Welcome to PatsFans.com

What about Washington Redskins Safety Laron Landry

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsfan55, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I'm going to start off by saying I haven't seen much of him being a Redskin and all. But, what I have seen is a little reminiscent of Rodney. He might not complement Chung very well, but he definitely brings a certain meanness, a physical nastiness that we've definitely lacked in the defensive secondary since Rodney left. He definitely seems to lunge too much, and not wrap up enough, which is pretty evident throughout the league obviously. But, he definitely closes very fast and plays with an edge.

If we could have him on a 2 or 3 year show me what you got type deal would you do it?
  2. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +118 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

I like him as a player, but he's been IRed for the same heel injury for two years running now. For some reason he won't have surgery on it, which means the chances of him being available for the playoffs are pretty slim. On the basis of that alone, his value to a contending team is questionable.

Background: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012...-why-he-doesnt-want-to-have-achilles-surgery/

I think that the therapy that he is undergoing (PRP) is the same as what Kobe Bryant had done to his knees over the offseason. Never got the sense that Kobe's knee injuries were as severe as what Landry's dealing with, though.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0

1 year, nothing guaranteed. That's it. He'll last 6 games if he's lucky.
  4. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Injury prone and his coverage is spotty. Boy can hit like no other though.
  5. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

The Washington Redskins might franchise Laron Landry.
  6. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +118 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

If they can't reach a deal with him first, they'll tag Fred Davis. Unlike Landry, he'll last more than half the season, and the tag value for tight ends is only $5.4M.
  7. ATippett56

ATippett56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

Daniel Snyder loves to throw money at unrestricted free agents.
  8. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +118 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

That hasn't been especially true since Allen/Shanahan came to town, but even if it was, what does that have to do with Landry? They're not going to sign Davis to a long-term deal this offseason. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's getting the tag.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/r...skins-Fred-Davis-to-get-tagged?blockID=647264
  9. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

All the sports radio stations down here are sure he won't be back as a Skin. He is so injury prone though.
  10. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't like any of the high priced free agent safeties this year (unless Adrian Wilson gets cut). But one guy I do like is Jordan Babineaux from Tennessee. He is extremely versatile, having played CB, FS and SS in the NFL, as well as being a top quality special teamer. He is a very good tackler and plays the run well, but where he excels is covering deep routes over the top as a safety. That has been a huge issue for the Pats, and I think the lack of confidence our CBs have had in our safeties has lead to a lot of the problems in the secondary. He also has a knack of coming up with big plays (especially against Dallas) which would be very welcome here. He would be a very cheap option and I think a very good one.
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +821 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Branch
    Goldson
    Griffin
    Landry

That's my order for the so-called 'top' safeties available, adjusted for expected salary requests and the like. Branch intrigues me because he'd put some real speed into that secondary.
  12. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

We have a strong safety. even in the SB you saw what we need is a 190lb FS who can absolutely run and play safety.Chung is a SS one wrong step he is too big to have the speed to catchup .

if you put merriweather in the same deep coverage it would have been a interception as merriweather flat out was faster as he is smaller.
  13. ForThoseAboutToRock

ForThoseAboutToRock Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Nice insight, I'll be watching him after this post!
  14. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Woudn't Laron Landry be a back-up knowing Devin McCourty is no longer a CB? Isn't Devin now a Safety? I am confused about this.
  15. SeymourTrophies

SeymourTrophies Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

I just want a FS who can play the ball. I can't remember Ihedighbo making a play on a ball all season. Brown was worse. Chung is what he is, and it's sad that he was the best safety in coverage because he is a strong safety to the core. When Moore saw his PT, the instinct to be in the play was immediately apparent and lacking up to that point. Arrington got his picks, but even those were at 'em balls, apart from the pick in the Giants game.

Does anyone have any stats? I would think this year was by far a low in passes defended. Let's hope the abysmal safety play was the cause of it. I'd hate to see McCourty flame out. He was something else in 2010.
  16. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 5 / -1

Landry is too injury prone. I would rather have Dashon Goldson, but he is going to be overpaid based on his year last year.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

Nah. Aside from the injury issue, his skill set is a bit redundant with Chung already on the roster.

I'd rather get someone who can cover some ground out there. Like what Meriweather should have been, had he only had a brain.
  18. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I'm in Redskin's land, and he's their version of Ras-I, ie., "made of glass".
  19. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I agree that our biggest need is a GREAT center fielder. Is Branch that good of one? I really don't know anything about that dude
  20. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 5 / -2

Even when he wasn't injured, the guy couldn't cover.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.