PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What did people think of Andrew Luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onegameatatime

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I do not want to have to deal with this guy for the next 15 years.

Yes, he made some mistakes (and our D induced some), and some players peak in their 1st or 2nd year. But if this is where he is 1/2 way into his rookie year, there's a lot of upside. Compare Joey Harrington, Eric Couch, David Carr, etc who also went on teams that were in last place for a reason.

That strong throw while being pulled down from behind, and that 2nd TD pass -- wow.

Yes, he made some mistakes (and our D induced some), and some players peak in their 1st or 2nd year. But if this is where he is 1/2 way into his rookie year, there's a lot of upside. Compare Joey Harrington, Eric Couch, David Carr, etc who also went on teams that were in last place for a reason.

That strong throw while being pulled down from behind, and that 2nd TD pass -- wow.
The kids the real deal, He made some incredible throws yesterday. We can only hope he chokes like peyton did in big games, because we're probably going to be playing the colts every year just like when peyton was the qb.

Last edited:

The second TD throw was pretty much perfect; definitely eye-catching. He made a bunch of mistakes yesterday, but that's what you'd expect from a young team that's trying to keep pace with the best offense in the NFL. Definitely the real deal.

It's scary, but I think he'll be a Peyton-Roethlisberger* hybrid, with much more speed than Roethlisberger. He got schooled yesterday, no doubt, and he'll never forget that game. And yeah, that tendency to throw big picks might stick with him.

*On the field, not off.

He seems to be the best QB in this years draft so far, With the rules now a days favoring QBs a lot it is difficult to prove this by using stats, CAM Newton had a record breaking season last year and this year there is talk of running him out of town.Sometimes, numbers do lie, If you go by Mental toughness and Footbal IQ this guy is tops in my book. Colts fans are lucky to go from one gr8 QB to another

He'll be one of -- if not the -- best quarterbacks in the league soon.

He has a very good chance of being a faster, more accurate Ben Roethlisberger, which would be a tremendous player. My only fear for Luck's future is that, starting his career playing for Bruce Arians, he develops sort of a gunslinger mentality and tries to force the issue too much.

Last edited:
Definitely impressed. Despite some glaring mistakes he looked fully in command, and already makes some throws that most NFL qb's can't make.

At the other end of the career spectrum, 34-year-old Reggie Wayne impressed the heck out of me too.

he is young for sure

but he's also the 2nd best QB, by far, the patriots have seen this year

flacco plays with more experience, but luck is more the QB than he could ever hope to be

the kid is legit.....

He looked pretty good and will probably cause lots of problems in the future. Went right down the field twice in the 1st quarter, then started making some mistakes. I couldn't believe the throw he made on 3rd down when he was wrapped up for a sure loss! He'll be trouble for us in the future I'd bet.

I think Indy's commitment to weird/goofy looking QB's is as strong as ever. ;)

He made some very good throws and looks the part.

However I remember when Rick Mirer had a better rookie year than Drew and was called the next Montana.

Before going too far, I'd like to see him next year when the other NFL coaches have had the off season to put together a book on him.

He made some rookie mistakes and some very bad reads/throws (some forced, some not). But that's to be expected. He also made a ton of very good throws and showed a veteran's command of the offense. Give him a couple of more weapons in the passing game and he could be scary.

The kid is the real deal and the Colts were smart to part ways with Manning even though he is "pretty" damn good still. The Colts will be in contention for another ten years. I only wonder what will happen to the Pats when Brady finally hangs 'em up.

Apart from a couple of throws I weren't that impressed at all, RGIII has looked the better QB so far.

The biggest problem I saw with Luck - he was easily spooked, the happy feet were out on display after a couple of hits and when it cut to the sideline he looked beat and like he didn't want to be there.

He made some rookie mistakes and some very bad reads/throws (some forced, some not). But that's to be expected. He also made a ton of very good throws and showed a veteran's command of the offense. Give him a couple of more weapons in the passing game and he could be scary.

Luck showed a lot of moxie and resilience under fire, and kept coming back for more. He made a lot of throws into very tight windows. But it was also predictable that when you make that many tough throws into tight coverage that you're going to toss some interceptions, and I expected him to throw 2-3 INTs based on what I saw early on. It could have been more. With experience he'll learn not to force things so much. No doubt he'll be terrific once he develops and matures, but he's a little over-hyped right now. And I've been a fan of his for years.

He seems to be the best QB in this years draft so far, With the rules now a days favoring QBs a lot it is difficult to prove this by using stats, CAM Newton had a record breaking season last year and this year there is talk of running him out of town.Sometimes, numbers do lie, If you go by Mental toughness and Footbal IQ this guy is tops in my book. Colts fans are lucky to go from one gr8 QB to another

Better than RG 3? the colts have a 2 win advantage over the skins other than that RG 3's been dominating in every other category. Except for 4th qtr comebacks, Luck has 4, RG 3 has 1.

RG3 186cmp, 277att, 67%cmp, 2193YDs, 12TDs, 3INTs, 101.0rtng....Rushing 613YDs, 6TDs

Luck 235cmp, 412att, 57%cmp, 2965YDs, 12TDs, 12INTs, 77.2rtng....Rushing 163YDs, 5TDs

IDK, I'd be curious to hear what some of you guys think, I've only caught a few games of theirs.

Last edited:
Looks like a great find for the Colts. Sure, he made some mistakes, but he's got a real mental toughness about him, accuracy, strength, and definitely wasn't playing scared at the end. Looks legit...unfortunately for us.

Better than RG 3? the colts have a 2 win advantage over the skins other than that RG 3's been dominating in every other category. Except for 4th qtr comebacks, Luck has 4, RG 3 has 1.

RG3 186cmp, 277att, 67%cmp, 2193YDs, 12TDs, 3INTs, 101.0rtng....Rushing 613YDs, 6TDs

Luck 235cmp, 412att, 57%cmp, 2965YDs, 12TDs, 12INTs, 77.2rtng....Rushing 163YDs, 5TDs

IDK, I'd be curious to hear what some of you guys think, I've only caught a few games games of theirs.

I hear you on this one, and it's a valid point. RG3 does look good on paper, but I haven't really seen him play yet. I'm just wondering what his shelf life is going to be as a QB that is so aggressive running it.

I hear you on this one, and it's a valid point. RG3 does look good on paper, but I haven't really seen him play yet. I'm just wondering what his shelf life is going to be as a QB that is so aggressive running it.

Yeah, 613YDs rushing is a bit ridiculous, I thought I miss read the stats, lol. he's an injury/concussion waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes