PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about this solution to Deion problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Pay him whatever the Jets are willing to pay him?

And give him a big hug when he comes back? :)

mikey said:

Then get ready for every single player who feels he is underpaid to sit out and make a big fuss until they get their way...

Seymour went about it the right way, got his raise. Branch went about it all wrong and will sit out 10 games, get franchised and traded. We'll see how the next guy handles it...

1 - i am now very tired about this story
2 - i hope Sea or Nyj will give us a first rounder year for him
3 - then close it definitely
4 - i hope this will happen very very soon

I'm sure mikey would give him a hug. No one else would.

But then again it was THE PATRIOTS SCREWING AROUND WITH BRADY IN THE PRIME OF HIS CAREER, THE TIME TO WIN THE SB IS NOW!

emoney_33 said:
Then get ready for every single player who feels he is underpaid to sit out and make a big fuss until they get their way...

Seymour went about it the right way, got his raise. Branch went about it all wrong and will sit out 10 games, get franchised and traded. We'll see how the next guy handles it...

There is a difference Branch and every other player except Seymouor and Brady.

Branch is a very special CLUTCH player who plays his best game in the playoff and superbowl.

Any other player, we let him walk.

mikey said:

Branch is a very special CLUTCH player who plays his best game in the playoff and superbowl.

[I know, I know, don't reply, it only encourages him.] You really think Branch is more important than Vrabel, than Bruschi, than Harrison? Younger, yes. More clutch? More important?

But the difference is those three guys negotiated contract extensions out of the media, without holdouts. You would have let them walk? Then what would Ron Borges have said about you?

mikey said:
....is a very special CLUTCH player who plays his best game in the playoff and superbowl.

You just described David Givens.

mikey said:

Would branch have been so "clutch" without tommy's touch? Branch played great for us, but how much of that was his talent and how much of is was Branch's? The thing we will miss is how him and Brady were always on the same page, but he isn't the only receiver around who Brady will be on the same page with. Seymour and Brady deserved raises, Branch may have gotten a raise if he went about it the right way, like I don't know, keeping the negotiations private and actually making a counter offer.

He just showed everyone how NOT to deal with the patriots FO. If the patriots break now, he will have won and all the players will see that. It isn't like Branch is the best WR in the league, so there is no reason we should listen to his demands especially when he takes the baby way about it. It would set a horrible precedent and we've won superbowls because of having a good 53 man roster, not because of having a few elite players. Brady is clutch, Branch was lucky to be on the receiving end.

As long as Tom Brady is healthy and playing for us, and as long as BB/Pioli are calling the shots, I have no worries about our offensive production. We will be fine. If Brady can do what he did last with no running game, imagine what he will do with a good running game... with or WITHOUT that little brat. The TB's are Patriot players, DB is not!

mikey said:

He doesn't want to play here....NO solution..

emoney_33 said:
Would branch have been so "clutch" without tommy's touch? Branch played great for us, but how much of that was his talent and how much of is was Branch's? The thing we will miss is how him and Brady were always on the same page, but he isn't the only receiver around who Brady will be on the same page with. Seymour and Brady deserved raises, Branch may have gotten a raise if he went about it the right way, like I don't know, keeping the negotiations private and actually making a counter offer.

He just showed everyone how NOT to deal with the patriots FO. If the patriots break now, he will have won and all the players will see that. It isn't like Branch is the best WR in the league, so there is no reason we should listen to his demands especially when he takes the baby way about it. It would set a horrible precedent and we've won superbowls because of having a good 53 man roster, not because of having a few elite players. Brady is clutch, Branch was lucky to be on the receiving end.

As long as Tom Brady is healthy and playing for us, and as long as BB/Pioli are calling the shots, I have no worries about our offensive production. We will be fine. If Brady can do what he did last with no running game, imagine what he will do with a good running game... with or WITHOUT that little brat. The TB's are Patriot players, DB is not!

I was just SUGGESTING what I thought is a very SENSIBLE solution to the Branch conundrum.

The JETS' offer is very similar to our offer.

As to his hurt feeling, we just give him a big hug.

So what is the problem??

mikey said:
As to his hurt feeling, we just give him a big hug.
The way Rodney hugged Troy Brown?

The biggest problem, IMO, is now precedent. It will basically say that this is the way to get what you want from the pats FO. It can't and won't happen. If nothing went public, and they didnt' make a huge fuss about this and file the grievance and blah blah blah, then maybe things would be different. All they had to do was NEGOTIATE with the pats, but Chayut convinced deion (who's an idiot for going along) that this is what he should do. It would cause massive problems when trying to re-sign other players.

Deion said he would play out his contract, but then Chayut got into his head and his weak-mind fell for it. Now he's screwed and anyone else thinking about taking ths route will see that you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

Now if they win the grievance, this as well as the NFL all goes to hell. When the players start running the league, it will ruin everything.

PatsFan37 said:
The way Rodney hugged Troy Brown?

I would love for Branch to be on another team right now and play the patriots with rodney back there... "you thought I hit hard in practice... feel the pain!"

Worst Case Branch Scenario...

We trade him to the jets for their 2nd rounder (almost a 1st),
then we play him twice a year with Vrabel assigned to knock him down within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage every time he is on the field.
HEHEHE

Branch could have been given a "BIG HUG" by the Patriots when they had the chance. He was already angry over the last year of his contract. If he had recieved one of the freed up commercial spots vactated by Vinatieri it would have bought them some time to renegotiate sometime during the season. They chose not to and it was a "HUGE SLAP IN THE FACE" as opposed to a "BIG HUG".

IMO I don't blame him for leaving one bit. But, I also don't think it will impact the team at all. Best as this point they get what they can, he was as good as gone when he felt slighted anyways. The only way they were going to keep him would have been by overpaying him.

emoney_33 said:
I would love for Branch to be on another team right now and play the patriots with rodney back there... "you thought I hit hard in practice... feel the pain!"

"Feel the pain"? I'd like to think Rodney Harrison's level of trash talk is better than that.

Is that what you imagine him saying back there all day?

What else is he saying back there?

"Hey, here comes the thunder"
"Pain train! Comin' through! Chooo Chooo!... Chooo Chooo!"
"I will take you down, sucka, take you down to Chinatown... all the way around, grind you to the ground... make your family frown... *mutters* turn your life upside-down... make you my b$*^#, wear a wedding gown... "
"I like to kick ***** and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum"
"Listen, Jack, I am gonna hit you like I'm Sinbad from Necessary Roughness"

RI Pats Fan said:
"Feel the pain"? I'd like to think Rodney Harrison's level of trash talk is better than that.

Is that what you imagine him saying back there all day?

What else is he saying back there?

"Hey, here comes the thunder"
"Pain train! Comin' through! Chooo Chooo!... Chooo Chooo!"
"I will take you down, sucka, take you down to Chinatown... all the way around, grind you to the ground... make your family frown... *mutters* turn your life upside-down... make you my b$*^#, wear a wedding gown... "
"I like to kick ***** and chew bubble gum and I'm all out of bubble gum"
"Listen, Jack, I am gonna hit you like I'm Sinbad from Necessary Roughness"

You really focused on that part of my post? It was a quote for the message to deion not what rodney would actually say... Find something else to complain about please.

Last edited:
People take things too serious lol

The way I figure, almost everything that could be said, has been said. Lighten up. I'm not saying the rest of your post wasn't valid, but "feel the pain" was funny to me.

RI Pats Fan said:
People take things too serious lol

The way I figure, almost everything that could be said, has been said. Lighten up. I'm not saying the rest of your post wasn't valid, but "feel the pain" was funny to me.

Alright sorry for being too defensive, just some people like to jump all over others' posts. Next time I will be sure to be more creative and give you a better Harrison trash talk experience, though i must warn I am not known for my creativity. Remind me not to ask my little cousin what the 2nd graders use for trash talk :)

It's not yet over:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2570152

Pacific Trade Winds? Seattle still interested in Branch

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Rebuffed once in an attempt to acquire New England Patriots holdout wide receiver Deion Branch, the Seattle Seahawks may take another run at trying to complete a trade, with their continuing interest in the four-year veteran fueled by continuing concerns about their own receiving corps.

The Seahawks, along with the New York Jets, had fashioned a contract agreement by Friday with Branch agreeing to a six-year, $39 million deal that would have paid him $13 million in combined bonuses and about $23 million in the first three years of the contract. Neither team, however, could satisfy the demands of the Patriots, who are seeking first- and middle-round choices as compensation, and the 4 p.m. ET deadline set by New England passed without a trade.

But there were indications on Friday night and early Saturday that the Seahawks remain very interested in Branch and could try to resuscitate a potential trade. The reason: The defending NFC champions will begin practice for next week's regular-season opener with lingering question marks in their passing game.

Wide receiver Darrell Jackson, arguably the Seahawks' best receiver, has twice in the past year undergone surgery to his left knee. After missing 10 games in 2005, his durability has come into question. Jackson will return to the field on Monday, but he hasn't practiced since last February, in preparation for Super Bowl XL, and coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged the team will have to "be smart" in easing him back into action.

In addition, tight end Jerramy Stevens will probably miss the first month of the season because of a torn meniscus in his left knee. Stevens is an often-inconsistent pass-catcher, as evidenced in the Super Bowl, but he does provide Seattle with a big presence in the middle of the field. Wide receiver Nate Burleson, signed as a free agent in the spring, is still assimilating the offense, and is more of a deep threat who may not be the best fit in a West Coast-style passing game. Always-reliable wide receiver Bobby Engram, forced to play outside in 2005 because of injuries, is far more effective working out of the slot.

Branch, whose obvious displeasure with his current New England contract has not overshadowed the fact that he is regarded as a solid locker room presence and hard worker, could be the prescription for what ails the Seahawks' passing game right now. But it will probably mean that Seattle would have to offer more than the second-round draft choice floated in the first round of trade discussions.

The fact that Friday's deadline passed without a deal will not preclude Seattle from trying to rekindle the trade talks. The deadline was an arbitrary one, established only by New England officials, and there was nothing officially binding about it.

Whether or not the Seahawks make another move on Branch, the wide receiver plans to proceed with the two grievances filed on his behalf by the NFL Players Association on Friday afternoon.

The first grievance, which likely will be heard within a week by an arbitrator agreed to by the NFLPA and the league Management Council, contends that the Patriots breached a verbal agreement to trade Branch before Friday at 4 p.m. if they received a "fair and reasonable" proposal for him from another team. The second grievance, which falls under the purview of "special master" Stephan Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, charges that the Patriots did not negotiate in good faith.

Conventional wisdom around the league is that, even with the outcome of such non-injury grievances more difficult to predict in recent years, Branch will have a difficult time prevailing in either case.

Barring a trade, there certainly seems to be no imminent or easy resolution to Branch's status right now. The Patriots retain his contractual rights and Branch, entering the final season of his original rookie deal and scheduled to have a base salary of $1.05 million for 2006, has told friends he intends to remain away from the team until the final six games of the season. He could report for those games, earn a season toward the league pension plan, and become an unrestricted free agent next spring.

Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the Patriots were able to fine Branch $14,000 per day during his absence from camp, and he has accumulated more than $500,000 in fines. With the start of the season, New England can no longer impose daily fines, but can withhold Branch's game checks.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back