Welcome to PatsFans.com

What constitutes a Democrat

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Oct 31, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

There has always been a lot of stereotyping on this board,one of which is that Democrat = liberal. So much so that they have been intertwined as meaning the same thing. I once asked "Whats a Liberal" now I'm asking how people would define the term Democrat. Because its not just here that there is misconception there is a misconception out in the real world also.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

I think the common denominator for just about all Democrats is a belief that government can play an important role in improving the quality of our lives and solving the nation's problem. I also think most Democrats see government as a counterbalance to big business. Republicans, on the other hand, see government as an obstacles to our quality of life, a contributor to the nation's problems, and often an enemy of the entrepreneurial spirit.

I think it can be summed up this way: Democrats believe "we're all in this together," and Republicans believe "it's every man for himself."
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Theres no one answer for that as there is no one answer to define a Republican. Its kind of like denominations of the church.

There are two parties. People take a look at a whole set of issues decide which group is closer to their views on the most issues.

For me, I grew up in a Democrat family. We believed that government doesnt solve all problems, but that there is a necessary to have a one.
    Without the Federal Government, each state can do whatever it wants, like make slavery legal, for instance.

The Democratic party stood for fairness, civil rights, caring about the poor. When I was growing up the models were FDR, Truman, and John and Robert Kennedy.

They were men who werent afraid of invoking God into the conversation.

In some ways, I think we have 5 or 6 political parties in this country and half reside amongst the Dems and the other half with the GOP.

the media, both liberal and conservative, tend to paint the other with an extreme brush. Palin and McCain definately represent 2 different kind of Republicans and unfortunately McCain gave way to the Palin ( Bob Roberts) crowd.

Bill Clinton, Harold Ford, Jim Webb, Bob Casey, are more centrist Democrats in nature i think. Hillary Clinton, who is much more liberal than her husband, Ted Kennedy, Jesse Jackson, Barney and Nancy, these people are on the left.

I still the verdict is out on Obama. I think he voted and presented himself as more liberal than he really is in order get to this point. I know this goes against all the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the right but from what ive seen and heard from him and his temperment, i think that ties into his coolness, his calm, what we read about his tempering down the expectations, his education, his relaiance lately on advice from Bill Clinton.

I think we are going to hear lots of complaints from the left that Obama isnt being "liberal enough". Hes smart enough to learn from Clintons mistakes of 1993 and 1994. He wont let Pelosi and FRank and Reid run amok on him.

anyway, got off on a tangent, but its just my hunch.