PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What AFC team poses the greatest challenge to the Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What AFC team poses the greatest challenge to the Patriots from returning to the SB?

• New York Jets

Votes: 81 49.1%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Baltimore Ravens

Votes: 42 25.5%
  • Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 20 12.1%
  • San Diego Chargers

Votes: 18 10.9%
  • Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Some other AFC team

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel ashamed of this board because the jets are leading this poll.

The question isn't what teams are the best in the AFC. The question is what team will the Patriots most likely have problems with (in the playoffs).

The Patriots always seem to handle the Steelers well. The also do well against the Chargers. The Colts are on the downside (as I see it) and just not as dangerous as they've been in the past. KC is a joke. The Ravens could certainly be considered their most difficult challenge with a very good team and a recent playoff victory. The Jets have been problematic recently so that is also a very reasonable response.

The question isn't what teams are the best in the AFC. The question is what team will the Patriots most likely have problems with (in the playoffs).

The Patriots always seem to handle the Steelers well. The also do well against the Chargers. The Colts are on the downside (as I see it) and just not as dangerous as they've been in the past. KC is a joke. The Ravens could certainly be considered their most difficult challenge with a very good team and a recent playoff victory. The Jets have been problematic recently so that is also a very reasonable response.

Given the choice, I'd rather not play Peyton manning.

I hear you. A very reasonable concern although not my choice.

I just know that Manning with a broken neck is 10 times better than Sanchez...and thats Eli I'm talking about, Peyton Manning with a broken neck is 100 times better than Sanchez.

Baltimore will be

we have Pitts#

my rank of AFC

PATS 1
Ravens 2
Pittsburgh 3
JETS 4
Colts 5

Colts would be better than Jets, but the horseshoes have missed quite much in the last 2-3 drafts:)

the JETS are of no consequence to me b/c they lack firepower to defeat us in the present. Sanchez has 2nd worst completion percentage and Jimmy Clausen had worst. The Jets claim they will "AIR IT OUT". I really hope you guys do and you will learn that your QB ain't as hot shi t as you think he is. You are 0-2 in the biggest games of your life and with this new REVAMPED team I know you are in serious trouble:) Just imagine if we get a Haynesworth that is fairly comparable to the 1 in Tennessee. He doesn't have to be that Tennessee guy. If w get even close to 1/2 that guy watch the hell out. Vince and Albert right next to each other?:eek:
Our offensive line looks to be a Juggernaut and the best we have had EVER dating all the way back to 2001. Rex Ryan must be crapping himself:singing: he will have very high blood pressure this season b/c he will be RATTLED:rocker:

OUR NEW RUNNING GAME will be flat out SCARY:eek: we have 3 RB's that can catch the ball and Ridley 1 of my binkies looks very very solid:rocker:
Woodhead (not good enough to be a JET, Danny) ,Vereen we have 3 RB's that are multidimensional. Am I forgeting the Lawfirm? yes yes I am

have fun trying to beat our versatility, btw if u put revis on Ocho that leaves many of our elgible receivers w/ kyle wilson and JAGS. Cromartie is good, but he ain't revis.:singing:

Last edited:
Its posts like these that make Jet fans think all Pats fans are border line ******ed. Our defense declined from '09 to '10, but we still managed to finish 3rd in the NFL, something the Pats defense couldn't even come close to bragging about (25th). Also, we declined because our defense was so dominate in '09 (the next best team was 30 yards behind us in the stat rankings).
You agree you declined?
You allowed over 4 ppg more in 2010 than 2009.

I don't even want to know who you think our best pass rusher is that we lost. I'm assuming you think its Jason Taylor. If thats your answer, then again, I feel sorry for you. Taylor was a complete bust last year minus the tackle of Moore for a safety in Pittsburgh. He was a rotational player that appeared mostly on 3rd downs. He was probably the 3rd or 4th best pass rusher on the team last year, for a team that wasn't known for pass rushing at all.
The fact that you had no one else who can rush the passer doesnt change the fact that he was the best you had. As a 'situational pass rusher' he had 1 less sack than your team leader.
Who replaces him by the way?

What depth have we lost besides receiver? QB, no.
Having none then and none now isnt something to be proud of.

RB, no. OL, no.
Yes. Your top backup now starts. That is losing depth.

DL, we lost Ellis, but drafted 2 beasts with 1st and 2nd round grades attached to them. You can argue that they need time to develop, which I agree with, I fail to see that is losing depth.
Of course they are beasts:rolleyes:
You lost a starting DE and as much as he sucked a backup who played in all 16 games and started 2.

Taylor

CB, no. S, no.
Aren't Coleman and Smith gone?

