PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriotsrule

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
There is a pretty good article up on Patriots.com about draft day sleepers.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=18866&pcid=46

What about this Brent Hawkins guy from Illinois State? I doubt many, if any, of us have ever seen an Illinois State football game but does anyone have any insight on him? These guys seem to like him and he sounds like he would be a good fit in the Patriots defense.

Brent Hawkins, Illinois State – Looking for the possible steal of the draft who is also a perfect fit for the Patriots system? If so, Hawkins could be your man. Hawkins began his college career at Purdue before transferring to Illinois State where he was a two-year starter. He dominated at the Division I-AA level, recording 17 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss as a senior. Hawkins has one of the quickest first steps of any player in this draft and that’s something you just can’t teach. He’s so quick off the ball that he looks like he’s offsides most of the time. He played defensive end in college but at 245 pounds, Hawkins projects as a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL. He was the Defensive MVP of the Hula Bowl and with his athletic ability Hawkins has as much upside of any defensive player in this draft. Hawkins isn’t only athletic but he shows good instincts on the field and is also better in coverage than most people would think.

Hawkins is a little raw and did play against a lower level of competition than some of the other 3-4 tweeners in this draft. He has a good swim move but sometimes when he doesn’t beat his man to the outside bigger linemen can overpower him. Overall though, Hawkins has very few holes in his game when it comes to rushing the quarterback.

Hawkins won’t fit into every scheme but he has the freakish skills to be an impact player in the right system and that system is the one the Patriots run. Give Belichick a guy with Hawkins’ raw physical tools and ability to rush the passer and you could be looking at a Pro Bowler two or three years down the road. He has that much upside. There hasn’t been much buzz about Hawkins but if he lands in New England on draft day, Patriots fans may look back years from know and laugh at where the team selected one of the most dominant 3-4 pass rushers in the NFL. I’m telling you, this guy has that kind of potential if he goes to the right team.

Might be a Pats pick. Might produce. Still waiting for Klecko's "high motor" to justify his existence. Can't help but root for the guy...

All will be revealed within 80 or so hours... WHOO HOOO!

PFnV

Babatunde is my official "sleeper"

Babatunde Oshinowo, Stanford

A perfect fit for the Patriots as a backup to Vince Wilfork. Oshinowo has experience playing nose tackle in the 3-4 defense at Stanford and is very stout against the run. He’s a smart player and that allows him to recognize plays and get to the ball carrier despite his lack of quickness. Oshinowo isn’t a great inside pass rusher but neither is Wilfork. In a 3-4 defense, nose tackles need to take on blocks and stuff the run and that’s exactly what Oshinowo excels at. He isn’t as highly regarded because he lacks some of the physical skills teams crave. The Patriots, however, look for players who fit their system and Oshinowo is one of those players.

Should be there for us in the third round with either of our picks

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Babatunde is my official "sleeper"

Should be there for us in the third round with either of our picks

I like Babatunde too. Here is his scouting report:
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?player=7552&type=scoutingreport
Steelers and Browns are said to be considering him also. I think it would be good for Vince to have a little competiton, or at the very least a capable sub. Plus I just like the idea of yelling "Babatunde" at the TV

Last edited:
Brent Hawkins:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 255 (That's up considerably from his ISU playing weight.)
40 yard dash: 4.56
225 reps: 23
Vertical leap: 38.5"
Broad jump: 10'8" (Reggie Bush's is an even 11', and he's a RB.)

I refuse to believe there's someone named Babatunde in the draft, or anywhere else except maybe on the set of the Howard Stern show.

That said, we really need to draft this guy just because if he pans out, saying his name on the PA will sound so great...

"BABATUNDEEEEEEEE"

From my Hula Bowl Summary...

Defensive End:

David Tollefson DE 6-4 255 Northwest Mo. State made some great plays, though there was one time when he kept outside contain but was unable to get back inside to make the tackle. Brent Hawkins DE 6-2 240 Illinois St. has been trained by the son of Dwight Freeney’s coach and was a powerful speed rusher off the edge with several hurries and a sack. Jeremy Mincey DE 6-4 265 Florida also was strong off the edge with good containment and three credited sacks. John Syptak 6-2 250 Rice was listed as an ILB, but lined up at DE and did a decent job. Any of these ends could be candidates for 3-4 LB with some work.

Many of the sdcouting reports think Oshinowo would make a better 3-4 NT than a 4-3 NT. I'd also include Stanley of VT, Jolly of Texas A&M and Mania Brown of BYU as backup NT prospects that could project well in the Pats defense. Jolly could also play some DE in our 3-4, so that gives him a little of the versatility that BB craves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back