PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What did Jacobs do to draw the ire of Seau, Bruschi & Wilfork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but it's good to know that if Ray Lewis came up and stuck his fingers into Brady's facemask like Wilfork did, we'd all be defending Lewis and saying he doesn't deserve to be fined. Unless there are double standards at play here.

If it were unprovoked we would all be justifiably upset.
If it were because of something nasty that TB did well.....
we'd still be justifiably upset.
Lewis is a thug and everyone knows that.
But to your intended point, I agree that what VW did was
very borderline.
A fine is appropriate but not a suspension.

If it were unprovoked we would all be justifiably upset.
If it were because of something nasty that TB did well.....
we'd still be justifiably upset.
Lewis is a thug and everyone knows that.
But to your intended point, I agree that what VW did was
very borderline.
A fine is appropriate but not a suspension.
A suspension is out of the question. A fine is reasonable. Even if he didn't mean to injure him, the NFL can't condone intentionally sticking your fingers into someone's facemask, close to their eyes.

And as for justification, we're only speculating, we don't know what the "justification" was. Unless it was also a near-poke, it doesn't justify it enough.

Last edited:
A suspension is out of the question. A fine is reasonable. Even if he didn't mean to injure him, the NFL can't condone intentionally sticking your fingers into someone's facemask, close to their eyes.

And as for justification, we're only speculating, we don't know what the "justification" was. Unless it was also a near-poke, it doesn't justify it enough.

Fair enough.
Justification? Just let karma do it's job.

I remember while watching the game, Bruschi or ? tackled Jacobs a few plays before the incident in question, and when Jacobs was getting up, he threw his elbow back into the players head. I dont remember who it was, but when Wilfork did what he did, I assumed it was because of that incident.

I was thinking he's lucky. I'd take an eye poke any day in comparison to a Mankins Nut hammer. :eek:

I think that's exactly what happened. It was a play or two before the fingerpoke that Jacob's wheeled around and tossed an elbow at a Pats defender's head after a running play. I remember specifically saying to myself: "Lucky that didn't connect..."

I was pretty disapointed in Wilfork for doing that. As a Patriot fan, I want to believe that Wilfork isn't a dirty player, but he's lost the benefit of the doubt. You don't put your fingers into another guy's facemask unless you are trying to poke his eyes.

All of these opinions in this thread matter not

There is only one opinion that matters.

Does anyone not think that BB made it very clear to Vince that what he did was WRONG. And does anyone not think that he will bring it up again specifically to Vince and generally to the whole team in the next two weeks.

He had to "bench" Rodney for less. It got out of hand. But it won't again in the playoffs

If you replay the play it appears that Jacobs spit in someones face.

For the sake of this thread, I went back and viewed my VHS copy of the game. Nothing there that would explain it. My sense at the time is that things were heating up (after all the Giants made Wilfork and co. look pretty lame in the first half) and I think things were getting hot.

In an event, it was a great no-call on the official's parts. You have to expect things to heat up in a game like this. I also think that Wilfork 'pulled his poke" and should be warned by the League, but not fined (faking ain't doing). :cool:

I believe you can get arrested for pulling your poke in public.

Vince, just do it at the bottom of the pile buddy... No one will ever catch you.

I used to twist ankles, poke eyes, punch guys in the nuts, etc when I played in high school... Anything to gain an advantage.

I agree that it was stupid and he'll probably get fined for it, but he didn't exactly put a lot of steam behind that poke, I really don't think he was trying to hurt him and make it so "he can no longer make a living". He put his finger there and kind of wiggled it, he didn't JAM it in trying to poke his eye out.

Again, he will probably be fined, justifiably so, since you can't be doing crap like that.

Wilfork didn't try to cause injury. If he had been, his hand would have moved a LOT faster.

However, he was reckless about risking injury to Jacobs. Had somebody given Jacobs a shove in the back at just that moment, things could have been ugly.

I hope he gets suspended. I would LOL so hard.

And I bet Taylor/MJD are going to be happy too if it happens.

You would "LOL so hard"? What are you, 8?

Anyway, he was fined, no suspension coming.

I hope he gets suspended. I would LOL so hard.

And I bet Taylor/MJD are going to be happy too if it happens.

And I'll "LOL so hard" when your mommy catches you in the bathroom with the Sears catalog.
:eek:

The issue isn't intent to injure, it's stupidity. with a trigger happy commissioner, Vince took a real chance of being suspended for a playoff game.

That's unacceptable. Vince, Rodney, Maroney and anyone else need a talking to about keeping your cool. I believe the pressure of the unbeaten season got to them, but there's no room for that crap in the playoffs.

Are you telling me Vince couldn't send a much more powerful message to a running back, devastatingly and legally?

:rolleyes: Whatever...save the self-righteous crap for something other than sports, please. Have you even played sports in your life? It's pretty easy to be so moral from your couch.

I played sports and gave out my share of dirty hits. If YOU played football, you know it's extremely emotional and refraining from scrappiness is virtually impossible. I've hit guys out of bounds, punched them in the stomach, had my ankle rolled on and fractured...it's all just part of the game like it or not.

I played sports and gave out my share of dirty hits. If YOU played football, you know it's extremely emotional and refraining from scrappiness is virtually impossible. I've hit guys out of bounds, punched them in the stomach, had my ankle rolled on and fractured...it's all just part of the game like it or not.

And you were playing nice......people should only know what really goes on at the bottom of those piles. It really can be as bad as you may have heard.

A guy I work with had his coach in school tell him to break an opposing team members arm. I asked him what he did and he said "I broke his arm."

Nothing that Jacobs could have done justifies what Wilfork did. If you defend stupidity you lose all credibility even when you are right.

I don't think the poke is being defended inasmuch as it is being questioned as to WHY it occurred...WHAT instigated it, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back