We're fielding almost the same team as last year minus our receiving corp. Unless, you think we're in trouble because we didn't resign our punter?
Added to all of the guys above include Edwards, Cotchery, Woody.
You can pretend that guys who provided depth and even starters last year can be explained away because you want to believe losing them won't matter, but they earned playing time last year ahead of many guys who will have to make up for them not being there.

Really? You're taking the first preseason game as a predictor of something? :confused::confused: :bricks:

Yeah, I know, its preseason. :blush: Still I can't help it. Can you honestly say you wouldn't have any concerns if you watched our own team play badly enough to lose, even preseason, to arguably one of the worst teams in the nfl? It isn't the fact that the steelers lost so much as the fact that they could possibly play this poorly.

Maybe an example would be better. If I were to play Martina Navratilova at tennis, even in exhibition she would always clobber me. Always. I think she might have to blindfold herself and remove the strings from her racket before I had a chance.

I'm not saying this is a massive indicator or anything but it would certainly raise a flag for me had this happened to the pats. Maybe this makes me naive, but I still would bet there is a level of concern in that locker room after playing that badly.

I voted for all because anyone can become good overnight. (It is multiple choice.)

Huh? Are posters here nuts?

Only 1 team can take the division from us. Only 1 team listed will we definitely see at least twice.

The Jets are obviously at least twice as dangerous. Are people seriously not more concerned about teams IN THE DIVISION.

I'd still expect the Steelers to spank the Skins without even trying. It didn't even look like they sat out many of the 1st strings. Seriously, there is something weird about that. It shouldn't even have been close.

The Steelers guys who may not make the team lost to the Redskin second string.:D

Allow me to rank them:

New York Jets (Just look at last 2 years)
Baltimore Ravens (Always a close one.)
San Diego Chargers (Truly tough opponent, at least after September)
Indianapolis Colts (Have lost too much in last 2 years.)
Some other AFC team
Kansas City Chiefs (Nah.)
Pittsburgh Steelers (For whatever reason, we own them. Wish we met THEM in last year's playoffs.)

The jets are not a threat..the real indicator is the 45-3 game, not the playoff game. Its like the superbowl against the giants, you play that game 10 times, the pats destroy them atleast 8 out of the 10 games. I dont give a crap about their back to back afc championship games, only one of them count..it is a FACT that their playoff run two years ago was a gift, no other way to spin it.

yea ok, they beat the pats last year in the playoffs with some special def. game plan. Do you really think that will work agains BB twice? Like I said before, ask miami how running some game plan that BB has never sceen before twice works for you..it doesnt, just once, if your lucky.

I watch the nfl, the jets suck people. They have been luck the last two years. Do you have any idea how many dropped INTs sanchez has thrown? Tons. He is lucky, and he still sucks so what does that tell you?

I wish we played the jets 16 times a year.

The first sentence you wrote is one of the funniest things I've ever read on any forum. You can't possibly be serious with something as asinine as that quote. How is a regular season beatdown more important than a playoff game? How can you possibly make any rationale argument that states that a 45-3 beatdown in the regular season is a better indicator than an AFC divisional playoff game? You realize Rex has beaten BB 3 out of 5 times thus far?

Good thread topic. I think we'll handle the Green Beans OK this year and Indy is on the downslide. The Ravens and Steelers have good coaching and are well-balanced. The Chargers are due. Those three are going to be tough.

Yeah, I know, its preseason. :blush: Still I can't help it. Can you honestly say you wouldn't have any concerns if you watched our own team play badly enough to lose, even preseason, to arguably one of the worst teams in the nfl? It isn't the fact that the steelers lost so much as the fact that they could possibly play this poorly.

OK, I admit I would have concerns. I even have concerns after the Pats won by 35. :)

Haley said:
I'm not saying this is a massive indicator or anything but it would certainly raise a flag for me had this happened to the pats. Maybe this makes me naive, but I still would bet there is a level of concern in that locker room after playing that badly.

Well, I didn't see the game so I have no idea who was playing when. As far as the Patriots go, 17 presumed starters never stepped on the field during the action so it would be pretty tough to be overly concerned no matter how badly the camp fodder played. Was it that way in Pittsburgh? I haven't a clue.

Last edited:
The first sentence you wrote is one of the funniest things I've ever read on any forum. You can't possibly be serious with something as asinine as that quote. How is a regular season beatdown more important than a playoff game? How can you possibly make any rationale argument that states that a 45-3 beatdown in the regular season is a better indicator than an AFC divisional playoff game? You realize Rex has beaten BB 3 out of 5 times thus far?

well, yes ,he CAN be serious...that regular season game was built up, Ryan was blabbing nonstop, the Jets as a team were in every sound byte hooting and hollering and it was a nationwide broadcast with every big name sports writer in the country covering it. The Jets got blasted off the field and humiliated by FORTY TWO POINTS. Maybe YOU are used to losing by FORTY TWO POINTS so it's no big deal. To most NFL fans this IS a big deal as it represents a complete destruction of one team by another.

