Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Book Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

We haven't had a books thread on the board since our friends from the Eagles paid us a visit before SB XXXIX. One reason I haven't started one before is that I haven't been reading for pleasure for months.

But yesterday I started reading Among the Thugs, by Bill Buford. This is an old book, published in 1990, but I saw it quite prominently displayed in a bookstore here in Cambridge. Buford (an American who lived in England for a long time and now writes for the New Yorker) spent time among English football hooligans and this book is the product.

I can't recommend it enough -- it's beautifully written and asks all the right questions. The people depicted in it don't just make me ashamed to belong to the same nation -- they make me ashamed to belong to the same species.

2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +111 / 2 / -3

"Hunters of Dune" - anyone who has read the Dune books by Frank Herbert knows that its one of the best SciFi series ever - Herbert was truly a philosopher and visionary and created a wonderful original and compelling story that continued for 6 novels. (George Lucas largely ripped off Dune to create Star Wars for example)

Unfortunately his death in 1986 left the series somewhat unfinished. His son picked up the mantle, claims to be basing the continued prequels and now sequels on his father's notes that he's found... the results, while still entertaining, are somewhat disappointing.

They don't live up to what his father created - which shouldn't be surprising - however, they are entertaining to read so I shouldn't complain too much.

3. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am still reading Moving the Chains. Unfortunately, I just do not much time to read anymore. I have a stack of books waiting for my attention.

Moving the Chains is just okay. I did enjoy the chapters on Tom's experiences at Michigan.

4. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Got U2 by U2 from my niece......I think it'll collect dust more than anything.

The first of the year I always re-read all books by J.D. Salinger starting with 'The Catcher in the Rye' then I go to Joyce's 'The Dubliners' and 'Ulysses' and finish with Raymond Chandler.

5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 2 / -1

Disable Jersey

I've just read Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke.

I think that Philip Pullman is just fantastic. I read his famous trilogy His Dark Materials a few years ago with enormous admiration. It's a "children's book" but only in the sense that the hero and heroine are both children -- the ambition and imagination, the quality of the writing and, above all, the very challenging issues dealt with are fully "adult".

This is a melodrama set in Victorian London. It's immense fun -- it deliberately plays with lots of cliches of Victorian adventure stories (particularly Conan Doyle and Wilkie Collins) but it feels very uncliched. I was reading it with the idea of giving it to my daughter, but I think that she is still a bit young for it. Ten years and up, I'd guess.

6. Digger44

Digger44 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science

I am about half way through and there are some pretty interesting theories. A lot of it will make you scratch you head and wonder if it is real.

7. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The Ruby in the Smoke has been dramatised by the BBC is being aired this evening; so if you have a friend at home with a recordable DVD, Mike, now is the time to get in touch.

I am reading "The Heart of a Goof", a collection of golfing short stories by PG Wodehouse. Very witty, very elegantly written. After reading the first couple I wondered exactly how Wodehouse could sustain the interest over nine stories, but he applies the lessons and tribulations of golf and their impact on the human character with great imagination, and no little accuracy. Top hole.

8. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

That's interesting...I don't have the self-discipline for the game of golf so I have a hard time imagining my efforts with stories about the game of golf.

9. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm still plodding through "The Five Families" by Selwyn Raab. I love reading Mario Puzo fiction, so I thought I'd take a chance on a non-fiction Mob story.

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I don't really read books but I just finished Charlie Weis' book. It was much like Holley's Patriot Reign in that it was very good for what it was but you couldn't help but feel there could have been a lot more.

11. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Each of these stories takes no more than 30 minutes to read and doesn't require looking for balls in bushes etc so is much easier than playing golf!!

12. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Lol! Ha, have you seen my displays of intelligentsia?

13. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No!!

Nobody needs to be an intellectual to read Wodehouse!!

14. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm just about to finish "Scaredy Cat" by Mark Billingham. He's a British stand-up comedian who writes crime stories, with a central character called Tom Thorne. It's my current book for the commute to work.
    www.markbillingham.com

I've also just started reading "State of Denial" by Bob Woodward.

15. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Ha ha! Good points, &*(*!@#p&

16. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

This is an excellent referral. You British are very good at taking each other out of the picture in many strange and/or unusual manners with a bit of humour, too. You British practically invented crime mysteries (Agatha Christie and Sir Doyle). You British also have a knack for mood and period pieces. You British.....that's a lot of fun to say once you get going.

17. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The books are great escapism for some perverse reason. I say perverse because I work in what is one of the most deprived parts of London and I read books about violent crime and everything that comes with social ills.

18. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I like Billingham too. Good style. Good London mood. Great story-telling.

If you like crime, I have a recommendation. Chicago-based writer called Gillian Flynn. First novel, Sharp Objects is an absolute belter. Brilliant thriller writing. Published in September in US, coming in UK early January.

Have reviewed it on my site if anyone interested:

http://materialwitness.typepad.com/

19. Clonamery

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -1

Thanks, waspy. I travel a great deal and never sleep when I cross at least 2 time zones. Prefer crime.....

20. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cheers. I'm always looking for new authors, so I'll keep an eye out for her. BTW, that's a great blog you have going there. I had fantasies of writing one but was never sure what I would put on it.