PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What area is our primary Draft priority?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Choose one.....

• Running Back

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • OL

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • WR

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Defensive Backfield

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • LB

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • DL

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Best Player/s Available

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Trying to get a feel for how our draft forum thinks we should go?

WR for me. I want Deion Branch II. Put those two out there with Watson and Graham. Yummy.

For me it was between RB and LB. Think we can do both but want to see our RB stable become a real threat, think that would provide the most valuable upgrade to our team.

If we have no signings in the free agency, the answer is obviously WR. If we make no significant signings, we will look to sign TWO wider receivers out of this sad group.

Branch is signed though 2006
Givens is a free agent
Brown is a free agent
Davis is a free agent
Dwight is a free agent

We have Bethel through 2007 (if he makes the team)
We have Childress

-------------------------------

BTW, do you mean Round One priority, Day One priority, or make sure we get this need filled priority?

mgteich said:
If we have no signings in the free agency, the answer is obviously WR. If we make no significant signings, we will look to sign TWO wider receivers out of this sad group.

Givens is a free agent
Brown is a free agent
Davis is a free agent
Dwight is a free agent

We have Childress

BTW, do you mean Round One priority, Day One priority, or make sure we get this need filled priority?
The great part for us is that in the middle rounds this draft is absolutely stacked with WR prospects. The only WR to take in round 1 is Holmes, because we can have guys with just as good of potential in the 4th or 5th as we could in the 2nd. There may be no top 10 WR like there has been in previous years, but this draft has exactly what we need as far as WR goes. A lot of quality depth and potential.

I had originally thought defensive back field. However I've changed my mind to OT.

First the draft is fairly deep at OT and a good one will fall to us at 21. Second our TEs stayed in and blocked a ton. The dual TE set was not seen much after TC ended. At TC I watched Watson fly down the seem and catch a ton of balls. In the regualr season I saw it maybe a half dozen times. Third the running game was ranked in the mid 20's. I don't believe it was all Dillion's or the rookies fault. A lot of it had to do with talent. Fourth even if Ashworth stays, we need an upgrade over Ashworth/Gorin as well as Kazcur. Fifth Brady took too many hits this past year, even with a TE staying in and blocking. Sixth blitz pick up killed us, especially in Denver. Pittsburgh's line had no problem and they killed Denver.

mgteich said:

Givens is a free agent
Brown is a free agent
Davis is a free agent
Dwight is a free agent

We have Childress

Was thinking as a day one priority - my hunch is we trade our number one for a player and pick (next year) or couple of picks (again next year preferably) and we still have 3 day one's and 8 total....

I'm always fine with a OT early. He would also need to project at RG or LT to meet Dante's requirement for flexibility of position. Besides Kaycur could be a very good RT. He certainly is a quality LT. BTW, what do you think of our practice squad player; Britt? He would certainly be a Day One pick if not for the injury.

I'd like our front 7 blockers on offense (including TE's) to be as good as out front seven on defense. The question is how we should use our resources. I think that the draft is the place to get linemen on both sides of the ball.

We have a decision to make. We need to decide whether to play with the Neal's Gorin's and Ashworth's of the world or whether to bring in another couple of upgrades as we did last year. If we learn something from the PITT game, it should be what you said, that a quality OL make life much easier for the QB, and the receivers (including the TE's).

Ochmed Jones said:
I had originally thought defensive back field. However I've changed my mind to OT.

First the draft is fairly deep at OT and a good one will fall to us at 21. Second our TEs stayed in and blocked a ton. The dual TE set was not seen much after TC ended. At TC I watched Watson fly down the seem and catch a ton of balls. In the regualr season I saw it maybe a half dozen times. Third the running game was ranked in the mid 20's. I don't believe it was all Dillion's or the rookies fault. A lot of it had to do with talent. Fourth even if Ashworth stays, we need an upgrade over Ashworth/Gorin as well as Kazcur. Fifth Brady took too many hits this past year, even with a TE staying in and blocking. Sixth blitz pick up killed us, especially in Denver. Pittsburgh's line had no problem and they killed Denver.

All things being equal I would say WR. Givens is a free agent, B. Johnson hasn't done well, Troy Brown may retire, Dwight is a free agent and mostly a STer anyways, and Andre Davis is nothing special.

However, all things aren't equal. IMO, this year's WR draft class sucks. So I voted for BPA. We could use help in several different areas.

Last edited:
It is too early to say, not projecting any Free Agent signings I see our:

(in no particular order)
- first day draft needs as: TE, WR, OT, DE, NT, OLB
- first round value areas as: TE, DE, OLB conversion

Bear in mind, I am looking at the projected 2007 roster as much as the projected 2006 roster when determining where the needs will develop.

With the TE strength in this class, DE or an OLB conversion would seem to be the best place to spend that first round pick. Run this poll again in mid-April and the vote becomes clearer.