Crumpler DROPPED a sure TD in the first quarter...that is an UNFORCED MISTAKE by the Patriots that had ZERO to do with the Jets, who blew the coverage.Chung made another unforced error that bewildered the entire country...an error that gave the Jets an edge that ANY team would take...a gift.These mistakes are things that are MAGNIFIED in the playoffs and usually mean the difference between winning and losing...the Pats lost by seven points. THAT was a better indicator than the nationally televised 45-3 primetime beatdown??? No, THAT is pure green bull and to prove it, the very next week the stupid bigmouth green morons failed to gain ONE YARD in 4 tries from the 1 yard line and got strangled by a crippled Steeler team. Ask any Steeler if they wanted to play the Jets or the Pats...to a man they would, and did, reply "the Jets".

Yeah, we realize that Rex has "beaten BB THREE TIMES!!!!! Out of FIVE!!!!!". You do realize your precious 3 out of fivers have not won A Super Bowl in FORTY TWO FREAKIN' YEARS????? Anybody can play this stupid little green pinheady game...guess what, in the end, you will ALWAYS LOSE.So tell me how I can't be serious now, Whinestein....

Last edited:
Since it let you choose more than one, I voted for the Jets, Steelers, and Ravens.

I still don't know what kind of team the Jets will be with their moves, but they have a chance of being much better than last year if their rookies hit and Plax has anything left. But then again trusting a rookie DE with no offseason coming from a weak conference to start and a 34 year old WR who hasn't played football since November of 2008 could blow up in their face too.

I think the Steelers will be the team that has the most wins in the conference other than maybe the Pats. Typically, the Pats have no problem beating them, but a playoff game in Pittsburgh is still not a great proposition.

The Ravens always play the Pats tough. Beating them in the playoffs is no guarantee.

I was going to select the Chargers, but I think losing Ron Rivera will be a loss and they historically have slow starts and KC is good enough to steal away the division if the Chargers start the season 2-3. Having Philip Rivers and being in a weak division will mean they will be in the hunt.

I don't like the Colts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans finally break through and take the division. Manning is a big question mark with his neck and the Colts are already hinting he will miss the entire preseason. Without Manning at 100%, the Colts have no shot.

Who the hell voted for Kansas City???

Is Matt Cassell visiting Patsfans.com??

Huh? Are posters here nuts?

Only 1 team can take the division from us. Only 1 team listed will we definitely see at least twice.

The Jets are obviously at least twice as dangerous. Are people seriously not more concerned about teams IN THE DIVISION.

Yeah because we can't win the SuperBowl if we are only a wildcard spot :rolleyes:

I would gladly trade a division title for a wildcard spot that leads us to the SB.

Why is seeing them twice make them more dangerous? Because we have an idea how to play them already?

Ya there posts like that everywhere, including this forum. Don't pretend like it doesn't exist here. I've seen a few atrocious posts here, including the one I quoted above.

This is a good site though, much like TGG. Never been on JI, so I can't comment on it. Scout.com is pretty good too, but is more low key with much fewer posters.

TGG is a good site? Yeah, maybe for ignorant animals who shouldn't be allowed to breed. I don't see any threads on here about Sanchez being a homo or calling him a "***got" whenever his name gets brought up. TGG is disgusting, and represents the Jets fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:
TGG is a good site? Yeah, maybe for ignorant animals who shouldn't be allowed to breed. I don't see any threads on here about Sanchez being a homo or calling him a "***got" whenever his name gets brought up. TGG is disgusting, and represents the Jets fan base.

I got banned for speaking my mind on that **** site. All i got was 20-30 yr olds in their basement calling me a ***got ect.

My trip to the Jets-Pats game in NJ last year was a big awakening to show just how stupid jets fans are. Yelling for sanchez to be benched and no it was more than 5, then calling him god 2 qts later

This is from a jets fan regarding running up the score in a preseason game..

"31 coaches when they get up on a team bring in their backups, run the ball and try not to embarrass a fellow coach

Not Belichick

being a cheater, a bad sport and an all around rotten douchebag, he keeps his starters in and tries to run up the score as much as as possible

total slug"

Does he not know preseason decides who he keeps so 3-4th string has to play their hearts out?...i rest my case in my above statement..unbelievable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back