francisco

I think the trick is first to limit the run. As Mike Lombardi said, the 49ers are a run 1st team, and they use Kaepernick to create the illusion of being a downfield passing team while actually increasing their versatility as a running team. They'll get yards, but don't let them beat you with big running plays and string series of 1st downs together. Second, if you can get pressure while not losing contain. 3rd, guard against the deep pass threat, even if it means giving up stuff underneath. Not easy to do all 3, but it essentially makes them a toothless offense without enough firepower to hurt you. And if they get impatient they'll make mistakes and force turnovers.

On the other side of the ball, every team that has done well against the 49ers has maintained commitment to running the ball and has done so reasonably effectively, even if the YPC wasn't particularly impressive. The Rams did that, particularly in the first game.

6. PP2

PP2 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +729 / 7 / -4

#12 Jersey

IIRC, Bradford was in the shotgun for the majority of his snaps vs. the 49ers and I expect the same from Brady.

7. JMC00

JMC00 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,857 / 27 / -21

Amendola only played in the game that ended in a tie. Although had it not been an illegal formation by a tackle he would have had 170 yards and the Rams would have won

8. JMC00

JMC00 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,857 / 27 / -21

If there is one thing this Pats defense has excelled at, it is not giving up big play runs. Here are all the 15+ yard runs allowed.

15 yards to Ray Rice
    15 yards to Shonn Greene
    15 yards to Arian Foster
    16 yards to Reggie Bush
    17 yards to Patrick Peterson
    18 yards to Vick Ballard (4th quarter Patriots were up 45-17)
    19 yards to Isiah Pead (4th quarter Patriots were up 45-7)
    20 yards to Daryl Richardson (4th quarter Patriots were up 45-7)
    20 yards to Vick Ballard
    20 yards to Delone Carter (last play of the NE/IND game)
    23 yards to Ben Tate (3rd quarter Patriots were up 28-0)

5 of the 11 runs were when the Pats were up big and in that garbage time. (btw i've seen the replays of the Tate run Wilfork was borderline chop blocked. The o-lineman just hits the ground and takes his knees right out)

Patriots held Marshawn Lynch to his lowest rushing total in a game this season. Also the longest run they allowed to Lynch was 7 yards. That is the season low for Lynch as it pertains to his longest run in a game.
    Marshawn Lynch Game By Game Stats and Performance - Seattle Seahawks - ESPN

New England is right now the only team that hasn't given up a run over 23 yards.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.