PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you looking for from the game on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense (and special teams and offense) to give up 20 points or less and show some capability of defending the run and the pass.

1.) Defense - Can the front seven stop the run?

2.) Defense - Can the front seven generate anything resembling a pass rush?

3.) Offense - Can we run to the left?

4.) Offense - New TE's, what kind of routes are each running? Can they block in the running game?

5.) ST - What kind of leg does the Zoltan have?

Simple:

1) No significant injuries
2) Win time of possession. If we control the ball, we score. We score, we play with a lead, D line gets rest, secondary gets to make adjustments, and contains the passing game enough to keep it from being a two-way shootout.

1. Can Mayo consistently shed blocks and make tackles?
2. Will the secondary get beaten by the long ball, especially to the deep middle?
3. How much time will Palmer get to throw?
4. Any big, momentum-shifting plays from the D?
5. How many catches for Tate, Welker, and Gronk?

It's the first game of a long season with a lot of new and developing players.

I'm not looking for a win - just a solid performance by all.

If they play well and lose against a very good team like the Bengals, I'll feel pretty good about their chances of finishing 10-6, making the playoffs, and going deep into the post season.

To score 7 points every time we get the ball, until the kids on defense mature.

I would love to see that if the Pats have a lead going into the 2nd half, to not lose that as it was a killer for the team last year. Too many times, when starting the 2nd half with a lead, they could never seem to get that crucial score to put the game close to being out of reach. The Bronco's game is a great example of this...

Obviously a win and no injuries. There are no style points in the nfl.
===========

Beyond that, I would like to see a solid defensive line, especially against the run on short yardage.

Finally, I'd like to see how our diaper corners produce without any veteran presence.

A few things I am looking for

(1) How will the secondary hold up? I think McCourty and Butler will be tested early and often tomorrow. It should be a good barometer of how our pass defense is going to fare the rest of the season. Its unfortunate we still dont have a top tier pass rusher to help the cornerbacks.

(2) Can we stop the run? Missing Warren will hurt. But, we still have wilfork up the middle, so at least to a certain extent we dont have to worry about runs up the middle. Can our DEs do enough to help our LBs take down the ball carrier. Im assuming Spikes will be an upgrade to the rush defense, and Mayo will be a little better than last year.

(3) Can we run? This is important because it will go a long way to protecting Brady when he drops back to pass. If we cant run, the pressure will be coming from everywhere at Brady. I cant imagine us giving the ball to Taylor 20 times a game for 16 games and him not getting injured. We need Morris, Maroney or BJGE to step up to take some of the load off of Taylor. I think our OL will be ok versus the run, and if thats the case, it will help the OL versus the pass, because instead of 3rd and long, we can have 3rd and short, and not worry about the all out blitzes all the time

Not much to add here, like everyone else I want a win, no injuries, and the rooks showing something, but I do want to see: No drives longer than 9 plays by CIN, kkthxbai.

Adding Graham and Owens gives Palmer some weapons so I'm guessing we are in trouble. :eek:

1. Can Mayo consistently shed blocks and make tackles?
2. Will the secondary get beaten by the long ball, especially to the deep middle?
3. How much time will Palmer get to throw?
4. Any big, momentum-shifting plays from the D?
5. How many catches for Tate, Welker, and Gronk?

1. Mayo (12) -- and Chung with 16 -- hit double digits in tackles.
2. Excluding the hail mary to Shipley, the D gave up 0 completions over 30 yards, and only one completion over 20 yards -- a 28-yard TD to Ochocinco in the 3rd.
3. One sack, 6 qb hits. The pressure was there.
4. Gary Guyton's INT return for a touchdown comes to mind.
5. Welker was the Pats' number one receiver in this game, with 8 catches and 2 TD's, and Tate and Gronkowski combined for 5 catches and a TD. Noobie TE Aaron Hernandez also had a big play with a 45 yard reception in the first, but went without a catch for the remainder of the game.

Last edited:
To crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

That is what i'm looking for.
Check............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back