PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are the chances we will have a new receiver after the bye week

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are talking about a major trade, I agree. But certainly we might add Johnson or Gaffney. The cost is next to nothing.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Slim and none.

BradfordPatsFan said:
Yup, a bust. Kind of like this guy:
Those are Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Hines Ward's rookie numbers, respectively. :bricks:
Or like the first FIVE YEARS for this WR:

Code:
Games/GS  Rec Yds   TD
12/0      2    22   0
9/0       0     0   0
16/0     14   159   0
16/0     21   222   0
16/6     41   607   6

Pretty bad, eh? Didn't start until 5th year, didn't score a TD until his 5th year. Those are for the years 1993-1997, so the guy must be long gone from the league, right? Nope, he's our #1 receiver, Troy Brown.

hallfamebrady said:
What are the chances Chad Jackson is going to be a bust? I think pretty good at this point.
You've been smoking NEM's peace pipe again. :nono:

Box_O_Rocks said:
You've been smoking NEM's peace pipe again. :nono:

I am not the peace pipe type of guy.

The underdevelopment of Chad definately warrants picking up another receiver. The orginal depth charts had him as a 2 next to Deion.

I am most concerned by:

Florida receivers have traditionally underperformed in the NFL despite showing so much potential in college. Their offense makes them seem a lot better than reality. He seems to be folowing this trend.

Comments by the likes of Peter King questioning his football work ethic. Why would a national guy go out of his way to call him out.

His inability to be a presence when the rest of the receiving corps is so weak. It says a lot when he is a number 4 guy with the current group of receivers we have. Although I was not expecting an All - Pro out of the gate, I expecting at least a number 2.

Should we give up on him yet? No. I do see the potential for another Tony Simmons or Bethel Johnson if he does not step up soon.

amazinPats said:
I think we've got greater concerns. And, "yes," I do believe we might pick up another receiver. We certainly need to.
We picked up one alright, but not the one I was expecting. Hopefully, they are still targetting Porter.

But for those of us here who feel we've got good enough receivers on the team already, I simply point to the Miami game as a manifestation of what defences need to do to shut us down. Focus on stopping our run game. Brady and the current crop of receivers can't seem to do enough damage on their own.

I repeat: we need another receiver. I'm not sure Gaffney fits the bill. Hopefully, he does, but his numbers don't point to him as being the "savior."

hallfamebrady said:
I am not the peace pipe type of guy.

The underdevelopment of Chad definately warrants picking up another receiver. The orginal depth charts had him as a 2 next to Deion.

I am most concerned by:

Florida receivers have traditionally underperformed in the NFL despite showing so much potential in college. Their offense makes them seem a lot better than reality. He seems to be folowing this trend.

Comments by the likes of Peter King questioning his football work ethic. Why would a national guy go out of his way to call him out.

His inability to be a presence when the rest of the receiving corps is so weak. It says a lot when he is a number 4 guy with the current group of receivers we have. Although I was not expecting an All - Pro out of the gate, I expecting at least a number 2.

Should we give up on him yet? No. I do see the potential for another Tony Simmons or Bethel Johnson if he does not step up soon.

I won't judge him until he;s off the injury report and playing.

Notice how quickly the team acted when they picked up Gaffney.

The offense has a huge weakness and BB and Pioli know it. The Miami game confirmed it, as far as I'm concerned. Simple strategy for future opponents: focus on stopping the run!!

I don't think the team is done at all yet. They're still eyeballing somebody. I'm hoping it's Porter, but I'll take anyone who is decent.

hallfamebrady said:
What are the chances Chad Jackson is going to be a bust? I think pretty good at this point.

This is absurd. Anyone who puts Chad Jackson and "bust" in the same sentence through 5 weeks is just completely off their rocker. Let's put this to bed. If at the end of the year Chad Jackson hasn't made his presence felt, maybe then "bust" talk could even be thought of being mentioned, but as Santana Moss has proven, even then it would be premature.

The murmurs about his "work ethic" seem to have about as much basis in reality as the musings of a bunch of school girls chatting around their lockers. It's started with Felger and a couple others hypothesizing that maybe Chad Jackson is lazy, why not they thought, he's probably just another primadonna wide receiver, right? I mean, after all, he did go to Flordia, and as we know, everyone who comes from Florida must obviously be a bust, as all players are exactly like those that came from the college they attended. It was a completely logical thinking of course, the fact that a) he is a rookie b) he had not once but twice ruptured/tweaked/injured his hammy might have something more to do with it, but that of course wouldn't factor into the thinking of the Felgers and such. Tom Cassel chimes in by saying that Chad Jackson apparently said something that Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi found unfunny. Wow, you mean two guys both 13 years older than Chad Jackson have a different sense of humor than the youngster? Oh my god! He must have a horrible work ethic and be a totally selfish player!!

Then, out of nowhere, Peter King, who maybe once was a knowledgable guy but seemingly let his gig on NBC's Football in America get into his fat, bloated head, takes a shot at a guy who has yet to be listed at anything better than questionable on the injury list. As if Peter King knows what a hamstring injury feels like, the guy is couldn't run the 40 with a truck pushing him. Posters and media alike then pick up on these rumors of a work ethic problem and assume it's true, "well, there are rumors of a work ethic" you'll hear from time to time, "there's gotta be something more [to his lack of PT]" claims the always insightful Jon Meterparel on the amazing Dennis and Callahan show. Meanwhile, there has yet to be one single piece of valid evidence that Chad Jackson has any signs of an attitude problem, the basis of any and all negative talk about CJ revolving around how people basically assuming he's like wideouts that have come before him or the belief that hamstring injuries aren't serious. Even Reiss made the same mistake as the boneheaded reporters before him, incorrectly assuming that CJ had been held out of the Denver game for injuries not related to his hamstring, only to later learn that it was the hammy that caused the scratch.

Perhaps we should just wait and let CJ do the talking. BB tested him before the draft and was impressed with his football smarts, he has never had work ethic problems in college, there has been absolutely no sign of any selfishness, laziness, or anything negative from this guy other than stupid crazy rumors. So can we please end this ridicolous "Chad Jackson bust" talk. End rant, sorry for long post.

Last edited:
Didn't BB say something to the effect in the postgame interview this week that every game there are a few plays designed with Chad Jackson involved in them and he has to go in and make the most of these plays? This suggests to me that Chad doesn't know the playbook yet and may be having difficulty coming up to speed.

That being said -- it is way, WAY too early to be negative on Chad. He's just a rookie and WRs develop slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back