PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What can we do at LT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the OP's original questions...

No. Light isn't coming back. He's firmly retired for medical as well as other reasons (the game was a means to an end) and he has stopped working out as a T in case you hadn't noticed on Sportscenter.

And patience. Vollmer and Mankins are coming back as we speak and unless Waters doesn't show by the end of the week, Dante should be able to cobble together a decent OL that will get better with consisteny and stability from a starting 5. Unison and playing time together is a big part of every OL's success or lack thereof.

Left tackle?

Left tackle?

Have you seen our right tackle?

rvlvd5.jpg49c9c5f1-9e69-4be5-a14d-1b826a9fbe01Larger.jpg

Based on the first 2 preseason games Soldier doesn't seem like he is prepared to be a starting left tackle in the NFL. I still believe he will be a good one but I think he needs more seasoning.

So I have 2 questions for you all,

1. Do you think there is any chance we could lure Matt Light out of retirement? I know we have the cap space to give him a big 1yrct, but is he even close to the same size he was as a player?

2. If Vollmer is healthy and that is a big if but lets say for this question he is going to be 90-100% by week one does it make sense to use him at LT and move Soldier to RT?

You have too much idle time on your hands ... Solder will be more than fine this year.

I think we are doomed, he was obviously faking it during all of last season! Now that the true test, that of awesome preseason football is here, he has been exposed as the big faker he is. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone feels as though last year was a fluke, Patstopia. They are just pointing out the differences in being a RT and LT. To me it doesn't look like Solder has his LT wits about him just yet, but we all know his obvious potential.

Whether or not Belichick feels he can use more reps to work it out, or he decides to give Vollmer some looks at LT remains to be seen, but I'm guessing Solder stays where he is.

The offense has been playing at between 20 and 30 percent of its capability this preseason. So, while Solder hasn't been great, the addition of actual talent around him will make a big difference. On the offensive line, obviously there have been lots of second-stringers, and last night, they were matched up against one of the best first-team pass rushers in the NFL. So, blocking schemes can account for weaknesses when you actually have other capable guys on the line. In addition, as there are better skill players (and quarterback), you'll the defense take fewer chances, as they can't afford to leave guys like Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, or Lloyd with easy to beat coverage.

That is why the Jets should be more concerned about Hunter. The Jets are unable to make teams pay for blitzing or overloading the right side of the line, as they have a dumb QB who can't read coverages and very little talent to counteract the defense's philosophy.

I think Solder will be a very solid left tackle by the end of the year. He has all of the physical tools, and it's obvious the coaching staff believes he is the answer. Otherwise, you would have seen a high draft pick this year at the position this year, or a veteran free agent- and I don't mean Robert Gallery- I mean a guy who can consistently protect the QB.

Solder's got technique issues. That can be fixed. He seems to have core strength issues, too. That would be more of a long-term problem. Hopefully, the technique issues have been leading to the strength issues and they aren't separate, as I fear they are.

Solder will work out to be at the worst serviceable. Cannon looks down right awful. His many times can you let a de go untouched? He needs to be kicked inside before he gets someone killed. To make it worse, he looms like his performances are getting to his head. Hopefully Vollmer is back out next game, and cannon gets a chance to maul some dudes from the guard spot. Macdonald looked awful as well last night.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Macdonald looked awful as well last night.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone else verify this opinion on McDonald looking awful?

I didn't get a chance to rewatch any replays etc, but I'm not sure that I noticed this myself.

It was Wendell who I didn't think looked too hot personally.

Last edited:
Based on the first 2 preseason games Soldier doesn't seem like he is prepared to be a starting left tackle in the NFL. I still believe he will be a good one but I think he needs more seasoning.

1. Do you think there is any chance we could lure Matt Light out of retirement? I know we have the cap space to give him a big 1yrct, but is he even close to the same size he was as a player?

2. If Vollmer is healthy and that is a big if but lets say for this question he is going to be 90-100% by week one does it make sense to use him at LT and move Soldier to RT?

Why do you want to do anything? Surrendering 3 sacks in two games, by the whole line, when one of them was to a blitzing LB who simply overpowered a blitz pickup RB, is hardly disasterous. That projects to 24 sacks per season, and a near league leading figure for an O-line in pass protection.

Last edited:

Lately,I feel like I'm stuck in a loop watching David Cronenberg's "Scanners"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Scanners.jpg/220px-Scanners.jpg:scared:

What can we do at LT?

Wait ten years and then draft a replacement.

Brilliant. And Bob Kraft can go to the town fathers in Foxboro and get a permit for a cemetery where we can gather to bury all the dead quarterbacks who get killed between now and the second coming of Matt Light.

Can anyone else verify this opinion on McDonald looking awful?

I didn't get a chance to rewatch any replays etc, but I'm not sure that I noticed this myself.

It was Wendell who I didn't think looked too hot personally.

Mac was at lg on the overturned pic if memory serves. Got beaten like the red headed stepchild. Mallet stepped up and rushed to unleash one. Thought there were a few others, along with no push in the run game. I'll pay a bit more attention to him when I watch the game with my better half in a few hours...so more likely after she goes to bed:D

Mac was at lg on the overturned pic if memory serves. Got beaten like the red headed stepchild. Mallet stepped up and rushed to unleash one. Thought there were a few others, along with no push in the run game. I'll pay a bit more attention to him when I watch the game with my better half in a few hours...so more likely after she goes to bed:D

Good stuff buddy.

If you don't mind, let us know how bad it appeared on the second look. Most of us are excited at McDonald's potential and versatility, although he certainly isn't going to look good all the time either.

I'd be interested in seeing Wendell again too. I really should've DVR'd the game myself, that was a mistake on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back