PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Chargers fans are saying about Turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
They are absolutely going BANANAS on their message board-to the point where they've retooled their forum where we have to "type in a new password to post".:rocker:

So, is this a team that can get to the SB next year no matter who is coaching it (reminiscent of the 2002 Buccaneers under Jon Gruden, who's gone 27--37 since; reminiscent also of Jerry Jones' famous comment that there were a couple of hundred guys who could take his 'boys back to the SB after Jimmy Johnson left, including Barry Switzer who did exactly that two years later and then went 16--16 and flamed out), or will it collapse from the turnover in every coaching position?

My intuition is that there will be a gradual collapse. Too much coaching turnover, and Turner is a good OC but not a good HC. Wade Phillips would have been a better choice as a third timer and they let him walk. Better record. They can try to hang that on Shottenhimer but both Smith and Spanos should have known what was going on.

They are absolutely going BANANAS on their message board-to the point where they've retooled their forum where we have to "type in a new password to post".:rocker:

They are actually EXCITED about having to install a brand new offensive and defensive scheme after going 14-2 and losing all their assistants?

I can see being happy about losing a "playoff caliber" coach like Marty but the time to have done that was 4 weeks ago, when one could have promoted from within and kept the same system in place that was an unqualified success.

IMO you have a bunch of loose cannons out there, and Marty did not keep them in check well. Norv never seemed like a strict disciplinarian, so Merriman and crew might have a field day with him if there are a few bumps in the road. I do not see a rosy future for that franchise, lots of talent, but not lots of leadership.

I knew that they were going to hire Turner... for some reason.

I dunno if it is the best choice though..

They are actually EXCITED about having to install a brand new offensive and defensive scheme after going 14-2 and losing all their assistants?

I can see being happy about losing a "playoff caliber" coach like Marty but the time to have done that was 4 weeks ago, when one could have promoted from within and kept the same system in place that was an unqualified success.

Just the opposite from what I have read here and at other pats boards lately. They are calling him :Turdsner", etc....

Actually, our forum was "re-tooled" weeks ago, before the ProBowl. But yes, there's alot of debate going on. Frankly, I needed a break from it and came to visit y'all.

We'll be keeping the exact same offensive scheme and will continue to run a
3-4 defense. Not really sure where you're getting your info, but the whole motivation for picking Turner was continuity. There will be little disruption.

:rofl: They were a crazed group all along-I can imagine what they're like now:rocker:

3-4 defense. Not really sure where you're getting your info, but the whole motivation for picking Turner was continuity. There will be little disruption.

In other words they hired a stop-gap yes man who knew it was his only shot at a job. Sure AJ, whatever you say AJ.

I dont know how changing an entire staff creates continuity. It is much more common than rare that when a successful team changes coaches it brings in guys with similar offensive and/or defensive philosophies. It is far from common that it works.

Personally, I think the Chargers have gone a long way toward dooming their immediate future. I don't know if its possible to assemble a team that Norv Turner can win with. Even for all of the credit he gets as an 'offensive mind' I see little success outside of having Aikman, smith, Irvin, Novachek and possilby the best OL in NFL history.
Maybe someone can fill me in on where all of that success he had was? Washington? Oakland? Miami? San Fran? I see nothing better than mediocrity and at times worse outside of his one run in Dallas where the talent made his job easy.

As far as Ted Cotrell, I am not impressed. He was fired from the Jets, and what has he done since? His only success was coaching under the DC he just replaced, so at best its a pretty big step down.

Oh, you'll get your continuity all right.

Continuing to underachieve.

I'm not exactly sure how bringing back an assistant coach from 2001 in the year 2007 and the word "continuity" belong in the same sentence - but whatever the fans want to think is fine by me.

Clearly he's the best choice now, even though the Chargers declined to hire him as HC after that 2001 season.

The important thing is that Turner has a much better regular season record than Marty.

Oh wait, I'm sorry - he doesn't - not even close.

Not a problem, the really important thing is he's got a better PLAYOFF record than Marty.

(the sound we're waiting for is the sound of the other shoe dropping in San Diego as soon as reality sets in!)

I dont know how changing an entire staff creates continuity. It is much more common than rare that when a successful team changes coaches it brings in guys with similar offensive and/or defensive philosophies. It is far from common that it works.

Personally, I think the Chargers have gone a long way toward dooming their immediate future. I don't know if its possible to assemble a team that Norv Turner can win with. Even for all of the credit he gets as an 'offensive mind' I see little success outside of having Aikman, smith, Irvin, Novachek and possilby the best OL in NFL history.
Maybe someone can fill me in on where all of that success he had was? Washington? Oakland? Miami? San Fran? I see nothing better than mediocrity and at times worse outside of his one run in Dallas where the talent made his job easy.

As far as Ted Cotrell, I am not impressed. He was fired from the Jets, and what has he done since? His only success was coaching under the DC he just replaced, so at best its a pretty big step down.

The goal was not to hire an entire new staff for the sake of continuity. I think you're misunderstanding the statement. Given the situation, Turner was hired for continuity. What was done, was done. And if you think Ted Cotrell hasnt "done" anything, that makes me question your knowledge of the man or the game in general. I'm not here to say Turner was the hire of the century (in fact, he wouldnt be my pick), but he will be calling the plays, Cotrell running our D and Rivera also on D, as LB coach.

They don't have to install brand new schemes. Norv Turner taught Cam Cameron the offensive scheme, and Teddy C. coached under Bum Phillips on D. They're essentially the same schemes. That's part of why the guys were hired. Continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes