Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Here is the official BB 2006 draft preview press conference transcript before it happens:

Press: How do you see your chances of coming away with an impact player from the 21st pick in the first round? Do you plan on holding onto the 21st pick?

BB: "Well ... You know ... It's hard to predict what player might be available depending on changes in draft order. Do we plan to trade up or down? That's a distinct possibility. What we're looking for is best value. We feel we can come away with that based on the picks we have, whether or not those picks actually occur as they presently stand."

Press: One thing you've shown in your tenure here so far is an interest in trading down to stockpile more picks for future drafts. Is that part of an ongoing philosophy?

BB: "Sometimes trading down for additional picks is a good value, yes. It all depends on what our needs are, and what the needs are of other teams who are interested in a certain player and need to move up to get him. I can't say that will or will not happen in this draft, but we are always open to hearing offers that ultimately can help our football team."

Press: You've personally never drafted a linebacker in the first round, yet that seems to be a priority area for the team this year. What are your thoughts on that?

BB: "Well, we've looked at a lot of people and feel fairly confident in our knowledge of what this draft has to offer. Our intention is to bring in players who can help our football team regardless of position."

Press: Do you see the need to draft a running back in the early rounds to help spell Corey Dillon or to groom as his possible heir-apparent?

BB: "We can stand to improve at every position on this football team, including running back. Or quarterback, for that matter. Will we take a running back in the early rounds? Look, I don't have a crystal ball. We just plan to do what's best for the New England Patriots."

Press: What about cornerback? Do you feel you're set at that position, or does it need to be addressed in this draft? Is Antonio Cromartie on your radar screen?

BB: "Well of course, defensive back has been an area of concern the past few years because of injuries. But we have some people coming back and have tried to bolster that area somewhat in free agency. Whether we can improve there through the draft has yet to be seen."

Press: Do you plan on making any further moves in free agency, such as tendering offers to any restricted free agents of interest?

BB: "We have no plans to do that at the present time, but that may change."

Press: What about wide receiver? Right now it appears that the Patriots don't have a legitimate No. 2 receiver behind Deion Branch to replace the loss of David Givens.

BB: "There are a number of capable wide receivers in this draft who we will be watching closely."

Press: Back to the issue of cornerback: There have been reports that you've been in contact with Ty Law about a possible return. What can you tell us about that?

BB: "Nothing, really. Ty is seeking a deal that is in his best personal interest. If that happens to coincide with our interests as a team, we might consider that prospect, but there are no plans to move in that direction."

Press: Back to running back again. If USC's Lendale White slipped to the No. 21 spot, would you be interested in taking him?

BB: "The player showed on the field that he has the potential to perform in this league. But our interest in him specifically, or Reggie Bush or any of a number of other players for that matter, will depend on a variety of factors you can't predict and will only become evident on draft day."

Press: The New York Jets have three picks very high in the draft. Does the draft strategy of division rivals have any bearing on your selections?

BB: "I can't spend time worrying about what other teams are doing. I only care about the New England Patriots."

Press: Do you plan to draft a kicker?

BB: "Whether we draft a kicker or sign a rookie free agent or two, I expect there to be competition for the kicking job in training camp."

Press: What about offensive line prospects. Does anyone interest you?

BB: "Offensive line is among the areas we will be looking at, sure. We recognize the need for maintaining depth at those positions."

Press: Regarding back-up quarterback, will Doug Flutie be returning next season, or do you have plans to bring in another veteran free agent? And where is Matt Cassel currently on the depth chart?

BB: "I haven't talked to Doug or our coaches regarding plans for that position. Matt certainly will be in the mix."

BB: "Anything else?"

Press: (silence)

BB: "OK."

-- end of press conference --

Last edited:
Geez, I hope there's at least one "It is what it is." If not I'll be disappointed.:(

Hoodie said:
Geez, I hope there's at least one "It is what it is." If not I'll be disappointed.:(

I think he saves that one for the regular season.

Tune you have way to much free time on your hands! Funny stuff, though!

When I read Reiss' article I kind of chuckled at the thought of a "pre-draft press conference" let alone it actually taking place. What would be the point of going (unless of course your name is Borges, then you can b!tch about how he didn't tell you any inside secrets and question BB's arrogance towards the media etc.)?

:rofl:

Are you sure you haven't been meticulously studying BB's press conferences word-for-word? That's DEAD-ON!

You nailed it verbatim

Is there anything less revealing than a BB press conference. How many ways can he not answer a question? I enjoy seeing him stonewalling the press.

Tunescribe said:
Here is the official BB 2006 draft preview press conference transcript before it happens:

Press: How do you see your chances of coming away with an impact player from the 21st pick in the first round? Do you plan on holding onto the 21st pick?

BB: "Well ... You know ... It's hard to predict what player might be available depending on changes in draft order. Do we plan to trade up or down? That's a distinct possibility. What we're looking for is best value. We feel we can come away with that based on the picks we have, whether or not those picks actually occur as they presently stand."

Press: One thing you've shown in your tenure here so far is an interest in trading down to stockpile more picks for future drafts. Is that part of an ongoing philosophy?

BB: "Sometimes trading down for additional picks is a good value, yes. It all depends on what our needs are, and what the needs are of other teams who are interested in a certain player and need to move up to get him. I can't say that will or will not happen in this draft, but we are always open to hearing offers that ultimately can help our football team."

Press: You've personally never drafted a linebacker in the first round, yet that seems to be a priority area for the team this year. What are your thoughts on that?

BB: "Well, we've looked at a lot of people and feel fairly confident in our knowledge of what this draft has to offer. Our intention is to bring in players who can help our football team regardless of position."

Press: Do you see the need to draft a running back in the early rounds to help spell Corey Dillon or to groom as his possible heir-apparent?

BB: "We can stand to improve at every position on this football team, including running back. Or quarterback, for that matter. Will we take a running back in the early rounds? Look, I don't have a crystal ball. We just plan to do what's best for the New England Patriots."

Press: What about cornerback? Do you feel you're set at that position, or does it need to be addressed in this draft? Is Antonio Cromartie on your radar screen?

BB: "Well of course, defensive back has been an area of concern the past few years because of injuries. But we have some people coming back and have tried to bolster that area somewhat in free agency. Whether we can improve there through the draft has yet to be seen."

Press: Do you plan on making any further moves in free agency, such as tendering offers to any restricted free agents of interest?

BB: "We have no plans to do that at the present time, but that may change."

Press: What about wide receiver? Right now it appears that the Patriots don't have a legitimate No. 2 receiver behind Deion Branch to replace the loss of David Givens.

BB: "There are a number of capable wide receivers in this draft who we will be watching closely."

Press: Back to the issue of cornerback: There have been reports that you've been in contact with Ty Law about a possible return. What can you tell us about that?

BB: "Nothing, really. Ty is seeking a deal that is in his best personal interest. If that happens to coincide with our interests as a team, we might consider that prospect, but there are no plans to move in that direction."

Press: Back to running back again. If USC's Lendale White slipped to the No. 21 spot, would you be interested in taking him?

BB: "The player showed on the field that he has the potential to perform in this league. But our interest in him specifically, or Reggie Bush or any of a number of other players for that matter, will depend on a variety of factors you can't predict and will only become evident on draft day."

Press: The New York Jets have three picks very high in the draft. Does the draft strategy of division rivals have any bearing on your selections?

BB: "I can't spend time worrying about what other teams are doing. I only care about the New England Patriots."

BB: "Whether we draft a kicker or sign a rookie free agent or two, I expect there to be competition for the kicking job in training camp."

Press: What about offensive line prospects. Does anyone interest you?

BB: "Offensive line is among the areas we will be looking at, sure. We recognize the need for maintaining depth at those positions."

Press: Regarding back-up quarterback, will Doug Flutie be returning next season, or do you have plans to bring in another veteran free agent? And where is Matt Cassel currently on the depth chart?

BB: "I haven't talked to Doug or our coaches regarding plans for that position. Matt certainly will be in the mix."

BB: "Anything else?"

Press: (silence)

BB: "OK."

-- end of press conference --

LMAO, that is funny. BB is wasted as a coach; he should be a politician.

patriotsrule said:
Do you have a job?

Yes. Were you thinking about making me an offer?

Tunescribe said:
Yes. Were you thinking about making me an offer?

I think he was wondering where you find the time to make up all this stuff.

HugeCrushOnBB said:

I know. :rolleyes:

The most interesting part is going to be comparing the actual conference statements to what tunescribe predicted.
I'm going to go ahead and predict tunescribe to be 90-95% accurate.

what a funny guy

HugeCrushOnBB said:

AFAIK, a job is only 35-40 hours a week. So it remains a lot of time.

What Does Belichick Always Say In His Pre-Draft Conference???

:singing: is a huge :nono: "It Is What It Is"
and today... IT IS :blahblah: TIME.

Last edited:
Handel said:
AFAIK, a job is only 35-40 hours a week. So it remains a lot of time.

You'll have to share that secret (a lot of time after working 40 hrs).
I cram 60 hrs of work into 40 hrs because my job (Patient Financial Services in a very large hospital) has a huge work load with unrealistic deadlines. I'm totally burned out..... dead from the neck up by the time I get home.

I'm happy just to be able to read the posts in here before I go home for the evening....forget trying to mind-read or figure out what BB's going to say next.

HugeCrushOnBB said:
You'll have to share that secret (a lot of time after working 40 hrs).
I cram 60 hrs of work into 40 hrs because my job (Patient Financial Services in a very large hospital) has a huge work load with unrealistic deadlines. I'm totally burned out..... dead from the neck up by the time I get home.

60 hours into 40 hours.....yeah that and talking to me on the phone and sending me funny emails all day!! :D

HugeCrushOnBB said:

MAKE UP ? !

Was even one line of that transcript made up?

Man, some of Tune's were dead-on:

Tunescribe said:

Bill Belichick said:
Q: Now that you have changed your kicker, does that make it more likely that you might draft someone at some point?

BB: We drafted a kicker a couple of years ago. We’ll draft players at any position that we think can be competitive for a spot on this roster. That's across the board. It doesn't matter what position they‘re at.

Tunescribe said:

Bill Belichick said:
Q: But as opposed to smaller types of backs.

BB: We have other players that aren’t… Kevin Faulk has been very productive for us. We’ve had other players. The player is what he is. You can’t take a 5’8, 200-pound guy and make him 6’2, 240. But if he’s productive in his style of play and his physical stature, whatever it is, I think he can have value for you. There’s plenty of good backs, Hall of Fame backs, the Walter Paytons of the world and guys like that, Barry Sanders, who weren’t 6’2, 235, but they were great players. I wouldn’t rule out anybody. Reggie Bush. I’m sure he could play for us. I wouldn’t rule anybody out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back