My break down of the first day needs:
TE - A number three or Practice Squad player in 2006 and number two in 2007.
DE - A depth upgrade behind Seymour, Warren, and Green in 2006 and a replacement for Seymour in 2007 (if needed).
NT - A depth upgrade behind Wilfork in 2006 and the starting NT in 2007 (with the athletic Wilfork moving to DE).
OT - A depth upgrade behind Light and Kaczur in 2006 and 2007.
OLB conversion - A depth upgrade behind Willie, Rosie, and Vrabes in 2006, possible starter in 2007.
WR - A number four WR in 2006, number two in 2007.

mgteich said:
I'm always fine with a OT early. He would also need to project at RG or LT to meet Dante's requirement for flexibility of position. Besides Kaycur could be a very good RT. He certainly is a quality LT. BTW, what do you think of our practice squad player; Britt? He would certainly be a Day One pick if not for the injury.

I'd like our front 7 blockers on offense (including TE's) to be as good as out front seven on defense. The question is how we should use our resources. I think that the draft is the place to get linemen on both sides of the ball.

We have a decision to make. We need to decide whether to play with the Neal's Gorin's and Ashworth's of the world or whether to bring in another couple of upgrades as we did last year. If we learn something from the PITT game, it should be what you said, that a quality OL make life much easier for the QB, and the receivers (including the TE's).

I think this last paragraph says it all. Will we live with the 3 players you mentioned? They have all proved they can play, but none proved they can be top tier players. I think you have to bring in young guys like Britt and see if they can develop. But on the same token it will be hard to see guys Ashworth and Neal leave. But I am beginning to think it will be for the best.

Running back and I'd like to see it addressed in the draft, preferably in the first round. The Pats have gone with old vets like A. Smith and Dillon under Belichick. I think it's time for a long-term solution at that position.

LenDale White of USC is the guy I like the most. A large powerful type RB that Belichick favors given he brought in Smith and Dillon.

I voted for Running back, but I am torn between RB and LB at this point. I think WR can be addressed on the first day, but as far as priority goes, I'm hoping for a RB or LB at #21. After we get one of each of those positions, we can draft all the WR we want.

And, unless Neal doesn't resign, I really feel like we are set at OL for a while, especially if Britt can live up to all his hype; then I think we are really going to be ok for years to come.

I'm hoping that we get an outstanding Oline guy and then I'd look to LB. LB has to be the longest learning curve on our team.

I agree that LBs have the longest learning curve in our defense. They have so many responsibilities and reads. I'm amazed when Chad Brown who's been in the league for over ten years and played in the Pittsburgh 3-4 says he's struggling to pick up the ILB position on the Pats.

Depending on how he runs, I'm still hoing we get Parham with our first 3rd rounder. He has 3-4 experience at Virginia.

Taking the question "what is greatest priority" to mean what should we use the top pick on; I picked OL.

I think everything starts and ends in the trenches first. DL I think we are ok. OL I think we need another guy like Mankins for depth, maybe even somebody who can center in an emergency.

I think we have enough youth in DBs to get by; but definitely need more DB draft help. Also think we will look for a young LB to develop. But I see those needs addressed in rounds 2-4 like where we got Hobbs. So we may end up drafting MORE DBs than OL; but the priority or top pick goes there.

None of the Above

Once again the most important choice is not an option... OLB/DE "Elephant" is the most pressing need and that isn't a choice.

Call it he Demarcus Ware or Steve Merriman clone for Willie McGinnest's starting position after a year or two of groomingg, if you need a definition.

AzPatsFan said:
Once again the most important choice is not an option... OLB/DE "Elephant" is the most pressing need and that isn't a choice.
Unfortunately that guy is getting tougher to get with Crennel, Mangini, etc, out there looking for the same type players :(

Manny Lawson is a possible convert if he could put on 20 pounds (I think he could, being 6'5"). I guess we asked Darryl Tapp about his feeling about moving to OLB but at 6'1" he's somewhat limited.

Lawson looks like he needs a lot of work, in the brief time I watched him at the Senior bowl practice he was getting handled by the TE. I don't know if that would happen consistently within the Patriots defensive scheme, but it was a concern.

21st Pick should produce a good one this year

Looking at all the juniors that came out, it seems like a lot of good players could drop that far. If he's there, RB Laurence Maroney may be too good to pass up. He's NFL ready. DE Tamba Hali or LB Bob Carpenter could be there. They would move Hali to LB since they're fine at DE. There's also Thomas Howard at LB. I don't think they'd take a wide receiver in the 1st rd unless they really like Hagan. I'd hate to see them pick S Darnell Bing. He's an injury waiting to happen. If S Michael Huff fell to 21, I think the Pats would snatch him in an eye-wink. I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes