Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Americans Can Learn From Egyptians

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

[​IMG]

Despite the Egyptian government's attempts to control the flow of information about mass protests, a single photo posted by an Egyptian blogger has captivated much of the online world.

The photo by Nevine Zaki shows Christian Egyptians in a ring around a group of Muslims praying in an open square. The photo is captioned, "A pic I took yesterday of Christians protecting Muslims during their prayers."

Egypt: Photo Of Christians Protecting Muslims Goes Viral - WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

God that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, the people of Israel must feel a lot better seeing this.

Who were the christians protecting the Muslims from??

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I love reading about stuff like this. I gives me hope that humans have an inate sense of what is right & wrong and that some people actually have the courage to do the right thing despite the threat of physical harm.

God bless us all that we may have that same kind of courage.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

While I love and appreciate the story, I'm truly dumbfounded by what the title of this thread is trying to imply. The title imples, to me anyway, that "Americans" are somehow intolerant of other people's faith. That we are somehow evil, rabid, bigoted neoandrothols who wouldn't help people of another faith, and would in fact look to hurt them as they pray. Maybe the OP failed to notice that we aren't the ones rioting in the streets. That we're not the people, nor are we the place, where fellow citizens are lobbing stones at one another, and killing each other in the streets. Oh, and maybe the OP doesn't realize that here in the place where us ignoramous "Americans" live, there is no need for people of one faith, to use themselves as human shields to protect the people of a different faith, from being hurt when they pray. So to the OP I would say; maybe those Egyptians should stop and learn a little something from us instead. ;)

5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well here's a surprise. Another liberal posting another ridiculous "what Americans can learn from (fill in the blank)" article. Pretty pathetic that in this case, the "fill in the blank" country is a nation in absolute turmoil, chaos and a state of anarchy.

Yup! I sure do wish our society was modeled after Egypt's! They got everything going down just perfectly over there! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What Americans can learn from Egyptians:
    - How to walk like Egyptians.

What Egyptians can learn from Americans:
    - Sorry, but I don't have a couple months worth of free time available to list all the things Egyptians can learn from Americans

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

True story: I was visiting Atlanta and on right there on the side of a sidewalk of a fairly busy street, a Muslim was on his knees doing his prayers. Everyone walking by politely gave him reasonable space and just kept walking.

You said it perfectly. I am thankful I live in a country where that man didn't need a human shield.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Maybe the OP was remembering the numerous threads and posts here about the Muslims wanting to build a mosque near Ground Zero and all the threats which the Muslims were receiving from all those "tolerant" Americans who took to the streets and tried burning their Koran.

Or maybe she was remembering the Mosques here in America which have been the targets of fire bombs and graffiti and miscellaneous attacks.

Or maybe she was remembering the cities and states which tried to pass "anti-Sharia" laws during the last election - when there was no danger of Sharia laws being passed in the first place.

Or maybe she was remembering the threads which complained about Muslims wearing Burkas or Hajjibs and saying that they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

Or maybe she was remembering Sarah Palin, while a candidate for vice president, listening and nodding to a minister who was talking about how Jews really need to embrace Christianity.

Or maybe she was just thinking about Harry Boy who suggests frequently that Muslims should be eliminated.

When that minister wanted to burn the Koran, one young man grabbed it out of his hand and ran with it - one. Not a whole bunch of young men, not a whole bunch of young women, not a whole bunch of Americans joining hands and protecting someone else's faith - just one.

When a black construction worker, wearing a rag on his head, walked through the demonstration against the building of the mosque in New York, there was no "human chain" being formed to protect him from the crowd who decided, wrongly, that he was a Muslim. No tolerant Americans came to his aid. Two men tried to help him - and the police had to lead him away to safety.

One kid snatching a Koran from the hands of minister with a lighter and 2 lone construction workers brave enough to face down an angry mob do not a "human chain" of tolerant Americans make.

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup, America sucks. Feel free to move to Egypt where everyone is so much more open minded and tolerant. I'll even help pay.

(I mean that too. If you move to Egypt I will contribute $25,000 to your moving expenses).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

I almost typed at the end of my post, that "now watch Mrs DB poster insert some link that points to some ridiculous incident, or individual...." But I digress....

I should ask the muslims that work for me if they've ever had a problem in this country. Oh wait, that's right they haven't. So apparently because one person burned a couple of pages from a Koran (those damned first amendment rights from that "goddam piece of paper"), now "Americans" should be learning how to make themselves human shields. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if they have a 1st Amendment in Egypt? I didn't so.

BTW, like trying to pass anti-sharia laws are a bad thing! :bricks:

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

We're not perfect, but to say that we could learn something from them about religious tolerance is pathetic to say the least.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I gotta ask...just what does "DB" stand for?

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Whenever I use it, it stands for Dearly Beloved, generally used to reference a married woman (not necessary one married to me).

14. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,504 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I think this says something more about these specific Christians than it does for so-called Egyptian ecumenicalism. Muslims have little issue with fire-bombing Coptic churches and seizing Coptic property, while the Copts retaliate with beatings against Muslims who accidentally wander into Coptic neighborhoods.

No, the Egyptians are going to have much more in the way of religious problems when this thing is over. Anyone can stick together when there is a common enemy to fight.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

It just means someone who's sort of anal, and/or overly literal maybe. You know, like someone who attempts to find the fine print to disprove a general point. Like you say it's sunny and hot in LA, and then I go and find some link that shows it actually rains 25 days a year or some ****. Someone who criticizes a posters spelling for example, is a DB poster. Someone who posts a link to an item that costs $9.99 because someone else said it runs $10. That is a DB poster. It's kinda like, forget about it.

YouTube - Donnie Brasco - Forget About It

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Really?

That's interesting....because from what I know of "Internet language" and from what the Internet Slang dictionary says, it stands for Douche Bag.Which would, I think. qualify as one of those personal attack infractions that WP is so quick to point out nowdays.

That being the case and all - maybe you'd like to stop using it now that it's been pointed out to you?

Thanks...appreciate it.

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Awful lot of DB's in society today, that's fer sure.

18. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Mrs, without question there are plenty of bigots in the US. (OT: Am I allowed to say that?) That includes plenty of people who are bigoted toward Muslims. However, while I've never been to Egypt and know little about it, I'm confident that our government and laws are more tolerant than those in Europe, and I'm guessing that our people as a whole are as well.

These ugly instances you've cited show that we're not perfect, but the fact that they're not the norm says a lot about the country, imo.

(Personally, I was thinking of the anti-mosque protestors out here in SoCal -- but they got voted down a couple weeks ago, thankfully -- again showing the tolerance of the community rather than the opposite.)

19. Real World

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

Um, actually I won't stop using it since it means exactly what I said it does. Needless to say, your post is a further illustration of what DB can be used to describe. Yanno?

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,014 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Nice photo ... nice story ... does not apply in this country Mrs. PF.