PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are Jets Players & Fans so Angry About?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the long time Jets fans are excellent posters and fans. The
bandwagon jumpers-on are like any other team's fans which seem to display
an enormous amount of chest-thumping now that they have 'joined in.' To
those that respond to this childish rhetoric and bravado, you are no better
than those that initiate it. Let's talk football and drop the "they suck. etc"
attitudes and a lot of good forums get a lot better.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had no idea how well they traveled. Pittsburgh obviously travels well - that's pretty much well known. But I hadn't realized that the Pack comes in numbers like they do. Probably because we don't see them in the AFC East all that often.

But you run into Stillers fans all the time....everywhere. I don't know any Packers fans except for an old roomate of mine, but he was from Madison, WI.
If I'm not mistaken Packer fans are more well known than any other fan base for filling up seats in opponents stadiums. There have been times when they outnumber the home fans in games at places like Tampa Bay. I have also read of multiple opposing teams doing things like limiting sale of tickets to specific zip codes, or forcing fans looking for a single game ticket to buy one or two other tickets also in an attempt to limit the number of tickets that Packer fans can buy.

I do think you are correct that we think of the Steelers first because they come to Foxboro every couple of years, while Green Bay only comes to Foxboro once every eight years.

As for 'travelling well', I think that phrase may not be accurate even though it is often used. I think part of the reason so many Packer and Steeler fans show up at away games is because more fans of those teams have moved away and now live elsewhere. In other words most of those Packer or Steeler fans you see in the stands when their teams have an away game now live in that area when they attend those games; it's not as if they have thousands of people making eight road trips every year.

Many of the long time Jets fans are excellent posters and fans. The
bandwagon jumpers-on are like any other team's fans which seem to display
an enormous amount of chest-thumping now that they have 'joined in.' To
those that respond to this childish rhetoric and bravado, you are no better
than those that initiate it. Let's talk football and drop the "they suck. etc"
attitudes and a lot of good forums get a lot better.

Maybe you should post this in one of those "chest-thumping and bravodo" threads then....:confused:

If I'm not mistaken Packer fans are more well known than any other fan base for filling up seats in opponents stadiums. There have been times when they outnumber the home fans in games at places like Tampa Bay. I have also read of multiple opposing teams doing things like limiting sale of tickets to specific zip codes, or forcing fans looking for a single game ticket to buy one or two other tickets also in an attempt to limit the number of tickets that Packer fans can buy.

I do think you are correct that we think of the Steelers first because they come to Foxboro every couple of years, while Green Bay only comes to Foxboro once every eight years.

As for 'travelling well', I think that phrase may not be accurate even though it is often used. I think part of the reason so many Packer and Steeler fans show up at away games is because more fans of those teams have moved away and now live elsewhere. In other words most of those Packer or Steeler fans you see in the stands when their teams have an away game now live in that area when they attend those games; it's not as if they have thousands of people making eight road trips every year.

I can understand why people would want to get of the long, cold Wisconsin winter, but why would they want to move from Pittsb.....

Never mind....:D

By traveling well, I mean "show up" - I realize most/many of those people now are local to the stadium - which is why Raider fans "travel well". They draw the "criminal who like to wear makeup" element everywhere they go.

But, as far as the Pack go, I've never seen a large contingent of Packers fans at a bar. In contrast, I'd say 30 - 40% of Sports bars in NYC are considered Stillers bars in some shape or form. I realized that they had a strong fanbase, I just didn't realize it was that prevalent EVERYWHERE.

I was glad to read that Mike Reiss as well as many Patsfans are finding this whole episode tiresome. Indeed Reiss even inferred that the Patriots themselves were annoyed (but silently) about it all.

It does disappoint me that the media encourages it and that players start to believe the hype that is generated. My old school training still expects prominent athletes to set good examples and unfortunately this spate of disengaging brain while talking gives our youth the wrong set of values and behaviors to follow. Using expletives to describe opposing players, whose only crime is to perform better than themselves, making baseless taunting allegations (Reiss claims a nod to the sidelines as opposed to pointing) and generally crowing before dawn is rarely criticized or deplored. The sad reality is that this behavior is childish and players and coaches that indulge in it should learn to grow up, but with the attention and remuneration they get paid they never will.

Last edited:
I was glad to read that Mike Reiss as well as many Patsfans are finding this whole episode tiresome. Indeed Reiss even inferred that the Patriots themselves were annoyed (but silently) about it all.

It does disappoint me that the media encourages it and that players start to believe the hype that is generated. My old school training still expects prominent athletes to set good examples and unfortunately this spate of disengaging brain while talking gives our youth the wrong set of values and behaviors to follow. Using expletives to describe opposing players, whose only crime is to perform better than themselves, making baseless taunting allegations (Reiss claims a nod to the sidelines as opposed to pointing) and generally crowing before dawn is rarely criticized or deplored. The sad reality is that this behavior is childish and players and coaches that indulge in it should learn to grow up, but with the attention and remuneration they get paid they never will.
I think a lot of people point to the internet and multiple 24/7 sport networks as the difference as to how players handle themselves now versus then; though that plays a part in it I think there are two other factors as well.

First: Muhammed Ali. He was, to the best of my knowledge, the first pro athlete to take trash talking to the level he did - and also the first that was treated in a positive way by the media for all that smack talk. Athletes have been emulating that style directly and indirectly ever since. They're rewarded for that behavior with more publicity.

Second: Players took care of guys who talked too much on the field themselves. When a play was going the other way and the refs had their backs to said player, he would soon be the recipient of an elbow to the mouth that would dislodge a few teeth. With multiple television cameras and a fuller facemask that is now less likely to happen. Guys no longer have any fear of retribution for running their mouth.

By traveling well, I mean "show up" - I realize most/many of those people now are local to the stadium - which is why Raider fans "travel well". They draw the "criminal who like to wear makeup" element everywhere they go.

But, as far as the Pack go, I've never seen a large contingent of Packers fans at a bar. In contrast, I'd say 30 - 40% of Sports bars in NYC are considered Stillers bars in some shape or form. I realized that they had a strong fanbase, I just didn't realize it was that prevalent EVERYWHERE.

Thats funny, where I watch games in Baltimore theres always a ton of Cheeseheads. Great fans too. They find a way to really want to win without being disrespectful, or losing perspective on good football.

As for the "Jets fans hate us" thing, it sucks to come short every year. Thats how being a Sox/Pats fan used to feel and you never forget it. I'll admit I can get pretty wrapped up in the rivalry stuff at some points, but at its core you've got to respect good football. There's chest thumpers everywhere, including this forum, but theres also some great guys to have a beer with, win or lose.

Enjoy the game, Jets fellas. Also, I recommend you check out the topic entitled "Patscast" if you're looking for analysis. Jay Shields is a member of this forum who does exceptional X's and O's stuff. Definitely worth a listen.

We're angry because we finally have a legit playoff team with who we believe is a legit HC and the god damn Patriots are still the best team in the NFL. Tom Brady, and Bill Bellichick won't go away.

We're angry because the god damn Patriots are still standing in our way and now we have to face them in Foxboro when they're coming off a bye week (a situation where they're historically pretty much unbeatable).
Well go have a god damn snack and maybe you will feel better

I don't get it...all I read, see and hear is anger coming from Jets players and fans and it makes no sense.

The game hasn't even been played and they're all fuming up a steaming pot...but for what?

I'd almost be afraid to wear my Patriots hat or hoodie if I went into NY right now. So whether they win or lose, will they all still be angry when the game's over?

Hey Jets fans!! What the hell is there to angry about? Are there any of you who can explain this strange phenominon?:confused:

Don't be, Jets fans are all bark, no bite...just like their team.

Ohhh I dunno, maybe 40 years without a SB? How about the fact that they're mental midgets? Perhaps the fact that their rents are more every year than your entire retirement nest egg, and that even straight guys in that city sing show tunes? Also, people drove planes into their buildings, that'll piss anybody off. But really, being a JEST fan is its own reward... its own just reward, I might add. And that's why they're angry.

I'm curious, do most Jets fans also consider themselves Giants fans? I find NY having two teams not the best system, as one team can easily fade into obscurity. I'm thinking that's part of the reason the Jets have to have so much bravado; two teams in one city versus one team for six states.

How much of this festering anger stems from the fact that the Jets ALMOST had Bill Belichick for their own?

This counts as one of those "history changing moments" in sports history. "What if...?

Luckily us Pats fans will never need to answer that question :rocker:

Simple frustration. If I was a true Jets fan I would be outraged and embarrassed by this jets team starting with "hard Knocks" and culminating in Cromarties inane comments in light of his own history. Keep talking Jets team. We'll see you Sunday night and play a football game. :cool:

I don't get it...all I read, see and hear is anger coming from Jets players and fans and it makes no sense.

The game hasn't even been played and they're all fuming up a steaming pot...but for what?

I'd almost be afraid to wear my Patriots hat or hoodie if I went into NY right now. So whether they win or lose, will they all still be angry when the game's over?

Hey Jets fans!! What the hell is there to angry about? Are there any of you who can explain this strange phenominon?:confused:

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but FOR ME it's a combination of jealousy, and the arrogance of Pats fans.

The Patriots dominance has simply gone on for far too long, and Pats fans have been anything but classy along the way. You guys are severely lacking in perspective.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but FOR ME it's a combination of jealousy, and the arrogance of Pats fans.

The Patriots dominance has simply gone on for far too long, and Pats fans have been anything but classy along the way. You guys are severely lacking in perspective.
I'm curious what specifically you are referring to. Somebody ran some smack on an espn of PFT comment section? Guess what, fans of all 32 teams do that. And those that comment on places like that represent about 0.00001% of their team's fan bases. Even the people that comment here or call a radio station only represent about the same percentage.

One or two people getting caught up in the excitement of a win do not represent an entire fan base of any team.

I think perhaps the bolded portion above has more to do with it than you care to admit right now. As for the classy and arrogance part of your comment, how can a Jet fan point their finger at anyone else after the way your team has talked off the field ever since the day Ryan was named coach? Did it ever occur to you that some of the comments you may hear or read are in response to what people like Ryan and some of the players - and Jet fans - say?

There are plenty of reasons that the Jets could win Sunday. However that doesn't mean I or other Pats fans think the Jets will win Sunday. To me that's not arrogance; it's rational perspective on the situation that results in cautious optimism.

I can understand that you're tired of hearing the media talk about the Patriots. If I heard the media talk about a division rival more often year after year than the team I rooted for it would probably irk me too. But let's be honest here; they talk just as much about the Jets the last two years. I think you just notice them talking about the Pats more because the teams are in the same division.

You could be right but if were arogant at least we have an excuse unlike the jests. This has been the winningest team in the last decade, so its something to brag about. My beef with jests fans is the team hasn't won andything in four decades but the fans talk like have. IF and when you actially win something theny ou can be loud and abnoxios.

LOL this is some funny sh!t. Really sorry about your team man, but the lack of humility that Rex and many of the Jets' players and fans are routinely exhibiting when the Jets have won NOTHING in 40 years? That is what I would call a serious lack of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes