Welcome to PatsFans.com

What bothers me: We dominated for 3 quarters

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by QB12, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QB12

QB12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

And then in the 4th we wilted, on both sides of the ball. Why?

QB12
  2. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

You're not alone. We are all wondering this.

Colts made all the plays, we didn't.
  3. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

We adjusted. For the worse.

Lost aggression on both sides of the ball.
  4. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The greatest irony of the game is how conservative and non-aggressive the team got on both sides of the ball in the fourth, then BB allows the game to be decided on the most aggressive, non-conservative play call in team history.
  5. makoute

makoute Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That always seem to happen against the Colts, just seems like in previous years we were still able to pull the wins out.
  6. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So lets see:
    We dominated for 2 quarters @ Denver.
    We dominated for 3 quarters @ Indy.

Does this mean we dominate for 4 quarters @ NO!? :singing:
  7. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

What hurts most about this loss is that the Pats are now 1-5 against the Colts since 2005, have now lost to 3 AFC opponents, are now 4 games behind the Colts for a chance at the #1 seed, 2 games behind the Bengals for the #2 seed and currently lose a tie breaking scenario with the Broncos for the #3 seed.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. PatsSox363804

PatsSox363804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The fact that we keep making the same mistakes against Indy is troubling. There have been a few games we easily could have lost, the 03 game with the goal line stand, the 04 game where Vanderjagdt missed the kick, we probably lose the 03 playoff game with the rules in place today, it's annoying. Really though it's not just Indy, this soft defense with a 4th quarter lead crap needs to stop, I know we were winning Superbowls we never really killed any teams but we now have the offensive weapons to do so, and the defense should not let up in the 4th quarter.
  9. crypto

crypto Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We dominated for 50 or 55 minutes if you ask me. Take away that bogus PI call and you most likely have a crystal-clear 34–21 or 34–24 victory.

That said, Pees once again did his best to destroy his own defense's chances at winning the game. The pattern's rather obvious. In the fourth quarter, the secondary starts to play farther off the receivers. The defense kicks ass through three and a half quarters, and so Pees pulls this crap AGAIN? He did it with the Ravens. We got out of that one by the skin of our teeth. He did it with the Broncos. We did not get out of that one by the skin of our teeth. And now he does it with the Colts. I swear, Dean Pees is a f*cking saboteur. His philosophy was far more devastating than Belichick's 4th down call.
  10. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1. If BB doesn't like it he can and will and does tell Pees to make a change.
    2. When your pass rush is gone because of injuries and exhaustion, you're pretty much screwed against Manning no matter what you do. Play the receivers tight and you'll get a double move like the Garcon TD. Play them loose and you'll get dinked and dunked to death. PLEASE STOP BLAMING COACHES FOR PERSONNEL WEAKNESSES.
  11. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The Colts had two touchdown drives because of bogus PI calls that resulted in 14 points that took a total of 4 minutes combined. In addition, that 2-4-5 is only asking for teams to gash you with the ground game. In fact, they made the Colts look like they suddenly had a good ground game. I seriously hope that nonsense stops when Warren and Green are back healthy. With that said, the stupid Brady throw and Maroney fumble, really killed them.
  12. crypto

crypto Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He shouldn't have liked it after the Ravens game, the Broncos game, and probably after some other games I can't remember. That's just this season. I don't see it happening.

I'm not attacking his judgment. I'm attacking Pees' full-blown idiocy. Strategically, whoever is making the calls for the defense is quite literally learning disabled. He does not learn from his mistakes.

Don't pull that crap. Those "PERSONNEL WEAKNESSES" held up just fine for 50–55 minutes. There was a distinct change in philosophy with regard to the secondary (and the nonexistence of a run game didn't help).
  13. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Prevent defense is the best way to make every NFL qb look like a hall of famer.
  14. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then BB is learning disabled, because he has full veto power and is not afraid to use it. Do you really think he lets some Kent State coach freelance when he thinks there's a better way? You're delusional.

Yeah, that's something that happens with exhaustion. You're not exhausted....and then you are. It looked like our pass rush really hit the wall in the 4th quarter. I've already given you one example (the Garcon TD) of where they were playing tight and got burned. Pick your poison, buddy. Fact is, with no rushers, you can't stop a hot Manning.
  15. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

screw the bye...it doesnt mean anything anymore, we need to focus on winning the division, that means we have to win the next 3 divisional games, and well be pretty much set

then we're in the PO, already better than last year, and then its go time from there.....i dont care where we have to go, but i dont mind having to leave gillete to play a good team....hopefully by that time were on a roll
  16. wilfork is beastin'

wilfork is beastin' Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the way the game turned out i think I now know how Bills fans felt after the monday night game, and the monday night game from last year...and the monday night game from 07...
  17. crypto

crypto Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bleh. I don't think exhaustion accounts for that lazy of a coverage scheme.

That comment was facetious. Retrospectively it looks more serious than I intended, doesn't it?
  18. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know. Are you saying BB is an idiot? Because when you criticize the defensive schemes, that's what you are saying.
  19. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

3 quarters? We were the team for 55 minutes. We wilted in a 5 minute stretch at the end of the game.
  20. TennesseePatriot

TennesseePatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly. I stated in a different thread my belief that the conditioning of our Defense was not sufficient. We looked completely out of gas in the 4th quarter IMO. It was honestly depressing to watch the 4th Quarter defense. Manning was able to sling the ball around at will. My hope is we get another shot at the Colts in the Playoffs and that we FINISH.
  21. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

When the Pats scored early in the 4th to make it 31-14, BB likely figured the Colts need 3 scores in less than a quarter, so playing some soft D may give up the yards, but it will also keep the clock going as the Pats weren't going to let any quick scores over the top. Inbetween Colts drives, the Pats would kill several minutes off the clock as evidenced by their last length-of-the field and clock-consuming drive in the 3rd quarter (despite Maroney capping it with a fumble). Therefore, the Colts wouldn't have the time needed to score 3 times. Game...set...match, right?

Whoops!

Regards,
    Chris
  22. Bledsoe11

Bledsoe11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What last night did was convince me once and for all who the better team and better QB for this decade is. It shames me to say this, but there is no disputing anymore who the best QB of his generation is, and it is, indeed, Mr.Peyton. On the last possession of the 4th quarter, all Brady and the offense had to do, was gain 10 yards on 4 plays. Peyton had to gain 30 yards and get into the endzone. I think that was the basis of Belichick's decision: which hall-of-fame QB will make the plays to win the game. Peyton succeeded where Brady had failed. Even the most hardcore Brady homer has to give Peyton his due.
  23. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's not solely on Pees though. BB makes the final call and if he thinks Pees is calling dumb plays, BB would step in. The fact that BB approved what Pees was calling confirms that that's what he probably wanted our defense to do.
  24. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I don't know about better team for this decade because we do still have the most SB wins, but the better QB argument has definitely tilted to Manning's way.

If you were to ask me 5 years ago who I wanted as a QB with 2 minutes left and we needed a TD, I would have said Brady all day. Now though, only the biggest homers would pick Brady.
  25. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I agree. Some more aggressive play calling earlier in the quarter would make this all moot.

What is really annoying is how effective we were, and why would we get away from it when we're doing so well?

Kudos to the Colts for not quitting, but I think our biggest enemy moving forward is ourself. If we can learn to not relent, we will beat anyone. And if we don't, it's going to be a short season.
  26. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This Manning however... is not present in the playoffs. Why?
  27. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I think we can beat any other team besides the Colts. Hopefully, some other team takes them out in the playoffs because I cannot see our team going into Indy and winning a playoff game. No way.
  28. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Bingo.

What bothers me is that we haven't learned from the past.

We were predictable on offense and passive on defense against the Jets and lost 16-9 after leading 9-7 at the half, scoring 0 2nd half points.

We were predictable on offense and passive on defense against the Broncos and lost 20-17 after leading 17-7 at the half, scoring 0 2nd half points.

We had the Ravens down 17-7 at the half and let them back in the game with critical turnovers, and were lucky to get a win.

We had the Dolphins down and didn't put them away, and let them come back to take the lead 17-16 before finally putting them away.

We dominated the Colts for almost 50 minutes by being aggressive on defense and mixing it up on offense, and then got conservative on both sides of the ball and threw the game away. We turned the ball over twice on scoring drives in the 3rd quarter, coming away with 0 points. And we got passive when in the red zone in the 4th quarter and only got 3 points.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

When this team plays aggressively on both sides of the ball, and uses play action mixed with a balanced running attack, we are the best team in football. No one can hang with us, not Indy, not NO. When we get passive and predictable we fool no one and aren't good enough on either side of the ball to beat the good teams.

It's really up to the coaching staff to take the brakes off and keep them off. We're only holding ourselves back.

As far as I'm concerned, poor coaching has been a major factor in all 3 losses this year. We could easily be 9-0 if we didn't stop ourselves.
  29. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fortunately, this is all correctable.

A question for you Mayo

Do you think BB punts if Warren, TBC, and Green are playing?

Is the game close is we have our compliment of non IR players?
  30. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I can, they don't play way this in the post season.......... or they'd have about 4 rings now.

Bottom line. We played 3 quarters of great ball, then went into........ "soft, keep the ball in front of you" prevent DEFENSE and OFFENSE. Then, we "try" to GO FOR THE WIN on 4th and 2.

Personally, I knew after the BS DPI call that it wasn't gonna end well for us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.