PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are the Pats' genuine weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Every unit or subunit can have its bad games or bad couple of games. And the media loves to talk about the possibility that these are lasting weaknesses that somebody will exploit to beat the Pats. E.g., I'm inspired to post this by the Jags-built-to-beat-Pats thread.

With that as background, what are the Pats' REAL weaknesses, if any?

My answers:

1. In the offense, there are none. The running game is just OK, creating a huge imbalance vs. the superlative, historically great passing game. But if the Pats need 3 yards and a cloud of snow, they're in pretty good shape to grind it out.

2. A great dink-and-dunk -- or power-running -- offense will move the ball on a great defense, until the field shortens, at which point the movement grinds to a halt. I think most apparent signs of defensive weakness have boiled down to a version of that, or else have been due to transitory problems. E.g., I think the red zone defense is back, and will prove that it's back even against better offenses than it's been tested against recently. That is to say, I think bend-not-break is back.

3. I do think there is one genuine defensive weakness -- playmaking in the center of the field. Bruschi is evidently a JAG now, even being relatively healthy. Seau is a JAG+, with the + being superior blitzing ability. An offense that can punch through the DL or throw over it has an easier job bending the bend-not-break guys than I'd like.

4. I see no particular weaknesses on STs.

I dont see a glaring weakness, but if i had to choose one, I would say if your intial rush can be contained by a scheme, the middle of the field seems vulnerable. Easier said than done though. The pats are going to have to start thinking about reloading their D soon though.

Offense

1. Running
Pat's OL isn't particularly good at runblocking but they would be better if they had a running back that 1. didn't run with his head down and 2. hit the hole without hesitation.

2. Playcalling
Very predictable. Pats seem not to have made any adjustments to the adjustments defenses have made to the Pats new WR group.

3. Brady - biggest weakness. Is obsessed with the long ball and refuses to give it up until he hits one.

Defense

Worse unit is the LBs. Can't get off blocks, overrun plays, can't tackle.

1) Not to thrilled about our running game against better competition.
2) Weather can limit our passing attack
3) Refereeing can require us to require larger cushion to insure the win
4) Loosing Colvin hurt
5) Bruschi is less than a Jag now

In spite of all that above 80% chance we go 19-0

Offense

1. Running
Pat's OL isn't particularly good at runblocking but they would be better if they had a running back that 1. didn't run with his head down and 2. hit the hole without hesitation.

2. Playcalling
Very predictable. Pats seem not to have made any adjustments to the adjustments defenses have made to the Pats new WR group.

3. Brady - biggest weakness. Is obsessed with the long ball and refuses to give it up until he hits one.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Classic!!!!!!

No wonder we suck!

Depth at LB and CB, that's about it.

Health at TE is always questionable, for some reason.

Running isn't a strength or a weakness, it's average right now.

Yea, Brady's the biggest weakness in this offense, for sure. :rolleyes:

Given your recent posts, you have some seriously irrational hatred for Brady and are masking it as 'constructive' criticism.

Offense

1. Running

2. Playcalling

Defense

Worse unit is the LBs. Can't get off blocks, overrun plays, can't tackle.

I was going to say "the fan base", and this post by PF1996 is a perfect example of why.

Last edited:
I'd narrow that down a bit to the Scary Mary segment of the fan base, Irate Dionysus

Offense

images.jpg

Are you serious?

Do you not remember the Steeler game when he completed about 6 straight passes to Welker because they took away the deep stuff?

the weather;)

images.jpg

Are you serious?

Do you not remember the Steeler game when he completed about 6 straight passes to Welker because they took away the deep stuff?

Yep, late in the game after he had been successful on a few long throws, which proves my point. Brady is stuck on throwing the ball long, while ignoring the short open throws, until he hits one. Once he does, he reverts to being Brady of old. The problem is that his tendency to try to force the ball UNTIL he hits one plays into the hands of defenses that focus on taking away the long ball (i.e. the Colts) and will cost us against better teams (i.e. the Colts) especially if the weather is poor. It almost did againt the Jets and that's a TERRIBLE team.

I guess it must be true. They did say it on the TV. That makes it true...right

This is kinda nit picking but if I had to pick one with gun pointed to my head, I would say depth on defense. *shrug* :confused:

This is kinda nit picking but if I had to pick one with gun pointed to my head, I would say depth on defense. *shrug* :confused:

It's the kind of problem that 3/4 of the teams in this league ( if not more) would love to have....It's like finetuning the Ferrari while the neighbor is trying to keep the wheels from falling off his Yugo.......

Last edited:
For me it has been tackling. I've seen too many missed, with many players having poor tackling technique. I hasn't been just one game, there have been many.

personnaly think our biggest weakness is our run defence. Generally teams have had to play from behind which has maded their run game redundant.

Right now the one team I fear is the Jaguars.

most concerning which can and shouldve been fixed by now is tackling on defense. Rest are just a result of the people we have so cant just change much now. But our D seems to enjoy arm tackling or hit people instead of wrapping up.Every game we give so many extra yards because of this.

The biggest weakness as far as I can tell would be any loser that would call out Tom Brady on the list of weaknesses...wait, that isn't a weakness, that is insanity!

Offense

There seems to have been exactly 1 game (the last game) where this may have been an issue. No one has been talking about this "problem" all season.

If the biggest weakness is a one game aberration, then I think we're in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes