Welcome to PatsFans.com

What are the proudest achievements of the expresidents?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 9, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

We're all aware of Jimmy Carter's humanitarian contributions since leaving the presidency. Clinton, too, is doing quite a bit, and for several years has been extremely active in fighting worldwide AIDS:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/po/20070508/co_po/clintonfoundationbrokersdealsonhivdrugs

What about the other presidents? Bush I did unite with Clinton to raise money for Katrina, but I don't think he's nearly the humanitarian of Clinton or Carter. Reagan, to my knowledge, did nothing, but he was suffering from Alzheimer's even while he was President. What do you think Bush II will do? Do you expect him to be a humanitarian?
  2. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh give me a break...
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'm more aware of how bad he F*cked everything up when he was in office. Jimmy Carter was perhaps the worst president WE'VE EVER had {yeah, I said EVER}.

Much of the our problems right now can be traced back to him. I don't care many houses he builds or what humanitarian crap he does, He'll NEVER get a pass from me for all the crap he did.

Carter is the most undignified, shameful ex-president we've ever had too.

As to the original question. No, probably not, most Republicans that leave office, understand that there time is past and they pass the torch of leadership on to others. Their job is to be a dignified elder statesmen, and that's what you get. None of this narcisistic do-gooder crap.
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  4. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There already is a cure (for many diseases)... but they will NEVER let the regular's in on it.

Ever heard of population control????

This bird flu thing is in the same vein...
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

Carter did a number of good things, including facilitating the Camp David accords with established an American approach to MidEast affairs that served as a model right up through Clinton. He also made human rights a fundamental part of American foreign policy. He did a bad job on the economy, but while he's ranked low, he's certainly not considered the worst president by either historians or the general public. Even conservatives rank 9 other presidents lower than him, but they're probably a little less emotional and defensive than you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents

Ah, yes, the art of blaming others. Conservatives should learn to take some personal responsibility for the failure of their leaders, rather than always trying to blame people in the past. History is a continuous thing, so blame gets passed back and back and back, but it's only the current leader who has the opportunity to set things right, and that's where responsibility should lie.

Ah, a fine defense of selfishness. Yeah, let's criticize those who leave office and continue to help people. Let's admire Reagan for leaving office and quickly flying to Japan for a $2 million speaking fee or Ford for all his dignified work in the area of Golf or Bush I for his dignified parachute jumps. You're response is a perfect example of the way some Republicans try to defect responsibility for their moral failures, but do you really think you're fooling anyone besides yourself?
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Carter is a loser who sanctioned the fraudulent elections in Venezuella.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Your whole post is typical ARROGANT, self-righteous elitist drivel

You're right, you're such a better human being that the rest of us. All the world's failure lie at the feet of the Republicans. You guys have all the answers. I'd love to actually debate you on this stuff, but YOU WON"T LISTEN, because you know already everything, and all your interested in is spewing crap about personal responsibility and lecturing other about OUR moral failures.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Every president we have ever had has done some little thing we can point at and say it was good, Jimmy Carter was the worse President this country has ever had or probably ever will have, America can be thankful he isn't the president right now with the enemy we face today and we can be thankful he wasn't president when those planes slammed into the WTC on 9/11.

As for Billy Blue Dress, he's nothing but a "Dirty Joke", the whole Attack On America was practiced and planned right here in his own country while he was busy "playing" and then trying to cover his a$s from all of his whacky bullsh!t. (White Trash)

:rocker:
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Carter has promoted Democracy throughout the world. The Carter Center was built to promote human rights and stop any unnecessary human suffering. Now, if you oppose that, I guess you must oppose the war in Iraq. He hasn't always been successful, but has achieved some great results. Undignified? You are really confused, that would be the present state of disarray.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

I have a great deal of respect for Clinton and Carter's post presidency work. I find it hard to fault, and found your attack on their efforts as "narcissistic do gooder crap" arrogant and dishonest.

I think that many conservatives have a philosophical belief that we're all in it for ourselves. That said, I don't think liberals have a corner on good deeds. Religious conservatives are often involved in such work, perhaps more so than liberals. But, the group I have an issue with is the corporate conservatives, who are often not religious, and tend to be quite selfish. I certainly put the Bush's in that camp.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +124 / 7 / -13

Carter is a gadfly who is trying to make up for his failures as President.

Most Presidents are humble enough to step away from the spotlight folowwing the example of George Washington. Clinton and Carter are exceptions who can't resist drawing attention to themselves.

BTW Patters care to guess how much Clinton is making each year in his role as a political celebrity?
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

We can never know a person's true motives, but good deeds remain good deeds. Certainly if all Carter and Clinton longed for was the limelight, they could have hosted golf events like Ford did.

Envious? Jealous? Which is it? (What did you think of Reagan's trip to Japan for $2 million immediately after leaving office?)
  13. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's just typical Patters rhetoric. This thread is nothing more than a transparent attempt of saying "look how wonderful democrat ex-Presdients are and look how eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-vil Republican ex-Presidents are..!!" It even has the typical ridiculous Wikipedia reference. All it needs is some good old fashioned holocaust denial references and it's the Patters trifecta.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

When QuiGon can't defend his point of view, he resorts to personal attacks. He seems to be resorting to personal attacks more and more these days.
  15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Where that pot & kettle picture, RW...? I think we need you to post that again. Looks like Patters is getting just a little bit too full of himself, as usual.

Don't blame me for the fact that you decided to quote holocaust deniers to support your points that nuking Japan wasn't necessary. That ain't a personal attack, that's merely a statement of fact. What's the matter...? Truth hurt...?
  16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Promoted democracy, How-so, by turning a blind eye towards the danger we faced back in his day?

I'll never forget this one statement he made directly after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan in 1979. He Said - "This action of the Soviets, has made a more dramatic change in my own opinion of what the Soviets’ ultimate goals are than anything they’ve done in the previous time I’ve been in office.”.

WTF???????? Are you kidding me. How ignorant or blind to you have to be about the dangers of communism and it's history of MASS-MURDER on a large scale. It took and invasion for him to figure this out? I was 13 and I already knew it. Remember, this was said while the E. Germans were gunning down people climbing over the wall daily and just after Pseudo-Communist genocide in Cambodia... etc. etc.... Carter did not have a CLUE. A boy among men, and it emboldened many, including those we struggle against today.

Ummmmmmm. Yes, being openly anti-Semitic is undignified. IMO, of course
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but Carter got back at the Soviets... yes he sure did... after they invaded Afghanistan he... uh, well gee... oh yeah..!! He boycotted the Olympics..!! That sure showed them..!!
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

Well, it least you're presenting the facts this time rather than wrongly implying that I'm a holocaust denier. Yes, like others, I have sometimes used a website I am not familiar with and that turned out to espouse a viewpoint I don't share. But, the article itself did neatly summarize all the quotes I had earlier referred to, such as those by Eisenhower, Nimitz, and others who said that it was not necessary to nuke Japan.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +165 / 4 / -4

Yeah, Reagan's brilliant Afghanistan move gave rise to the Taliban, bin Laden, and ultimately to 9/11. I wish the Soviets had won that war.
  20. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well now we have a liberal blaming Reagan for 9/11. Clinton is completely without blame, but the guy who left office almost 13 full years before hand is to blame.

Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes: