PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Branch is looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I didn't realize the sides were this far apart.

I was thinking he's be back soon, but now I don't know.

<Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses. There's also been talk that he wants a contract similar to the six-year, $39 million deal (including a $13.5 million bonus) the Colts' Reggie Wayne received this year just before he was to become a free agent.>

:rofl: :rofl: That guy hasn't put up the numbers of a #1 WR and he wants that kind of money? I'm done with him, somebody show him the door please.

Here's the nuts and bolts: The Patriots offer is a 3-year extension, Branch wants to rip up the old contract and get a new 4-year deal. The money paid for 2007, 2008, and 2009 is a mice nuts issue. The money paid for 2006 is the hangup.

huskeralk said:
:rofl: :rofl: That guy hasn't put up the numbers of a #1 WR and he wants that kind of money? I'm done with him, somebody show him the door please.

I would like someone to show him reason. It sounds to me as if his agent has a personal grudge against the Patriots and he's convinced his client to start down a slippery slope. I hope Branch realizes it before it is too late for this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the entire piece on Branch from Michael Smith on ESPN.COM:

As for Branch, to update: The Patriots reportedly have offered their leading receiver (in two of the past three seasons) a three-year extension, through 2009, worth $19 million that includes $8 million in bonuses. Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, hasn't so much as countered that offer. Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses. There's also been talk that he wants a contract similar to the six-year, $39 million deal (including a $13.5 million bonus) the Colts' Reggie Wayne received this year just before he was to become a free agent.

There was talk last week that the Patriots might have increased their offer to four years, $24 million, with $10 million in bonuses, but both Chayut and a high-ranking team official said that was not the case. Fact is the sides aren't even negotiating; Chayut says he and the Patriots haven't talked since before camp.

Chayut has said that Branch would report if the team would promise not to use the franchise designation after the season. Short of such an agreement, the signs point to Branch, who can be fined up to $14,000 a day, sitting out well into the season.

Of course, Branch has outperformed his contract. He deserves to be fairly compensated for catching 21 passes in two Super Bowls (he was the MVP of XXXIX) and averaging 20 yards on 41 career postseason receptions. His value to the team is far greater than the $1.045 million he is to make this season, the last of his rookie contract.

But the Patriots aren't about to give in to Branch's demands. Before they do, they'll bring Jerry Rice out of retirement as they did with Junior Seau. They won't panic because their QB is money, especially with a running game he can count on.

Sure, New England's offense will miss a beat. Branch is by far the Patriots' best receiver. But Brady and his band will play on. And play well.

That's an easy question: Respect. See Pedro Martinez for the definition.

let him sit until week 10.... then he plays the rest of this year for free (due to accrued fines)... then franchise him for next year (less than the pats have offered, plus NO BONUS) ... doesnt sound that good for branch does it?

i dont believe branch will do that... he hasnt had that BIG money contract yet; can he afford to lose 2 years off his career for what, $6M (with him taking full risk of injury for 2 years)?

huskeralk said:

Sometimes it's not about the numbers. Seymour hardly has top DT/DE stats, but his talent is compensated according to his actual talent.

Well it sucks that they sides haven't talked since before camp.

I'm just counting him as no longer a member of team.

To bad he wasn't a man of his word!

Oh well, the games go on!

NEM said:
I disagree.... yo cant compare himto Wayne because Wayne is part of a threesome, with a quarterback who throws throws throws, while Branch fill a position on a team that spreads it out more and uses a much more diversified type of offense (not that I agree with it, but thats how it is)

He has proven that he can be a majaor contributor if called upon for a more expanded role....

PAY HIM THE MONEY...THE TEAM HAS IT...PAY HIM AND LETS MOVE ON....
Why should they?

i could be and i will be wrong but i start to think the Pats are really taking this matter probably ready for everything; it means that probably Branch has not the power he and his agent thought to have

Hate to say it but I think Branch is done in New England. Pats officials are not going to tolerate tantrums like Branch is exhibiting right now. If I were a player on the team and didn't see him until week 10, I would lose a lot of respect for him and think of him as good as gone in my book. I wouldn't want him on my team. Hope I'm wrong and he returns though.

NEM said:
PAY HIM THE MONEY...THE TEAM HAS IT...PAY HIM AND LETS MOVE ON....
As Michael Corleone said to Senator Geary " Senator you can have my offer now. My offer is this ........Nothing" Branch needs to get his arse in camp and honor his contract. If Branch has ridiculous demands than BB will never Bend. Ask Adam V

You can't pay them all top dollar and the coach has done ok so far. Deion is really good but he isn't jerry rice and he isn't always healthy. We won with Brown and Patten and we'll win with Brown, Caldwell, Jackson, Childress and whoever. We saw last year he can be taken out of games by a good double team.

He's not a difference maker in the Seymour Brady mold.

Put Vrabel in the slot (sic)

Forget him. We have the money to sign him but he went about this the wrong way. He should have just went out there and played hard and try to prove that he is worth the ridiculous money he is now demanding. He isn't accomplishing anything but alienating his teammates and the front office. If I were Belichick and Pioli I would take some of that money we have left over and make a trade for Porter or hell, I might even bring in Lelie...and give them #83 for icing on the cake. There will be some servicable vets that are bound to get released that will be able to flourish in this system that we can bring in as well. Let Branch rot on the bench until week 10 then when he says he's ready to play, make him practice that week and put him on IR just before the game. Then to top things off, franchise his ***** and trade him to the 49ers. God I'm an evil bastard. :rocker:

Whatever, the train is rolling with or without him. We're moving the ball and scoring fine without him, I won't be concerned until that changes.

Regarding his demands, he should get less than other FA simply because he's getting it a year early. Regardless of comparing their ability, Wayne was a UFA. Branch isn't. He would have a stronger case this time next year if he were franchised.

Two words for Branch : F*&* YOU.

BelichickFan said:
Whatever, the train is rolling with or without him. We're moving the ball and scoring fine without him, I won't be concerned until that changes.

Regarding his demands, he should get less than other FA simply because he's getting it a year early. Regardless of comparing their ability, Wayne was a UFA. Branch isn't. He would have a stronger case this time next year if he were franchised.

Two words for Branch : F*&* YOU.

How long was Wayne's rookie contract? Was it 5 years?

Cause if it was, then Branch truly has no beef!

BelichickFan said:
I'm a firm believer in Deion's right to do this, but I agree with this point about his demands. He's sort of asking to have it both ways. He's asking for an extension of his contract to take care of his FA years and comparing his deal to free agents' deals, but then he's also basing his view of the value of the contract by including this year.

sarge said:
How long was Wayne's rookie contract? Was it 5 years?

Cause if it was, then Branch truly has no beef!
Yeah, it must have been because he was drafted in 2001 and his contract expired last year. So he played 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 under that contract and that's 5 years.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, it must have been because he was drafted in 2001 and his contract expired last year. So he played 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 under that contract and that's 5 years.

So then WTF is his issue? Wayne played out his 5 year deal.

He wants Wayne money but hasn't put up the numbers or the time that wayne has.

He compares his situation with Wayne, yet when Wayne was in his situation, he played out the 5th year of his rookie contract.

So I guess the Pats really aren't the only team to do 5 year contracts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey